• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG 7800GS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Jedi Mind Trick said:
hey,
I'm clinging to agp, because i dont have the money, or the time to upgrade to pci-e. I have a decent system now- p4p800, p4 3.2 (OCed at 3.6), 2gbs of XMS, and a 6600GT. I mainly play counterstrike, which runs well, but im getting very crappy settings for Battlefield 2. I'm looking to upgrade to the 7800GS, and my system should be pretty high quality for another year or so until i can afford to upgrade.

I'm a little bummed because the 7800GS was $175 after a rebate all week, but the $60 rebate disappeared yesterday. Does anyone know where I could get the card cheaper than newegg's $235 (im NOT buying the albatron), or does anyone know if this price will drop or the rebate will return?

thanks a lot to any input or other suggestions

I got an albatron and i must say its great. There are no problems, it didn't come with extra crud and it overclocks just fine. 475/1400 is my mild clock but ive had it a 505/1500 before.

Deadman93723 said:
Well, you guys will be happy, I've had mine for 5 months now, and it still impresses me how it can handle games like FEAR, and man do they overclock.
Good to know - - thanks :cool:

Sent out my $50 rebate today. Maybe it'll be here by Summer.

The 7800GS OC that I received does not have the big green BFG sticker across the cooler. Which is
fine by me since you can see the big copper heatsink better that way.

Hipcrostino said:
I got an albatron and i must say its great. There are no problems, it didn't come with extra crud and it overclocks just fine. 475/1400 is my mild clock but ive had it a 505/1500 before.

even still, the BFG is cheaper, has better specs, performs and overclocks better, and comes with a better warranty
BFG is the #1 GPU company out there in my opinion

Susquehannock said:

The 7800GS OC that I received does not have the big green BFG sticker across the cooler. Which is

cool, nice buy! Let me know how she handles (all graphix cards are "shes" :))

Susquehannock said:

Yeah, you got the newer one, the G71 model, the good one.

Very cool :bday:
Was wondering how to tell if it had the G71.

Won't have time to install the card until the weekend. My concern is my PSU is up to it.
The 12v rail on this PCP&C 425w is only rated at 15A. The recommendation for the 7800gs is
a 20A rail if my memory serves.

So, what is the best PSU with a heavy single 12V rail these days?

Last edited:
You can tell what core it has with RivaTuner. Mine has the G71 core and overclocks amazingly at stock voltage (1.1v) and with stock cooling. Adjusted the fan down to 40% for quiet 2D operation and 75% in 3D operation. Runs about 42C in 2D and 46C in 3D. 3DMark03 - 15002, 3DMark05 7004.

Back