• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bios for asrock 970 extreme3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigwils1

Registered
has anyone tryed the beta L1.21 bios for this board and is it good for overclocking and will this bios stop the cpu from throttling even though io have it disabled in bios i have a fx 8120

What do the release notes say? I think your board has two bios' so try it out...

Normally bios' dont neuter overclocking, particularly 24/7 overclocks where you will be going.

Also, I dont think its a bios issue that would be preventing the CPU from throttling, you need to check other settings as something was likely just missed.

iv disable APM c1e cool n quit turbo core everything that could be
throttling it mate and it still does it

Bios is 1.60 and yes cpu throttle is disabled mate,and do you no realy good cooling fans for my corsair h40 i dont think the ones you get with the h40 are up to much

I haven't read of any solutions for the throttling issue, other than possibly mounting a fan blowing cool air directly onto the mosfets / VRMs.

If the beta bios turns out to be buggy you can always reflash with the older version ASRock has them all available for download on their web site. Best web site of any of the board manufacturers.

Asrock as finaly replied to my emails they say uts a mosfet overheat issue and theres nothing they can do but advise to blow more air onto mosfets,i wonder if its me using a cheap h40 there is no air blowing around that arear its just a water block do you think il be better off buying a good air cpu cooler so i will have good cooling round that arear??
Update just purchased enermax ets-t40 im sure this will bring better cooling than the h40 and now having fan blowing across the mosfets

Last edited:
an H40 would not provide any airfloworver your vrm's and mossfets. You will need to figure out a way to mount a fan blowing air across them. simple test would be to take the side pannel off your computer and use a desk fan to blow air onto your motherboard socket area.

An air cooler for the CPU may not provide better air flow across the mosfets, to speak of anyway. As bassnut said, rig up a spot fan to blow air in that are. Aren't the mosfets sinked on that board?

All sorted now guys iv got a fan blowing across vrms and mosfets and its working great

Back