• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Mobo for 4770k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you're going with a windowed case or a benching rack maybe the colors matter. If it's going to be out of sight, what shows on the monitor is what counts more.

Well for what its worth here, this looks like a very good prospect for a motherboard!! AJ. :thup: :shrug:

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157369

It has all the things said and mentioned in the thread and furthermore will not cost you a arm and leg to buy. As for looks its super sexyyy! ;)

Waterproof by Conformal Coating Conductive liquids, such as water, pretty much destroy all kinds of electronics on contact. That's why ASRock has implemented a special layer of Conformal Coating on their motherboards; this makes the motherboards invulnerable to conductive liquids, corrosion and dust. Users won't have to worry about spilling liquid nitrogen, liquid helium or even clam chowder over their motherboards while overclocking.
:thup:

Not too worried what it looks like inside since im the only one who will ever see it. Have two mismatched 660ti's as well. Pretty certain the mpower is the one im getting. Just not sure if i want the mpower or mpower max. Trying to justify the $30 in price. Other than more phases and more usb 3 headers i don't see any bennefit.

Not too worried what it looks like inside since im the only one who will ever see it. Have two mismatched 660ti's as well. Pretty certain the mpower is the one im getting. Just not sure if i want the mpower or mpower max. Trying to justify the $30 in price. Other than more phases and more usb 3 headers i don't see any bennefit.

My impression is that anything above $230 is for people into extreme OC, that needs many many features or ones that are looking for something ultra-fancy. So, I'd go for a normal MPower...

I hate EVGA boards cause if the issues I had with my old Evga 780i Sli, was supposed to be enthusiast but was not. Also hate Intel boards because of my current DX58SO... what a headache this thing has been. I spend more time fixing it then I do play with it. Both boards when released were fairly high up the charts but failed miserably.

Its tough to blame 780i problems on evga every brand running those nvidia chipsets had major issues usually.

I spent weeks getting my 790i to work properly and ram never did run past 1600mhz stable.

as far as the intel board they have come along way since then.

Although for the 220+ premium they want they need to get their memory timings sorted before id recommend one of the extreme end intel boards i had alot of memory timing issues with the DZ77GAL-70K they sent me at work its in the box now.

Asrock has won me over with their z77 oc formula and I've heard good things about the extreme line they have and the pricing is good . one in that line that has what you need features wise would be a good choice.

Its tough to blame 780i problems on evga every brand running those nvidia chipsets had major issues usually.

How very true that is.

What Asrock z87 do you reccomend. Remember I want a great full time O/C (i know its cpu dependant) and don't want the board being an issue.

Im running sata 3 ssd and also a raid setup. 660ti's sli.

This is now getting interesting. I do have an ac router so the extreme6 looks promising. What is the board like in comparison to the fatal1ty pro and the mpower? Will all boards OC similarily?

On ambient, absolutely as you are limited by temperatures. Under extreme (DI/LN2), The Mpower would be my choice, however, I have no experience with the other boards.

I will be using a h100i or h110i.

Why is choosing a MB so hard now haha, I guess many options are a good thing.

Its so hard because of all the marketing mumbo jumbo IMO. The vast majority of users will be plenty happy, even with heavy ambient overclocking, with a $150 board. But due to, ZOMG OUR BOARDS HAS THIS and ZOMG BUT OUR BOARD HAS THAT, it tends to simply wave bling in your face.

Who makes the better quality product and had better support.

Asrock or MSI

6 of one half dozen of the other to me. Though I'm more than certain people will chime in with their ONE horror story like its The Gospel. ;)

Too much eye candy can be very distracting and makes for poor decisions and cost lots of unnecessary money as well!! AJ. ;) :attn:

But that said the Asrock EX 4 or 6 would do the job as ED said that's the Haswell versions! :thup:

Last edited:
mhm like my sandy system I went with just a asus z68 v-pro and i ran the 2500k @ 4.7 no issues on a corsair a50 i was more limited by the cooler than the board as when it was colder out i could run it even higher with a window open still running it as my work pc today years later.

now i have a asrock oc formula and while i love the adjustments and mem timings ect my oc on my 3770 is only 100 mhz more and i'm on water now which im sure makes the big dif.

Who makes the better quality product and had better support.

Asrock or MSI

6 of one half dozen of the other to me. Though I'm more than certain people will chime in with their ONE horror story like its The Gospel. ;)

Too much eye candy can be very distracting and makes for poor decisions and cost lots of unnecessary money as well!! AJ. ;) :attn:

But that said the Asrock EX 4 or 6 would do the job as ED said that's the Haswell versions! :thup:

Didn't realize this until yesterday while looking at the Asrock Extreme 6 - it does have the conformal coating.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157371

Saw this review at Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z87-haswell-motherboard-review,3524.html

It looks to me that performance wise it is almost a "Five way shoot out"

According to the Gospel of OC - I wouldn't exclude any based on performance.

Customer service wise? Asrock may be better than MSI. Don't remember where I saw it though. Have been reading too much lately.

From "an OC member" point of view. Performance>Features>Reliability>Customer Service>"Bling Factor"(?).:shrug:

Seems that people tend to put different values on the order....don't know how "value" or cost factors into this, since; most people seem to have different opinions and viewpoints.

Hence the remarks i made about EYE CANDY etc. For newer members it can mean the difference between a great board and experience. Or sadly as ive seen in the past on here a large PAPER WEIGHT and a very bad taste in the mouth! AJ. ;)

P.S. Plus the pain of having to buy all over again. :mad:

Back