• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to clean superglue residue from delidded CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kabosui

Delidded my 6700k and did the whole process a while back and now I re opened it, curious as to the best way in removing the left over super glue residue
from the previous delid as the residue leaves an uneven surface for the IHS. I've heard conflicting stories of using acetone, and diluted alcohol is not able
to remove the residue.

Acetone (nail polish remover) will work best. Get the one that doesn't leave an oily film and is not scented. Soak it on with a Q-tip.

For future reference use rubber silicone to seal the IHS back on the chip instead of super glue ;)

Acetone (nail polish remover) will work best. Get the one that doesn't leave an oily film and is not scented. Soak it on with a Q-tip.

For future reference use rubber silicone to seal the IHS back on the chip instead of super glue ;)

I Permatex Black Ultra ATV instead of super glue. Be careful with acetone. I would research that to make sure it won't damage PCB.

what trets said dont superglue it use rvt thats what I used and you need so little that the tube will last forever barring drying out

Back