• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best value overclockable cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks. I'm probably going to keep the current setup together since it will be located in my other 'office' for work duties.

The 3570k is $190 at a local microcenter. I think I may go that route. Seems like a simple overclock (though that also means I can't go as far with it potentially), but still plenty of power for my purposes :)

Don't get a 3570K, get a 4670K. Barely any more expensive, and it's current-gen technology.

You'll need a pretty beefy CPU cooler as the cheesy TIM used to hold the IHS on combined with integrated VRM on the CPU make for a hot-running chip.

To me, it's down to two choices. Do you want a 2500/600/700K, which will overclock the highest on air (5Ghz is not unattainable)? Or do you want the more current 4670K, which won't overclock as high on air but has many advantages, including:
PCIE3.0
SIX Sata 6gbps ports on chipset
Faster operation per Mhz
Deep sleep state

You won't overclock as high on the 4670K, but since 4.4Ghz on the 4670 is equivalent to like 4.8Ghz on a 2500K, it won't matter.

Now that you mentioned Microcenter...

FX-8320 with the GA-970A-UD3 is $220 total there.

The cheapest combo of 3570k with a Z77 board at Microcenter is $335 because they're dropping all of those motherboards for newer LGA1150 boards.

Actually, I came here to ask for some good memory to go along with this, which I'm still asking, but I also saw this deal. I don't need all those parts so I'll probably sell some off but check it out:

Combo deal Newegg

I believe I have an email for $50 future credit as well for orders over $500.

Comes with the 4670k and an MSI Z87-G43 mobo and 8GB of memory I need, as well as a hard drive.

As a bonus (I don't need them anymore), it does come with a power supply, video card, and dvd burner, as well as a gift card.

What do you guys think? Should I just bite on this one, overclock it, and sell the spare parts?

And don't forget the Skull T-Shirt! haha

EDIT: How about this? I can pick up the processor for 200 at microcenter, then I can pick my own motherboard and memory and not have to worry about selling the video card, PSU, cd drive...

Last edited:
Now that you mentioned Microcenter...

FX-8320 with the GA-970A-UD3 is $220 total there.

The cheapest combo of 3570k with a Z77 board at Microcenter is $335 because they're dropping all of those motherboards for newer LGA1150 boards.

FX-8xxx and an UD3 is not a really good idea when it comes to overclocking. You need a very strong board to push an FX ship high.

3570k or 4670k would be my pick price/perf/oc.

Then again, this is a tough decision 3570k vs 4670k. From what I read, they both are pretty close in benchmarks, and the 3570k can overclock a bit higher evening it out.

On the other hand, I hear the Haswell runs a bit hotter.

IN really simple word, FX-8xxx pump a freakin lot a power when OCed so you need beaffy VRM's setup on the motherboard to maintaint a good OC. Otherwise you will have issue/throttling.

IN really simple word, FX-8xxx pump a freakin lot a power when OCed so you need beaffy VRM's setup on the motherboard to maintaint a good OC. Otherwise you will have issue/throttling.

And it has an 8+2 VRM like the rest of the top boards. There's only two boards (IIRC) that have a better VRM than that, at 12+2.

I've confirmed that the slickdeals combo deal mentioned above can also get you the $50 credit. making it come out to about $490. Pretty sweet deal, but still not sure I want to spend $170 extra for parts I may not be able to sell off

And it has an 8+2 VRM like the rest of the top boards. There's only two boards (IIRC) that have a better VRM than that, at 12+2.

I will not recommand an UD3 board for someone who WANT to overclock with an Fx-8xxx chip.

Do what you want ... I will not.

Then again, this is a tough decision 3570k vs 4670k. From what I read, they both are pretty close in benchmarks, and the 3570k can overclock a bit higher evening it out.

On the other hand, I hear the Haswell runs a bit hotter.

You should never buy anything but the most current chipset and cpu. Never go with the older chipset. It's obsolete. No replacement motherboards will be available if yours fails in a year. No new CPUs will be made for the old chipset. Nothing.

I have a 2600K and a P67 motherboard. If my motherboard fails, I can still grab a Z77 motherboard and reuse my 2600K, but how much longer is that going to be the case? Certainly not as long as with the new Z87 stuff.

Haswell runs hotter, yes, but that's due to technological advances in the way the cpu handles power with onboard VRM which is new.

Get the new cpu and new chipset. Get the 6 onboard SATA 6gbps ports. Be ready for the drop in replacement when they refresh Haswell in a year or so, and extend the amount of time replacement parts will be available for your system. Put yourself in a better position.

You should never buy anything but the most current chipset and cpu. Never go with the older chipset. It's obsolete. No replacement motherboards will be available if yours fails in a year. No new CPUs will be made for the old chipset. Nothing.

I have a 2600K and a P67 motherboard. If my motherboard fails, I can still grab a Z77 motherboard and reuse my 2600K, but how much longer is that going to be the case? Certainly not as long as with the new Z87 stuff.

Haswell runs hotter, yes, but that's due to technological advances in the way the cpu handles power with onboard VRM which is new.

Get the new cpu and new chipset. Get the 6 onboard SATA 6gbps ports. Be ready for the drop in replacement when they refresh Haswell in a year or so, and extend the amount of time replacement parts will be available for your system. Put yourself in a better position.

Thanks Theo,

I'm just thinking of waiting for a similar deal but without all the extra unnecessary things that I've already bought. I don't see myself using 6 SATA ports of any kind, but I would like to get a WD Black version of the drive rather than the blue that comes with the deal. Maybe I'll wait another day and decide. :)

Let me chime in here, look at my siggy, I built this complete setup for about $800. I did it for a couple reasons, first an amd can be clocked enough to complete with intel. The differences when you get within a few points of each other are not noticeable, The idea behind this build was to show customers in our store that system can be built that will be respectable in the extreme performance area with out costing as much, and since this is so much fun then built to have fun with, whether your into overclocking, gaming, video editing etc. I just did some runs with mine tonight and got it stable solid at 4.5 ghz without really pushing a brand new build. If you want cheap high performing that you can beat on and be forgiven then go amd. The 6300 is less then $120 and the 8350 is less then $200. As for mobo's go I got one and got rid of it in order to put in the Sabertooth 990fx R2, which is a very impressive board from anyone
s point of view. price for the sabertooth from Newegg was cheapest and they still back it. Depending on what your going to do with it determines the rest, you say you don't want to oc it right now but you want a oc board and processor, you want to start at the 2-3ghz range and pull 5ghx out of it. Why not start with the AMD which stats at 4, then your looking at a modest oc to get to 5ghz? Cooling has to be the priority and again you decide what your going to do with this build, I just came from playing Modern Warfare 3 where I never saw a temp over 30 and thats while running a defrag on my drives while I played. I built this for me, but I have no issues showing it to the customers that come into the shop so to give them ideas, also as such I have to have a clean decent respectable and horrifying serious build for that point I went with the Raidmax Vampire full size atx case, its a beast! I have added liquid cooling and a lot of fans, heat wasn't an issue with this, but the board is capable of generating some serious heat depending on the processor used.
TO sum it up really, you can get to 5ghz a couple ways, I choose the 6300 processor because of the fact that its cooler to start with, I did not see $80 difference in the performance of it and the 8 core AMD's and since the 6300 starts at 3.5 and "turbos" to 4.2 then in my mind most of the work is done already. The 990 chipset is great, the sabertooth board makes it fool proof, if you set it all wrong it simply will revert back to the original settings and you start all over again. Intel vs AMD will go on forever and each is right, some benchmark better then other, some score higher in gaming then others, my thinking is that what I don't throw at a name I can throw at things like RAM a better psu, or a liquid cooler. all things to take you further then you want to go. I agree for the most part with the thought expressed here that get the newest possible, the computer stuff is outdated so fast with out any help from us. But if I may, I will do you like I do my customers, rather then shove the newest latest greatest which always translates into more money, simply ask yourself what are you going to do with it, then that will go a long way towards telling you what processor you need then take the time to research each part after that and then before you know it you got a whole pile of parts to put together. And personally I have two things that bring me a lot of happiness, first is fixing a customers "dead" computer after "the other guys" say its history, and building my own, each time I accomplish the over clocking to the next step I sit and wait while it boots back up and watch prime 95 with pride as it passes each test. So I can sit here and tell you what you need, but really only you can tell you what you need, we can suggest the best options for hardware to meet that end, and I know I trust most of the people on here once you give them something to really go on then they are right there to help you. Listen to them, even over the reviews on newegg, and other seller sites, remember they are trying to sell you something, here we all have more toys then good sense, so if you buy or not does not impact our life at all, it simply plain simple good advice with no monetary gain in it at all.

Ok, going to pick up a 4670k at microcenter God willing.

Any recommendations on a good board to go with it? I don't need more than 1 PCI-E slot. All I need after I pick up the processor are the board and hard drive, im so excited! (btw if you have any hard drive recommendations I'm looking for a 1-2TB with good gaming/general performance for <$180)

I was looking at the MSI Z87-G43 when it comes to a motherboard, anyone know if this is good for a basic overclock with the 4670k?

Thanks again guys.

Thanks Ajay,

I had looked at a couple combo deals but it seemed the best way to go was to purchase the 4670k there (they honored the 199.99 price even though it was technically 219.99 in store).

Then I ordered an MSI G43 motherboard from newegg with a couple 1TB drives (gonna have my first RAID 0, even though ive set it up for others dozens of times haha!).

Back