• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Best way to apply thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There isn't a way to predict exactly what the temperatures should be, so the best is to do a few applications and compare temperatures. If you are consistently getting the same range, the spread is likely ideal.

There isn't a way to predict exactly what the temperatures should be, so the best is to do a few applications and compare temperatures. If you are consistently getting the same range, the spread is likely ideal.

Thanks! Would I use the new graphical BIOS to monitor temps? Or some 3rd party freeware?

CoreTemp while running LinX (make sure to use the "All" button before you start).

The program I linked is for Windows. The name is just a coincidence. That is the correct CoreTemp.

Another (recent) video comparing the thermal paste application methods, I think this might become the next hot topic in the tech sector :eh?: :shrug: just kidding :)

I posted this up in the vid card forum, but since so many senior people are here, I thought I would post my TIM issue, I can't believe I did this.

The thermal paste I am using is Artic, MX-4, nonconductive.

I was installing my HSF, and by accident, a SMALL amount of the TIM ended up in 3 of the little "slots" of one of my video card's slots. I haven't installed the card YET. The 3 holes weren't filled, more like covered. I took a pair of jeweler's forceps/tweets to lift out as much of the TIM as possible. The tiny holes seem clean, but I can't tell, 100% as they are so small. I'm sure using the forceps may have pushed some of the TIM further down, but I can't be positive. I'm ticked at myself.

What should I do?? Just not used to a mATX form factor, my hands just grazed the top of the vid card slots, and poof the past landed.

Clean it as much as you reasonably can, but since it isn't conductive or capacitive, it isn't going to hurt anything.

Clean it as much as you reasonably can, but since it isn't conductive or capacitive, it isn't going to hurt anything.

I just finished, I used a magnifying glass and it's not as bad as I had thought.

If only I could figure out a way to put these HSF fans some place. :confused:

I should've taken a picture of my laptop's CPU. The TIM was a thick layer on both the CPU and the heatsink. Cleaned it with alcohol and applied a big blob of TIM on the middle of the IHS of the CPU. On the moment, the temps were worst but after a few days the temps are about 1-3c lower than what they we're before with less TIM.

Back