• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Thermal Compound/Paste application methods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

What are your preferred methods of applying thermal compound/paste?

I've tried several different methods myself.

Tried the dab o'paste in the center and locking the heat sink down on top of it method, as so often recommended, but found that method not to be very efficient. In my case the thermal paste only covered about half of the CPU with this method.

Also tried spreading the compound with a glove or plastic bag over my finger, but found the compound was so sticky it just stuck to the glove/plastic bag and I couldn't get it to spread on the heatsink.

I've also been told that spreading it with a paper towel can work, but that can also leave behind fibers in the thermal paste and also seems to dry the paste out quicker, so not such a great method IMO, though it will work in a pinch.

Personally I prefer the method of spreading it on the CPU with a credit card or other flat semi-rigid device. I like to know that my CPU has full coverage before I set my HS down on it. I've found that this method can get me a nice even coating that is not too thick, and the excess ends up on the card, so you can then use the excess on a Northbridge or Southbridge chipset if you wish.

Last edited:
With my p4 after my cpu upgrade i read online to first put very little and spread it on the cpu and heatsink, then i put a pea sized drop on the middle and i put the heatsink on.

You dont need to spread it like i did initially though. And because i was using a p4 and paste was good enough...
Arctic silver has guides on how to do it according to your processor.

What are your preferred methods of applying thermal compound/paste?

I've tried several different methods myself.

Tried the dab o'paste in the center and locking the heat sink down on top of it method, as so often recommended, but found that method not to be very efficient. In my case the thermal paste only covered about half of the CPU with this method.

Also tried spreading the compound with a glove or plastic bag over my finger, but found the compound was so sticky it just stuck to the glove/plastic bag and I couldn't get it to spread on the heatsink.

I've also been told that spreading it with a paper towel can work, but that can also leave behind fibers in the thermal paste and also seems to dry the paste out quicker, so not such a great method IMO, though it will work in a pinch.

Personally I prefer the method of spreading it on the CPU with a credit card or other flat semi-rigid device. I like to know that my CPU has full coverage before I set my HS down on it. I've found that this method can get me a nice even coating that is not too thick, and the excess ends up on the card, so you can then use the excess on a Northbridge or Southbridge chipset if you wish.

I like the blob method. CC spreading? Meh. Paper towel? Ack.

Depends on the paste type too, some are very thick.

I always use a razor blade on the CPU/IHS and put a dab on the center of the heatsink and rub it into the cracks with a plastic baggy.

I use a toothpick to put enough on the HS to cover the surface of the HS (use round toothpicks for this, flat won't hold up) then place on cpu and lock down. :comp:

With my p4 after my cpu upgrade i read online to first put very little and spread it on the cpu and heatsink, then i put a pea sized drop on the middle and i put the heatsink on.

You dont need to spread it like i did initially though. And because i was using a p4 and paste was good enough...
Arctic silver has guides on how to do it according to your processor.

This is the exact method I use, it works the best IMHO, especially when setting up phase change cooling, it was such a pain if I had to disassemble it to reapply

I put a drop in the middle and push the down heatink flat, then twist it back and fourth and and fourth and wiggle diagonally in both directions.

I get a fine film with no bubbles doing that, although if you ever lift while doing that you'll ruin the perfect contact.

I put a drop in the middle and push the down heatink flat, then twist it back and fourth and and fourth and wiggle diagonally in both directions.

I get a fine film with no bubbles doing that, although if you ever lift while doing that you'll ruin the perfect contact.

Thats how I always do it. Just did one yesterday - CM 212+ on my AMD X6 1090T @ stock settings - CPU temp - 26/38 (room temp 25 degrees)

To the last FOUR posters.

You ever pay attention to the post date that you are replying to?

Tech, why bump it when we had a new thread already started in the last few days?

Because you started the thread?

Tech, why bump it when we had a new thread already started in the last few days?

Why you gotta get on their case's? Just because a thread is old doesn't mean the question posed is of any less importance. AND the question hasn't changed, I'm still looking to find out if there are better or easier methods out there. This thread isn't even all that old, under a year anyway. I've seen far older threads get replies...

What do you mean there was a new thread started? Well, then they should have looked to see if there was already a previously existing thread before posting a new one on the same topic.

Because I remembered it was here. Was putting some paste on a HS earlier today and remembered this thread and thought I'd bump it up. Don't see the harm in that.

Last edited:

Well,

And I think the TIM thread has been replicated what... 1.58 billion times in the last decade, no?
:chair:

That "blob/dab 'o paste/pea-sized amount and lock it down method" seems to work better for me on stock Intel heatsinks than on stock AMD 'sinks, think it has something to do with Intel's being round.

Was thinking about that earlier today.

Back