• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Sub-$50 Video Card for O/Cing & Modding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

icedogg9999

I would like to get a VERY CHEAP video card, that I could overclock a lot. I would buy some heatsinks for the ram and but a new cooler on it.

So, I would like to spend $50 total, for the small heatsinks, cooler, and video card.

I'm not looking for the best card, and I will not use it for a lot of gaming, maybe some old games.

I would like to get a cheap video card to experiment with, so I could modd and overclock it without worrying about breaking a $150 card.

So what would you guys recommend, a radeon 7500? gf2, gf3, gf mx? Thanks.

The Radeon 7500 is good, so is the Geforce4 MX440, but I dont know if it would be under 50$ with the cooling gear included. Otherwise any Geforce2 (non MX) should be fine for what you want.

Geforce 2 GTS. I think Pricewatch lists a nice 64mb Visiontek one for a good price.

As for ramsinks, just cut apart an old Pentium heatsink into fourths or eights.

If you're buying used, R8500 or GF3, no contest....The others, even when overclocked enough to have a marshmellow roast, still will not compete with a stock R8500 or GF3....

i know, the R8500 and GF3's are very good cheap cards, but I would like a very cheap around $25-$40, even $50, I don't want a great card, i want one that i can experiment with to learn about modding and overclocking.

I'll probably mod heatsinks and a new gpu fan on it, and overclock it to its limits, it will be a learning experience and I'll see how good of a card i can get out of it.

should I get a geforce 2 mx, or not. Or should i get a gts? thanks.

icedogg9999 said:
i know, the R8500 and GF3's are very good cheap cards, but I would like a very cheap around $25-$40, even $50, I don't want a great card, i want one that i can experiment with to learn about modding and overclocking.

I'll probably mod heatsinks and a new gpu fan on it, and overclock it to its limits, it will be a learning experience and I'll see how good of a card i can get out of it.

should I get a geforce 2 mx, or not. Or should i get a gts? thanks.

Cool- great idea! I hear the R7500 is a little overclocking monster. I don't think you can go wrong w/ a Geofrce4MX440 or R7500

EDIT- Be carefull when grabbing a GF2 to overclock- some have sdr some have ddr- not sure which has what??:confused:

Last edited:
Ideally the only SDR Geforce2s are the MX200 and MX400, so do NOT get a Geforce2 MX. THe Geforce4 MX 440 is ddr (or should be). The MX420 is SDR.

THe only MX I would suggest is the MX440.

Hmm, what about the SiS 315. Not the fastest in the world, but does qualify for the cheap part at around $25-30 or so for a 64 MB DDR card.

Back