• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best NVidia Graphics card for an Asrock 990FX Extreme4 motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inzight

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. I bought an Asrock 990FX Extreme4 motherboard and an AMD FX-8350 core black edition, 4 GHz, 16 MB processor to replace some old equipment. Been a few years since I did this. Unfortunately when I hooked it all up my graphics card didn't want to work. Is this because it is not supported with the newer motherboard? My old graphics card is a BFG Tech NVidia GeForce 9600GT.

The rest of the system appeared to boot correctly (though its hard to tell when nothing displays on the screen). I didn't get a response from the card at all not even BIOS. I have tried to look at Asrocks website to workout if it is the graphics card that is the fault but I'm finding it lees than helpful.

I have now had to rebuild my old machine and the graphics card works, so at least i know I didn't fuse it when I was changing it over. Really would like someone to give me some help as don't want to outlay money for a new graphics card if tht is not the problem. If it is want to make sure I get one that will work.

Thanks in advance.

The motherboard plays almost no role in selecting your GPU. It has a PCIe slot and 99% of GPUs are PCIe.

Did you try a different slot on the new PC? If you tested the GPU on the old PC and it works, its not the GPU...

Thanks, I wil try it again over the weekend. Had some work I had to produce so could n't mess around playing so much. Rebuilding to my old state was a pain as I had changed some memory and drives around and it wouldn't boot properly.

I know this is almost besides the point, butwe should really answer the question. The best GPU for that combo is without a shadow of doubt, nVidia Titan.

Thanks everyone. I am going to try tomorrow with a rebuild. If the old graphics card kicks in then I will delay buying a new one but, Pierre3400 if it doesn't I will try to find a Titan like you suggest. Will let all know if success or failure tomorrow..... hey, just saw the price of a titan graphics card... not quite the price I was thinking. lol.

I know this is almost besides the point, butwe should really answer the question. The best GPU for that combo is without a shadow of doubt, nVidia Titan.

Can't tell if serious.

@op, I have experiences with ASRock boards denying the existence of nVidia cards. Try updating the BIOS and removing the CMOS battery.

All, it now works... kind of. I am installing all of the drivers and utilities now. Had to manually power off the board and push the reset button as the graphics card wasn't being picked up just by turning the machine on. Hopefully once the drivers are installed and I restart this will be fixed. Thanks for the help.

Back