• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best value overclockable cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bascotie

Registered
Hi guys,

I just bought a 7970 card on slick deals and its time to find a CPU. I'm not in much of a rush but would like to find a powerful CPU when over clocked with great value.

Think of the e2160 chips that could over clock to 3.2ghz easily and would only cost 80 bucks. I am willing to spend more this time but it has been quite a while since I've done some true over clocking and seek your advice. Thank you!

In the past 3 generations of Intel CPUs, the low-end CPUs are locked down and cannot OC more than setting all cores to the CPU max Turbo multiplier. So, you won't find good OCing value like you did on LGA775. The cheapest, fairly current, Intel CPU that's overclockable would be a used i5 2500K in the $150-175 range. You would have to go back a 4th generation to socket LGA1156, to get to cheap overclockable Intel CPUs.

AMD would be the best choice for good OCing on a low budget with current gen CPUs.

In the past 3 generations of Intel CPUs, the low-end CPUs are locked down and cannot OC more than setting all cores to the CPU max Turbo multiplier. So, you won't find good OCing value like you did on LGA775. The cheapest, fairly current, Intel CPU that's overclockable would be a used i5 2500K in the $150-175 range. You would have to go back a 4th generation to socket LGA1156, to get to cheap overclockable Intel CPUs.

AMD would be the best choice for good OCing on a low budget with current gen CPUs.

Awesome reply, thank you. Not sure if I should ask this question in the AMD thread, but what would you recommend among the AMD chips? I am probably willing to spend up to $200 on a CPU for this build.

EDIT: Also, Tom's Hardware has the i5-3570k as the 'best gaming cpu' for the price of $220 (or $189 if you go to microcenter). From what they say, you can tune the multiplier to reach 4.5GHz with the right cooler. What do you think about that in comparison to the AMD's out there in this range?

Last edited:
The 2500k/3570k is probably your best choice, depending on the motherboard you have or want to get.
Amd will offer more budget purchases so you could go that way also.

For overclocking an AMD, they need a strong PWM section on the mobo, so you have to spend more on a better Mobo than Intel.
This^^^^
If you are looking at a Fx AMD then what Conumdrum says is so true. Most people thing going AMD is cheaper but when you add up the other components its about the same or even more. You cannot put one of these Fx 6xxx or 8xxx series processors on a cheap board and expect it to run decent overclocks. Then take into account what you'll need to cool it down. Finally you may also need a more powerful PSU to run a Fx 8xxx series over an I5 2500k/3570k. I can run my 2500k oced to 5.3 with my gtx 580 overclocked and bench it with a 650w bronze PSU. Put that same 580 in my 8350 rig with the 8350 oced over 5.0 and I'm overloading the Seasonic 650 gold series PSU and it is shutting down.

If planning on going AMD I have had a lot of fun with overclocking a 955be on an Asus M5A99X EVO board, though the 2500k/Asrock Extreme 4 I have will kick it in it arse.

And according to the AMD Section those Motherboards with the VRM Sections are getting less and less. After the new revisions that have been released lately, best to stick with Intel as they are holding all the cards at the moment. Yes i5, i7, 2500k or 2600k or top of the range i7-2700k would be perfect less heat to deal with and still you can achieve high Overclocks as well. Anything up to 4.8 with a descent Motherboard. AJ. ;) :salute:

This^^^^
If you are looking at a Fx AMD then what Conumdrum says is so true. Most people thing going AMD is cheaper but when you add up the other components its about the same or even more. You cannot put one of these Fx 6xxx or 8xxx series processors on a cheap board and expect it to run decent overclocks. Then take into account what you'll need to cool it down. Finally you may also need a more powerful PSU to run a Fx 8xxx series over an I5 2500k/3570k. I can run my 2500k oced to 5.3 with my gtx 580 overclocked and bench it with a 650w bronze PSU. Put that same 580 in my 8350 rig with the 8350 oced over 5.0 and I'm overloading the Seasonic 650 gold series PSU and it is shutting down.

If planning on going AMD I have had a lot of fun with overclocking a 955be on an Asus M5A99X EVO board, though the 2500k/Asrock Extreme 4 I have will kick it in it arse.

While I agree with you at some performance levels(trying to push max clocks) at a more casual overclock level it's hard for intel to compete with an fx-6300, GA-970A-UD3, 212 evo.

I agree with Xeon completely. Go with the GA-970A-UD3 and the FX-6300 or FX-8350, then give it some MegaHurts ;)

Thanks folks,

It sounds like the simple way to go here is a 3570k with a decent mobo. Now, When looking for a mobo, what is it that I should be looking for in terms of getting a better over clock? Chip set? Bios capabilities?

He's already got DDR3 1600 RAM though, so he could just toss it into either setup.

Didn't notice that since some of his posts don't have a sig. He could sell one of the sets to make up some cost :D

Didn't notice that since some of his posts don't have a sig. He could sell one of the sets to make up some cost :D

Definitely could sell one set.

Not ignoring free RAM, EVER! :D

To the OP, I think you'd have more fun OCing on the FX series, as long as you have a good heatsink or WC setup to get rid of the heat. Something like the big Phanteks or Noctua would be good and decently cheap, while the H100i would give a few degrees better performance.

As long as you don't need SLI, the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 board has been giving good results, has a good VRM section and is heatsinked, all for just over $100. Best budget board for AMD right now. It'll handle all the FX series very well.

While I agree with you at some performance levels(trying to push max clocks) at a more casual overclock level it's hard for intel to compete with an fx-6300, GA-970A-UD3, 212 evo.
I agree with you Xeon, I was in the mindset that the OP was looking to push max clocks, though that 970 UD3 is a pretty stout board, I'd assume it would be able to push either 6xxx or 8xxx series pretty far.

I agree with you Xeon, I was in the mindset that the OP was looking to push max clocks, though that 970 UD3 is a pretty stout board, I'd assume it would be able to push either 6xxx or 8xxx series pretty far.

I don't know why you say that, its an 8+2 heatsinked VRM, and the 970 vs 990 chipset doesn't do much, if anything, for the actual overclock.

Thanks. I'm probably going to keep the current setup together since it will be located in my other 'office' for work duties.

The 3570k is $190 at a local microcenter. I think I may go that route. Seems like a simple overclock (though that also means I can't go as far with it potentially), but still plenty of power for my purposes :)

I don't know why you say that, its an 8+2 heatsinked VRM, and the 970 vs 990 chipset doesn't do much, if anything, for the actual overclock.
I think you misunderstood me ATMINSIDE, I was saying that the 970 is a good board and with the 8+2 VRM section it should be able to push the Fx chips as far as any higher priced board. When I said I was in the mindset about the OP trying to push for max clocks and the expense of it. It seems as if the 970 UD3 are becoming harder to come by of late, though Newegg does have them in stock.

Back