• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED BIOS failure?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lIrenicuSl

Hey guys, today [like 10 min agoo] happend soemthing werid to my PC :(

After restarting my PC several times while loading windows
[around 4 times, i have to do this, because i heard some werid sound from the case -> one of the Coolers were very noisy, prolably block of the cooler is dead, this case is 3 years old so i dont know if it is possible]
my BIOS went back to defalut settings :( I lost my all OC data, including setup for colling performance and the worst: RAID0 settings.

Which means 1TB of my data is lost :( Good hting is, that this RAID0 was for gaming, i will have to download 1TB of games, but still my question is:

Is there any option in BIOS to reset setting to defalut after PC restart serveral times? I would like to turn it off to prevent future problems.

Of coruse i did not have any OC profiles saved so i am in black hole right now.

Atm I am in work, but I will have to setup my RAID again, which costs time becuase I will ave to unplug 2 of my drives, setup the RAID and plug the other Hard drives again.
I will have to do this, because my BIOS after turning on RAID is giving RAId for ALL drivers connected to MOBO, so i will lose even more data [from 2 other SSD] if i will not unplug them.

Could you advise me?

Good thing it was only downloadable games. If I lost a drive I'd lose years of stuff that would cost me years more to re-accumulate. You should probably invest in a usb3 external that does nothing but store backups. Or at least put a spinner in that you only use for backups, and therefore can unplug as needed. Nice setup btw.

SO I have good news and bad news!

DATA in RAID was not lost, just because MOBO turened ON Defalut system settings, it went to AHCI mode, instead of RAID mode,

After chaning it to RAID mode, my Windows 7 was able to read back those Disk again, with out any loss :)

The only bad thing is that i lost my all OC settings , which includes RAM OC setting, Cooler settings for entire case, and CPU setting

DATA in RAID was not lost, just because MOBO turened ON Defalut system settings, it went to AHCI mode, instead of RAID mode,

After chaning it to RAID mode, my Windows 7 was able to read back those Disk again, with out any loss
This was expected.... not losing the array.

As soon as you get things setup again, seems like its time to use those profiles and maybe export a copy to a USB stick for when you flash the BIOS again (and lose all the settings).

Glad it was sorted... I felt like it was something easy breezy like this.

Still there is question about reseting settings to Defalut, is there a possiblity to check if a few resets of BIOS restore things to dEfalut? Because i cant find a reaosn why my BOS got "auto" defalut settings.

If an overclock or something went wonky, the board resets to optimized defaults. But it shouldn't just do it for giggles. You may have accidentally hit the 'optimized default' function key... who knows.

Typically just rebooting, the act itself, wouldn't cause it to go to default.

Last edited:
Hindsight is (or should be) 20/20 and you should consider this a warning about your data. That's the problem with RAID0 (striped) arrays, as opposed to RAID1 (mirrored) arrays. If you lose a drive out of the striped array, you risk losing all your data.

So you should view this as a warning to backup your data now, then establish and regularly use a robust backup plan.

Typically just rebooting, the act itself, wouldn't cause it to go to default.
Right. That's exactly why the CMOS battery is in there.

You said the case is 3 years old. How old is the motherboard? While CMOS batteries typically last considerably longer than 3 years, I have seen the occasional CR2032 last less then 1 year, and even have had a couple be dead right out of the brand new packaging. Losing all your BIOS settings is also a sign of CMOS battery failure. So if me, I would replace the CMOS battery. Just make sure you unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching in. Observe the polarity when removing the old battery. Do not touch the new battery with your bare fingers as skin oils promote corrosion and attract dust. I put a clean, cotton sock over my hand. Observing polarity, insert the new battery. Then while in there, inspect all your cable connections to make sure they are tight and secure. If necessary, reroute your cables for better cable management and case coolign. Clean the case interior of heat trapping dust.

When all okay, connect power and boot directly into the BIOS Setup Menu. Check/reset your date and time and disk boot order, then Save and Exit to boot normally. I recommend you make sure the computer is working fine with the defaults timings before redoing your OC settings.

How old is the motherboard? You might need to change the CMOS battery.

Hi,

I bought my mobo in midle of June 2017, but :
The MOBO was damaged, after 1st day of usage i had to return it back to Mindfactory.de company, and after week they send me a new one,
So we can say that in END of June/1st week of July 2017 i booted 1st time my mobo.

Hmm i had no idea about CMOS battery live being so short, in my OLD PC, it was able to stand for like 5 years, when i repaired the olders PCs they were awleys around 4/5 old. I did not know that the new MOBOs can drain energy from battery so fast.,..

Hmm i had no idea about CMOS battery live being so short, in my OLD PC, it was able to stand for like 5 years

I did not know that the new MOBOs can drain energy from battery so fast.,..
As I mentioned above, they typically do last considerably longer than 3 years. It is not normal for any motherboard (new or old) to run down a "good" CMOS battery so quickly. If the battery did fail that quickly, it indicates the battery was faulty from the factory, or the motherboard's CMOS circuits have a fault in them, drawing too much current.

Until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be products they produce failing prematurely. If you insert a new battery and that clears your problem, then great. If the problem remains, little is lost since these batteries are inexpensive compared to other components. If you insert a new battery, and it fails prematurely too, then you likely have a motherboard issue where a component likely has a partial short and is drawing too much current.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Replacing the CMOS battery costs little but can tell us a lot. So starting there at this point make sense.

The key is that
After restarting my PC several times while loading windows
to check for a fan sound. It would be typical for a MB to interpret this as a failed OC and revert to default.

Machine booting, failed to boot. Machine booting, failed to boot. Machine booting, failed to boot. Machine booting, failed to boot.

The MB does not know that he cut power it only knows that it failed to boot. What we don't know is if the threshold was 2, 3 or 4 times that it thought to resort to default.

Edit: This is not really a new feature for MBs. It keeps the board from being bricked while looking for a stable OC. Customers are generally happier when they don't have to replace or RMA the board afte a failed OC. Again, the Board doesn't know why it failed to boot, it's just looking to see if it did boot and after the threshold is met... default.

Remember guys: KIS(S). Keep It Simple (other word).

Last edited:
I can agree with you, about the system rebboting - you have right about restarting it hwile PC was trying to boot, in win7 loading screen, it may be the reason.

Anyways i will take a look closer to the battery and check if the problem appears again, i should not wait so long if battery have some issues but i think it is more possible that my reseting while win7 was loading, caused this problem....

Thank you for explaning to me.

PS: I did already backup all my BIOS settings, only CPU OC is missing, my RAM is Oc'ed now even to 3200 MHZ, [just to make it safe, i think they could go higher].....

Normally, a board dated 2017 would not need the CMOS battery replaced. Typically, I see that in boards that are 8-10 years old.

Does your motherboard have the ability to save overclock profiles?

Normally, a board dated 2017 would not need the CMOS battery replaced.
:confused: As mentioned several times. The point is, manufacturing processes are never perfect 100% of the time. Anything can fail prematurely. And I have even had brand new batteries that were "dead" right out of the new packaging, even when date-stamped years into the future. Since replacement CMOS batteries are just a couple bucks, little is loss to eliminate the battery from the equation.

Its possible this is a CMOS battery issue, but then again it could be due to the fact that he restarted the system while it was booting into windows. Sounds like he is on the right track now.

If the BIOS settings hold after a complete shutdown and disconnect from your power source, in theory this would indicate the battery is still doing its job properly.

I think sometimes the EFI partition gets involved in these "bios" corruption experiences. Technically speaking, "bios" is an outdated term when applied to more recent technology boards that use EUFI but we all still use it and know what we mean.

I'm really going to push that this is a feature not a defect. I'll bet it's even mentioned in the manual somewhere.

Edit: It's not in the manual but I still say "feature".

Last edited:
Normally, a board dated 2017 would not need the CMOS battery replaced. Typically, I see that in boards that are 8-10 years old.

Does your motherboard have the ability to save overclock profiles?

Yes i does, But i did not save the settings before because I did not expect such a thing :D
The new settings which i have now, for sielnt PC mode+ fan control + RAM overclocked i saved already.

The thing what left for me is to CPU Overlocking, but to be honest, there wont be so much diffrence for me right now, so i don't care so much about it.

Thank you all for the support, I know what to do, I think we can close this topic, if i will lose data again I will let You know :)

Back