• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Mobo for 4770k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xorbex

Registered
Looking for a great OC board with wifi, BT, SLI, min 6 sata 3 and 6 usb 3. Should I stick with the UD5H or go with a Sniper or Maximus. $$ isn't an issue but cheaper is always better. I'm just not sure a $400 board has more to offer than a $250 for what I want, I'll never run more than 2x sli or cross. Any other reccomendations? I've had bad experiences with Intel boards and EVGA.

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

If I may ask a couple of questions:

1)What are planning of using your new build for.....i.e. gaming,"general desktop",
heavy memory intensive needs, etc.

2)What are you planing cooling wise. High-end air, AIO water cooling, extreme cooling (LN2).

3)Are there any motherboard "brands" you prefer or wouldn't consider?

4)Assuming that you are O/C (can't imagine that you aren't:p) what is you "target" O/C.

The reason being to ask all this is to get a "flavor" of what you perceive as to what your needs are. Today and future needs.

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

If I may ask a couple of questions:

1)What are planning of using your new build for.....i.e. gaming,"general desktop",
heavy memory intensive needs, etc.

2)What are you planing cooling wise. High-end air, AIO water cooling, extreme cooling (LN2).

3)Are there any motherboard "brands" you prefer or wouldn't consider?

4)Assuming that you are O/C (can't imagine that you aren't:p) what is you "target" O/C.

Also i should mention that I will be running 2x 660Ti's.

The reason being to ask all this is to get a "flavor" of what you perceive as to what your needs are. Today and future needs.

1) Mainly gaming but i do get into encoding and plan on photo/video editing in the future. Basically my rig is my entertainment piece in the Livingroom so lots of media.

2) H100i or H110i

3) I do like MSI, Giga, Asus --- Hate EVGA and Intel boards as I've had bad experiences

4) Target O/C is as high as I can push the 4770 that I purchase so lets say 4.5 or above

1) Mainly gaming but i do get into encoding and plan on photo/video editing in the future. Basically my rig is my entertainment piece in the Livingroom so lots of media.

2) H100i or H110i

3) I do like MSI, Giga, Asus --- Hate EVGA and Intel boards as I've had bad experiences

4) Target O/C is as high as I can push the 4770 that I purchase so lets say 4.5 or above

Alright I think I understand what you are looking for......

That being said I have this small:suggestion

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157377

I believe that your "needs' and pricewise you'll being interested.

You get free memory (8G) so you'll just need to purchase another 8G and you be good to go!

Might need to add wi-fi or bluetooth:shrug: Does have HDMI in and out.

Figure that it should be a good "prosumer" choice.

Don't know if you have seen the Corsair H220. If I don't ask..... Price wise it is around $140.00.

Thanks I will look at that board soon, just trying to fix my computer haha.

Do you hate just EVGA Intel boards, Intel branded Intel boards or all Intel technology based boards?

Alright I think I understand what you are looking for......

That being said I have this small:suggestion

You get free memory (8G) so you'll just need to purchase another 8G and you be good to go!

Might need to add wi-fi or bluetooth:shrug: Does have HDMI in and out.

Figure that it should be a good "prosumer" choice.

Don't know if you have seen the Corsair H220. If I don't ask..... Price wise it is around $140.00.

I thought the 220 was Swiftech? I would want the 2x120 version since it will fit.

Also what about the Asus Saber?

Do you hate just EVGA Intel boards, Intel branded Intel boards or all Intel technology based boards?

I hate EVGA boards cause if the issues I had with my old Evga 780i Sli, was supposed to be enthusiast but was not. Also hate Intel boards because of my current DX58SO... what a headache this thing has been. I spend more time fixing it then I do play with it. Both boards when released were fairly high up the charts but failed miserably.

I thought the 220 was Swiftech? I would want the 2x120 version since it will fit.

Also what about the Asus Saber?

You are right! I was thinking future tense/comparisons/ with the 220.

Asus Saber? Do you mean the Sabertooth? If you are and you live near a Microcenter they have a great $40 off deal. Plus 4770k is 280ish as well!

Again sorry for the mix up,

Just to throw another idea at you for cooling:

Attachments

• ztable.png
    ztable.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,140
Last edited:
Yes the Sabertooth. No I do not live near a microcenter. Either going to order from Newegg, Tiger Direct or NCIX. Depending on what I go with. Not interested in RAM as I have 16GB of Corsair XMS3 1600mhz

Yes the Sabertooth. No I do not live near a microcenter. Either going to order from Newegg, Tiger Direct or NCIX. Depending on what I go with. Not interested in RAM as I have 16GB of Corsair XMS3 1600mhz

Thanks for clarifying...if you want to go $30 more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131978

Has Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth v4.0, Bluetooth v3.0 + HS. The Sabertooth has neither.

Of course it doesn't have "thermal armour".

Found a nice link that has lots of motherboard reviews:

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/motherboards

That is an unwise suggestion. You never want to get 2 8GB kits when you have the option of getting a single 16GB kit. For ultimate compatibility assuredness, you want to get a single 16GB kit. The ASrock fatality bundle is not for this person as he wants 16GB of RAM.

That is an unwise suggestion. You never want to get 2 8GB kits when you have the option of getting a single 16GB kit. For ultimate compatibility assuredness, you want to get a single 16GB kit. The ASrock fatality bundle is not for this person as he wants 16GB of RAM.

Thank you for clarifying. He has his RAM now we just need to help him find the right board. Any Ideas (you know that I am all ears:D).

After some research I'm trying to decide between

1) Asus Sabertooth
2) MSI Mpower
3) Asrock Fatal1ty

Any reccomendations

After some research I'm trying to decide between

1) Asus Sabertooth
2) MSI Mpower
3) Asrock Fatal1ty

Any reccomendations

I'm a little squeamish (then again I watching the Blackhawks). :mad::rain:

I personally would go with Asus first. Asus adds (or) includes things/features/etc. that sometimes other over look. Usually built like a tank. Sure it cost more...

I think the MSI Mpower is a great looking board, IIRC Yellow and Orange. If you are into the "bling".

Which Asrock Fatal1ty? (Asrock loves to give one lots of choices)

I am leaning towards the Mpower but im not into the yellow and black. The Fatal1ty Z87 Performance looks the best IMHO. The saber is in a world of its on in terns of looks but I don't dislike it.

I am leaning towards the Mpower but im not into the yellow and black. The Fatal1ty Z87 Performance looks the best IMHO. The saber is in a world of its on in terns of looks but I don't dislike it.

They all look to be very solid choices. The Mpower is a combo deal with a 4770k on the egg....

I know people either love or hate the looks of things. I like the Mpower look...again I'd mostly likely would not be buying on looks alone.

Feature wise they all have their respective pluses and minuses....

I know that which one you pick I highly doubt you'll make a "poor" choice.;)

like was mentioned above, you can't go wrong with any. They will all handle ambient overclocks without flinching.

Outside of the look of the sabertooth, which I dislike, its a solid board, just perhaps relying more on marketing and potential buyer ignorance than substance. That said, again, it is a solid board, but fetches a curious premium to me.

Back