• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best x79 motherboard for linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monkeytron

Hi,

I'm looking at building a X79 based workstation for heavy duty parallel processing (running open source computational fluid dynamics software like OpenFOAM). Linux is a must for this. I'd like to overclock a 3930K to around 4GHz, but the most important thing is stability as it'll be running full chat on all cores 24/7 for a few days at a time. I've read a few things about ASUS boards not having good linux support - was hoping you guys could give me some advice on OC'ing in linux and which is a good X79 for it?

Thanks.

Overclocking and stability don't get on well with each other.

I'd recommend you a Supermicro C6xx board, a Xeon processor and ECC ram if you need maximum stability for a production environment.

My budget is around £1250. I was expecting to be able to overclock a little and keep good stability? If not, then 6 cores @ 3.2GHz will be good enough. My main concern is linux supported X79 boards?

My budget is around £1250. I was expecting to be able to overclock a little and keep good stability? If not, then 6 cores @ 3.2GHz will be good enough. My main concern is linux supported X79 boards?

As long as you don't go something exotic (you don't want to) you won't have a problem. I'd still recommend a Xeon processor, a C602 chipset board and ECC RAM for scientific calculations, though.

Back