• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Bios not detecting drives until pressing key

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sc2fan

Registered
Hello everyone!

I just set up a new system.

Hardware: gigabyte 890ga-ud3h, amd 955, g.skill ripjaws 8gb ddr3 1600mhz, wd eco green 2tb, hd 6870, bequiet pure power l7 530w

My problem is that the bios wont start detecting drives until you press a key like "del" (to get to the bios settings) or "f12" (to select boot device) and so on ...
Once I do press a key (pressing "f12" most of the time to get to windows) the bios starts detecting drives, having no problems at all.
If I do not press a key it simply freezes after stating that the ram is fine and unganged.

Things I have tried so far:
- changing boot priority, taking out floppy from boot order (3 to chose, I chose hdd, cdrom, usb hdd)
- different sata ports (tryed the sata III and sata II ports, no difference)
- set bios to default (didnt do any overclocking at all yet anyways)
- flashed bios to newest, not beta, version
- changing from ide to ahci

Hope you guys have some good ideas or even the solution right away :p :)

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit:
it starts detecting drives no matter what key you press (doesnt need to have a function like "del" etc.)
also; windows 7 home premium family pack is installed (no problems once you get to it)

Last edited:
I haven't seen that before, so I'm going to take a guess.

If you unplug all drives (hard drives, optical drives), does it stop as well?
If it works normally, try each drive by itself and use different ports.

Also, when it stops, is there a message at the bottom of the screen?

Thank you very much for the fast response! :) Love this forum! xD
The problem somehow solved itself ...when Windows had the pc reboot for updates everything worked just fine. Tested normal boot and reboot afterwards - no problems.
Im still cursious to what could have caused this.
Guess I can just mark this thread as solved :)

thank you very much, again :)

Back