• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG 7800GS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Jedi Mind Trick said:
:eek: WOW. that is INSANE.... they are getting 200mhz or more just by going from 1.1 to 1.3 in the bios???

i am hesitant to mess with voltmods on a card i can barely afford as it is, so doing that much just through the bios is awesome!
(THANK GOD I added all those fans to my case :D )

Oh no, don't mess with the volt mods, nothing will kill your warranty faster, my overclocks on my card are all at stock voltage.

yeah deadman, at this point the only overclocking im doing is through the bios.

Hey, was that you that said in the linkposted Forum that you got almost another 200Mhz just by going to the bios and changing the v from 1.1 to 1.3? How is that working for you, is it very stable? If so, could i take it any higher from there? (I have EXCELLENT cooling on my case)

Jedi Mind Trick said:
yeah deadman, at this point the only overclocking im doing is through the bios.

Hey, was that you that said in the linkposted Forum that you got almost another 200Mhz just by going to the bios and changing the v from 1.1 to 1.3? How is that working for you, is it very stable? If so, could i take it any higher from there? (I have EXCELLENT cooling on my case)

No, that was Chinstap, he was showing how some guys got theirs to 700mhz on the core. The problem is, they had to do a hardware mod in order for it to work. Just setting it to 1.3v in the bios will not do anything, I've tried.

I changed mine from 1.1 to 1.3, and that let me overclock to 530/1480.

you posted that in the Voltmod forums...

I'm confused- where did you make this change if not in the bios?

Jedi Mind Trick said:
I changed mine from 1.1 to 1.3, and that let me overclock to 530/1480.

you posted that in the Voltmod forums...

I'm confused- where did you make this change if not in the bios?

It turned out that it was not the bios mod that allowed my higher overclock, I changed my drivers to XG 92.91, and I am still using those drivers. I think 525/1460 is my max that is totally stable. The bios volt mod only works if you do a hardware mod also.

Oh, and that sucks about the price of the card on Newegg.

ok gotcha

so I don't know what I'm going to do now.... there's no way I'm paying $250 when it was $175 5 days ago...
I was thinking about buying a 7600GT but i dont think its even worth it.
I guess I'll just wait for the 7800GS to drop again, but this sucks- considering they just raised it $50 that could be months...

Jedi Mind Trick said:
ok gotcha

so I don't know what I'm going to do now.... there's no way I'm paying $250 when it was $175 5 days ago...
I was thinking about buying a 7600GT but i dont think its even worth it.
I guess I'll just wait for the 7800GS to drop again, but this sucks- considering they just raised it $50 that could be months...

It will go on rebate again soon I'm sure, but don't feel too bad I spent $300 for mine 5 months ago.

The G71 cores overclock better mainly only when v-modded, from gpu vcore of standard 3d 1.1v to 1.4 or 1.5volts.
otherwise You will likely get the black screen lockup thing before your anywhere near the actual limit of your gpu,
then again as is the case with G70 chips a wire link mod was req to fix that problem, may not be the same for G71 cores though.

Jedi Mind Trick said:
wow thanks!, there is a fry's right by me, im gonna go buy that tomorrow...

considering newegg put theirs to $250, i dont see finding a price cheaper than $200 in the near future.

ah you're lucky! im ways away from a Fry's store. + you wont have to pay for shipping fee if you find one there hehe.

i have a 7800gs made by xfx and i love it. it overclocks very well and runs every game i play perfect. cs:s bf2 bf2142 and run great with this card.

imperiousleader said:
The G71 cores overclock better mainly only when v-modded, from gpu vcore of standard 3d 1.1v to 1.4 or 1.5volts.
otherwise You will likely get the black screen lockup thing before your anywhere near the actual limit of your gpu,
then again as is the case with G70 chips a wire link mod was req to fix that problem, may not be the same for G71 cores though.

Well, yes and no, I mean you see my overclock, that's at stock voltage. The biggest advantage to the 7800GS with the G71 core is temps, my idle temp is 40c, and load is 50c, that's with the huge overclock.

air_power said:
ah you're lucky! im ways away from a Fry's store. + you wont have to pay for shipping fee if you find one there hehe.

yep no shipping, but i still have to pay for tax, which ends up being like $15 instead of the $6 dollar shipping!
And from the looks of it, FRY's doesn't have a buy-online-and-pick-it-up option, so there's no way to avoid both tax and shipping like I have done at COMPUSA.

air_power said:
Hey Deadman, are you using any 3rd party cooler on your card?

Nope, stock cooling, that's what makes these 7800GS's so dang COOL!!!...pardon the pun..lol..:beer:

Jedi Mind Trick said:
btw this card just dropped another $20 at Fry's. Its all the way down to $180. YAYYYY

You should go for it, before it goes up again, I don't think they will get any cheaper than that.

Back