• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sebrodma

Registered
Hi guys!!! My brother gave me an Asrock N68C MoBo (I don't remember the exactly model) and it supports PII/6 cores and it's DDR2/DDR3... So, I want to use it as a second rig and I want to know which is the best Phenom for gaming (I like The Elder Scrolls, Two Worlds 1&2 and other RPG Open World :attn:)..? Can you help with some recommendations?

Thanks!!! :thup:

EDIT: Forget to tell you that I don't want to OC... XD And I'm going to buy an HD7970 for my main rig... So, for this rig, which GPU you recommend me?

Seriously... I don't know... XD I know that this MoBo supports Phenom II 1055T, but it's for a second rig... What's the difference between 4 or 6 cores? I know that it's 2 cores, but there's a lot of difference for gaming???

Not too sure but i don't really know if there is any difference? since i haven't had an 6 core AMD Cpu yet. But i think most people have 4 cores for gaming and for doing other stuff.

Some of the Phenom IIs are getting a little more difficult to find.
I would say try finding a Zosma 960T X4 or a 1090T X6.
Any of the higher end Phenom IIs will do.

Exactly... I guess that a 4 core processor is enough for gamming... I know that the 96BE, 980BE and 970BE are good, but the recommendations are better...

Exactly... I guess that a 4 core processor is enough for gamming... I know that the 96BE, 980BE and 970BE are good, but the recommendations are better...
Check to make sure your motherboard supports DDR3.

The differences between the 4 core and the 6 core chips is the Thuban is an updated design with a better IMC. The memory controller on the Thuban is stout and easily handles 1600MHz ddr3

In most cases, even the Denab is successful at 1600Mhz DDR3, but has a few more quirks.

The Zosma is actually a Thuban with two cores disabled. This is beneficial because you get the updated IMC and they tend to run a little cooler, which can be good for overclocking. There is also a chance you'll be able to unlock the extra two cores and run it as an X6.

If you ever choose to overclock, you can usually get a little more mileage out of the Zosma and Thuban on the NB and memory overclocks.

There were some hybrid DDR2/DDr3 manufactured by ASRock in the early days of DDR3. Better check to see what is the max DDR3 frequency the board will support as it may no support 1600 mhz. Don't be surprised if you have lots of problems with overheating and instability if you try to run a 6 core Phenom II and I certainly would not try to overclock anything on that board that has more than two or three cores.

OP said:
to use it as a second rig and I want to know which is the best Phenom for gaming

EDIT: Forget to tell you that I don't want to OC

Okay if we are real we would answer this question just like this. Buy the fastest "stock/default" speed Deneb 4 core processor you can get.
1. Generally speaking speed not cores are paramount still today.

2. Unless purchased used, there are no 1090T or 1100T processors available thru normal buying channels in the Usa. You might have other purchasing routes open to you being out of the lower 48 states.

3. Every other generally available 6 core Thuban processor would have to be overclocked to reach the speed of the fastest Deneb core procssor. Overclocked a good bit in fact.

4. I agree with 'trents' in that I doubt the good sense of depending on much of an overclock from that motherboard and this again leaves out the generally available 6 core Thuban processors.

5. So for gaming where cpu mhz is still king, the fastest 4 core Deneb processor you can find is the best for you and gaming.
RGone...

Deneb remains the champ of available PhII; Thuban chips are technically superior but almost impossible to find, and the ones you do find are universally overpriced... in short, their performance is only a little better than a comparable (MHz) Deneb, yet their price is significantly higher.

Hunt down a high MHz 4 core Deneb, then overclock the heck out of it. My little Deneb can handle anything I've thrown at it easily... so I don't think you can go to wrong with them one way or another.

Back