• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Big Air or CL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bamato

I've been researching and reading for weeks now on what sort of cooler I'd like to upgrade to. Currently I'm running a 92mm Zalman tower that was purchased because my previous case design prevented me from having anything taller.
I've purchased a new case that allows me to run whatever size CPU cooler I want now, which is good because I'm wanting to get into overclocking the 8120. However, no matter how much I read, research or search for comparisons, I can't pull the trigger on the best decision. I'm not into custom water cooling loops yet so my choices are either big air coolers or closed loop coolers.

At the top of my air cooler list is the NH-D14. It's tried and true, quiet, and inexpensive. What I can't get past is that it's so massive and not very pleasing to look at (IMO). After measuring, I noticed it would be a very close fit, and would most likely also have to replace my vengeance ram as well.

The top of my CL cooler choices is the Thermaltake Water 2.0 pro. It would allow me to find my case interior still aesthetically pleasing, save space, and not require me to purchase new ram. However, there are SO many mixed reviews on these closed loop coolers. Some say they work perfect. Some say they are quiet. Some say they are loud and unreliable.

My priorities are sound and looks. Sounds to me like both perform equally well (depending on who you ask) so I'm turning to here for a push in some direction.

Thanks!

I would steer clear of Thermaltake. If you're dead-set on an AIO cooling, then go with a Corsair H80 over the TT.

As for the air cooler, The Phanteks is nice (if you want to go that big), but alot more pleasing to look at over the NDH-14.

I've checked out the Phanteks, but figured since the Noctua would be a close fit with a 120mm fan, then the phantek with a 140mm fan wouldn't have a chance in hell of fitting.

Why steer clear of Thermaltake? If anything, most people have issues with the cooler master stuff from what I've read (could be that CM has a higher saturation in the market though).

Thermaltake has never had a good reputation with any of their premade water loops. Price/cooling efficiency, high end air has always been better.

Well that's good to know then. I wasn't aware they had a bad reputation.

Back to the NH-D14, I guess I'm one of those weird people that likes to look into their case window and see their mobo, heatsinks, etc, so having a hulking heatsink blocking my view is a little bit of a bummer.

I'm assuming all the big coolers (NH-14D, SBE, Phanteks) perform relatively the same, and for the most part mount the same. Aside from looks, do any of them have any features that put them above the others (smaller footprint perhaps)? I'd like PWM functionality, which is another downfall of the Noctua, but I've heard it makes little to no difference in sound anyway.

There is a PWM Fan set up with the Phanteks and because of the clips you can adjust up or down a bit for the size of your Ram. But take your time have a look and read of this post before you decide! The choice is yours, but measure twice and order just the once as they say! AJ. :shrug: ;)

1, http://www.techspot.com/products/cooling/

Thanks for the link Ajay! I've been on that one a few times. I liked the H80I, but I've read that some people have trouble cooling a bulldozer with that one. Most recommend a 240mm rad minimum (and I can't fit a 240mm).

The H80i performs about the same as all the air coolers you mentioned. If one has trouble cooling a Bulldozer, so does the other. Mostly just because Bulldozer runs so ridiculously hot.

How do you guys feel about the NH-U14s? Seems to be smaller (which I like) and performs well according to the reviews above. Good enough for an good overclock on an 8120?

Edit: Or the NZXT Kraken X40?

The Water 2.0 coolers are Asetek, I've tested most of them and they work well. Standard Asetek, though TT uses bigger radiators than most.
TT just slaps a label on them, they don't actually build the things. Don't confuse them with the BigWater junkpiles.

The H80 is the square pump CoolIt piece, I would avoid it.

Scratch the Kraken X40. I don't have a 140mm fan spot.

Back to the TT Water 2.0 then. I did notice that most of the AIO's are all built by 2-3 companies, and Asetek is one of the better ones.

Bob, would you think that one of these would be sufficient at cooling a bulldozer?

Depends on which one, the base model probably not. Not OCing anyway.
IMO to get worthwhile you need to be fairly high up the range, the Water 2.0 Extreme has a nice chunky radiator. Pretty expensive though.

Personally I would grab a Phanteks thing, or a used TRUE.

It would be a Pro version. The Extreme is a 240mm, can't fit that one.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a TRUE?

Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme.
It's old, but at a MSRP of $60 or so it beats many (most?) coolers up to the $90-$100 mark.

Thanks for the explanation. The Noctua NH-U14S looks of similar design. Thoughts?

Not as good. Noctua is optimized for quiet, the TRUE scales better with faster fans. There's also the update to the true, which is the Venomous X. There's a few Prolimatech heatsink with a similar design too.

I'm running high-end air since i left the "real WC world" and i'm very pleased with all the cooler i tryed. Mostly Noctua and Phantek.

IMO, go high end Air, Swiftech H220 or go the "real WC" route. Forget all other AIO ....

Back