• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best processor for Gigabyte's GA7DXR please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chriztapuppy

I have a Gigabyte GA7DXR, and an AMD Thunderbird 1.2 - I want to upgrade to the best possible cpu for my board.

The mb takes 266fsb cpu's, and on the GA website it says it takes up to AthlonXP 2600+ cpu's...

Which 2600 is the best and can run on 266fsb, and also is it possible that the mb can take faster XP's, that were just not tested and reported on GA's website at the time the board was released?

I used to own that board. You could overclock but it wasn't a very high overclocker. It was a great superstable board, I'm talking rock solid stability. The best processor would be an unlocked barton, just set the FSB to 133 and hard code a multplier of what ever you would like.

I don't trust listings at all I go by what I know on my gear. I know for sure that board will use 133FSB procs. So getting even a barton in there will work if set to 133FSB. It just won't be able to identify it properly. Any 133FSB tbred or palo core will work for sure. So the 2600XP is the highest supported Proc.

Back