• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Thermal Compound/Paste application methods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Been trying the blob/dab of paste method on my AMD 939 CPU's again lately. Seems to be working better than it used to, maybe it just didn't work with the paste I was using when I first tried it.

I'll say this much, if nothing else it's much faster than having to spread it with a credit card. Temps seem about the same as spreading it beforehand.

I've got a little plastic piece that I use to spread it even and thin.

After I spread it (very thin) with the plastic piece, I put my cooler on without mounts and move it in a figure 8 (people used to lapping/sanding correctly know why) until the layer of paste is extremely thin. Then I move it to center and attach the mounting hardware.

I've tried all methods with something like 200 mounts (thin layer, with card,blob, pea, rice, vertical line, X...).

The one I find the most efficient with both Intel and AMD 4 cores is a 2cm long, 1 mm wide vertical line in the middle with 4 VERY SMALL dots (1mm diameter) on the four corners like this:

EDIT: it's also a sign for calling visitors from outer space!

Attachments

• Tim.jpg
    Tim.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 125
I've got a little plastic piece that I use to spread it even and thin.

After I spread it (very thin) with the plastic piece, I put my cooler on without mounts and move it in a figure 8 (people used to lapping/sanding correctly know why) until the layer of paste is extremely thin. Then I move it to center and attach the mounting hardware.

I don't know what you mean by "sanding correctly". I'm an automotive painter and we have to sand everything (usually several times) to get a completely smooth painting surface with sand scratches for paint to hold on to, and to get a smooth as glass finish for buffing after it's painted. We always sand in a straight line If we sanded in a figure 8 I don't think we'd ever get those scratches buffed out. Maybe it's different for somebody working with wood or whatever, but not for what I'm used to.

I've tried all methods with something like 200 mounts (thin layer, with card,blob, pea, rice, vertical line, X...).

The one I find the most efficient with both Intel and AMD 4 cores is a 2cm long, 1 mm wide vertical line in the middle with 4 VERY SMALL dots (1mm diameter) on the four corners like this:

Thanks for that tip manu2b! I'll have to remember that next time I put on a heatsink.

I make a division symbol.. a line with a dot above and below heheh..

I also still use AS5 cuz its still pretty good, its just not as easy to get a good mount with it as it is with some of the newer stuff :bang head

I have tried many popular ways, wasted many tubes, my metheod works best for me :thup:

I've tried blob, I've tried spreading, I've tried a couple of different ways.

For me it always seems to work best when I randomly put many small dots all around.
May seem stupid, but it works for me...quite well, I might add.

I too was wondering about this. +1 thank Tech for the bumping this thread. I do the blob I wanted to know that the difference in Degrees would be for the different methods.

I don't know what you mean by "sanding correctly". I'm an automotive painter and we have to sand everything (usually several times) to get a completely smooth painting surface with sand scratches for paint to hold on to, and to get a smooth as glass finish for buffing after it's painted. We always sand in a straight line If we sanded in a figure 8 I don't think we'd ever get those scratches buffed out. Maybe it's different for somebody working with wood or whatever, but not for what I'm used to.

err, not what I meant.
I've been taught to sand in a figure 8 to produce a flat surface.

(something about rotational motions canceling eachother...)

sorry I should have stated more specifically what I meant.

Single blob works perfectly fine... you're really not going to see a huge difference in actual heatsink performance between the different application methods anyways.

I used to spread but haven't done for at least a year now.

Back