• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Bing Vs Google Test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Using the link in the first post, what were your results?

• Google

Votes: 74 93.7%
  • Bing

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I'm terrible and use Yahoo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Bleh, tried twice and got draws both times. Probably because when I search something, I look for reputable sites in the first ten or so results and go from there. Both seem to do a decent job of at least getting that right.

how do you get a draw with 5 chances?:confused:

how do you get a draw with 5 chances?:confused:

There's an option for "Draw" right between the two other choices. The fan is going on my old 5850 in my lanbox, so I was searching for reviews between it and other cards. Both sites came up with the results I wanted (benchmarks from here, reviews from tomshardware, etc.) as the top search results. To me, that's a tie. The remaining choices were split 2/2.

Google won hands down for me. Bing always returns a bunch of irrelevant junk before giving me close to what Google returns.

Uhhh...

I just gotta say...

I figured there'd be more people around here who were anti-google...

I can understand "the masses" not knowing the difference, but around here.... I tend to think we are a pretty informed bunch and that the majority of us would recognize the threat that google poses....

Eh well... Maybe I need to loosen my tinfoil hat.
You do know who runs Bing right? Google has issues but if you think by using Bing you are choosing the lesser of two evils you are doing it wrong.

22-Google...0-Bing
Im thinking the people picking Bing 2-1 are ether employed by M$
or were hand picked or there just throwing a number out there.
i would guess the latter of the three is most likely.

I had my father take the survey and even with his very limited knowledge of the internet he choose Google everytime. It took him thirty minutes to complete the survey and his searches involved mostly gun smiths but still found Google provided better results. lol. Poor MS trying to compare bing with Google.

i know how bing won in their test... not saying though lol have a few beers then search that thing ;D

Thx for the poll thiddy. I haven't used multiple search engines since dial-up. Metacrawler anyone?

funny that live search was so successful that they felt the need to make bing lol

Untitled-10.jpg
sorry bing i tried

westomatic-google- because it yielded my username and less of the vending machine co
chop_wood-google- because it yielded my heatware and overclockers profiles... bing showed myspace which i havnt used in 5 years and how to physically chop wood
bitcoin- google- it showed mt gox on the front which is what i need for bitcoins
asrock ext6 drivers - google. it brought me to the download page on asrock. bing brought me to the overview page for the board not the drivers
epic meal time fps russia - google. it felt more natural to click on it - maybe its just cause im more used to the font or something?

asked my wife tonight to run try out this test...she started by saying she hated BING lol
she did the test and im ashamed to say she got bing-4 google-1 but in her defense she really dont use computers much other then at work which blocks most of her net unless she uses a proxy lol.

I just gotta say...

I figured there'd be more people around here who were anti-google...

I can understand "the masses" not knowing the difference, but around here.... I tend to think we are a pretty informed bunch and that the majority of us would recognize the threat that google poses....

Eh well... Maybe I need to loosen my tinfoil hat.

My tinfoil hat is a size 7 3/4. What's yours? lol I have my reasons for avoiding Google as well (which I went into once in the appropriate forum) and I have to say it's damn frustrating trying to find anything using other search providers. I'll make a valiant effort (I'll go through ten pages of utter crap) before giving up if I don't find what I'm looking for and then I'll go back to Google and find it, invariably, in the first two pages. I know about Boolean logic and how to properly enter search criteria, but it seems only Google knows how to search based on drunken typing, Boolean, teenage-speak, and average joe all at the same time. lol

I've just gotta share this little tidbit. I searched for "Google" on Bing and of course the link to Google was right there. When I searched for "Bing" on Google, I got the link to Bing as expected, but I also got an advertisement for Bing!! LMFAO! Seems MS has taken to advertising for their product on their competitor's website. Well, guess I don't blame them. hehe

Hmmm....I just did a side-by-side-by-side comparison. Same exact search in Google, Bing, and on the Bing comparison site. Every time I did the search the very last entry in the comparison site is different than what shows up on Google and Bing. AND, the comparison site shows a sampling of images on the Bing side, whereas Bing itself does not. ???

You do know who runs Bing right? Google has issues but if you think by using Bing you are choosing the lesser of two evils you are doing it wrong.

They're both bad but I don't think Microsoft is trying to database the universe at quite the same level as Google. I feel like Google is actually the incarnation of Brainiac in Superman: The Animated Series. If Earth is ever destroyed I'm sure it will be the work of Brainiac Google.

Hmmm....I just did a side-by-side-by-side comparison. Same exact search in Google, Bing, and on the Bing comparison site. Every time I did the search the very last entry in the comparison site is different than what shows up on Google and Bing. AND, the comparison site shows a sampling of images on the Bing side, whereas Bing itself does not. ???

yea i retook the test myself a few nights ago when i got my wife to do it and it almost looks like bing changed it so there results would look more like googles normally would,

im thinking after a week of them running the test and google winning probably something like 1000/5 they figured they better try to at least try to trick some people into picking bing lol.

Back