• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best solution for noisy, dieing northbridge fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

my ic7-g has a northbridge fan that has started making a lot of noise. I was thinking the asus canterwood boards have wimpy passive northbridge sinks. why don't we just unplug them when they die and run passive? It certainly is cheap and easy! I have a system temp around 25C and i'm going to give that a try. Is their any danger to this?

I have a NB-1C standing by but I was hoping this would be just as good.

Going passive (Zalman NB32J) has definitely worked fine for me. It helps if you have some airflow like the down wash from a CPU HSF with a 92mm or 120mm fan. Don't think the system temp increased. It's quite steady at 28-30C on my sig system.

I looked at that, however I don't want to use adhesive and the mounting system won't work with my chipset. The shorter zalman will fit, but the bigger one won't fit under an xp-120. Right now I have found the best temps using my fan sucking through the heatsink (almost 10C better load). I know it would be more ideal to have a fan blowing, but do you think this would still work well?

I'm currently trying just unplugging the northbridge to see how it goes.

edit: oh wow I just saw your pic! what did you make that bracket out of?!

great job on the clip! here's the link to my cooling results. On blow with no side panel fan I was getting up to 58C with even pretty big fans! sucking, and with the side panel fan, and very slow quiet fans I am down to 45C right now (as5 has set it)! This is with a chip that is over 100Watts, plus on boards notorious for displaying higher than real temps.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=382688

If your XP-120 is right over the passive cooler, why not notice how the air from the XP-120's fan blows directly down onto it? Or is it not that close

Back