• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Ram selection for FX9590?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

//:mC.n

Registered
Got a FX9590...Looking at RAM. Want to get 16gb. My motherboard specs show it handles up to 2400mhz O.C. Even the 1866mhz shows the O.C. I have the Crosshair V Forumula Z board I have seen mixed suggestions with AMD chips to go with 1866mhz or 1600mhz. The 1866mhz times are 9-10-9-27. The 1600mhz times are 9-9-9-24. If there that much performance difference? or even worth getting the 1866mhz and overclocking?

I was looking at the AMD RAM myself. My friend had the AMD Black Edition RAM @1333mhz with the Phenom II x4 and had a lot of good things to say about it. I ended up going with the Corsair Dominator RAM over the AMD because it was only 1.5v compared to 1.65v and had better timing. We'll see how it goes.

Slightly off topic, but what's wrong with the AMD ram? I thought it was just rebranded Patriot stuff :shrug:

I think what is more important, is what is under the heat spreaders, than the brand itself. I have no experience, with AMD branded ram, but I have use the others. If it is rebranded Patriot, then, it should be good to go.

I have to say I'm a real fan of the G.Skill stuff. I have a few different kits here and it all just works without any fiddling around. The sniper 2133 that I have I would recommend to anyone. It wasn't too pricey and it's very flexible. I can run from 1800 tight to 2500. But you already have some decent 1866 in your rig, you're really not going to see much if any improvement by going with a higher frequency. 90% of my best bench subs on the FX CPU's is at 1800 7-9-8. See if you can tighten that stuff up and unless you're going for benchmarks you won't see much of a difference. Your CPU_NB speed will help more than better ram TBH.

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866mhz.

I had 16gb 1600 mhz Gskill RipJaws, but I wanted to update and go two 8gb sticks instead of four 4gb sticks. Waiting on them to arrive in the mail.

Anxious to see how they perform. It was between them and the AMD R9 ram for the sake of an entire AMD setup. The deciding factor was the voltage, 1.5v (Corsair) vs. 1.65v (AMD). Have to research and learn more on overclocking RAM, but figured I would have more room to OC with lower stock voltage.

Back