• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS Update Failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newbiew

Registered
Hello,
I faced a serious problem this time. It all started when i decided to check if the latest BIOS version is compatible with the mobo. I have p8p67 Deluxe with the BIOS version 1401 but It refers to the original p8p67 motherboard. No idea why do i even have this BIOS installed(This was a default BIOS when my PC shipped.). Anyway, when i selected the latest BIOS version downloaded to my USB flashdrive in OCZ Flash utility, it was applied and the update has started. I was sure that before proceeding an update it must have checked if a new version fits to your mobo. So the update has begun but the computer was not prepared for it. I shut it down; the next thing i had to do according to what was on the screen(BIOS recovery was detected, Please insert the ASUS support CD) . I followed the instruction. A few seconds later, I was able to open the BIOS. It displayed several commands: The firmware was updated. a few other related to this and how many % left to complete the update. Afterward, computer rebooted and the black screen showed up. I waited for several mins with the hope that everything will be fixed but nothing happened. So now every time i turn it on i just see a black screen.

*UPDATE

I was able to get into BIOS and Windows when i re sitted the CMOS battery. 1 problem: I could boot into Win and BIOS only 1 time, after that mobo started it`s unstable behavior. Next thing i did was flashing the BIOS to the latest version(Pp8p67Deluxe; 2103; Used EZ Flash 2 utility). It fixed the problem, i can reset as many times as i want. Motherboard behavior is stable when i boot into the BIOS but not with Windows. When at Windows, my MOBO`s led code shows "AA" sign. No idea what it means, but it never showed it before(When my pc was stable). Also BIOS settings are messed up, the CPU(2600K) bus settings are set to 103.5 instead of a 100. 2nd, the cpu is overcklocked, the multiplayer is set to 43. So, there is a quiet big problem here. I did load defaults bios settings and those are them.
Lastly, at start up the massage appears saying about the missing cpu FAN. The led light is blinking on the mobo, but there were not any fans plugged at this place. This message arised when i first re sitted the CMOS battery and boot into the BIOS. No overheating or other unstable processes were found. Everything works just fine. One more thing: Before booting into the BIOS, several messages show up about that i do not have physical disk and my BIOS version is 1...something. It differed from the installed one. While when i am in the BIOS, it show that i currently have 2103.
At this point i really need some assistance guys.
If you know something, please post in this thread.
Anyone Please

Last edited:
:welcome:
It sounds like the BIOS is overclocking the CPU and causing instability. You should manually reset the settings in the BIOS to stock speeds, especially the bus setting, which should be at 100.

There should also be an option to disable the CPU fan warning if you want to plug your CPU heatsink in a different way.

I was able to fix the problem by flashing to a newer BIOS version. After that, i re sitted my graphics card(make sure everything was plugged in properly) and could not boot into windows afterwards. I went ahead and pressed" reset" button on my mobo. It fixed the problem. I am not sure what might cause it but if i go to the BIOS and exit from it without saving changes, i cannot boot into windows. This happened to me 2 times. Also,after i turn on my computer i see this AMERICAN MEGATRENDS logo shows up. It continues to be displayed on the screen for about 5 sec and only than windows logo appears. Before that, this logo would last only for much less time. I am not sure whether it is normal behavior or not that is why i am concerned.

System specs:

[email protected]
Intel 320 series SSD 120Gb
WD Cavir Black-Storage

Thanks,

SOL

It appears that my BIOS post report setting is set to 5 sec. There are other options like from 1-10 sec of wait time as well as press "esc" in order to boot. I tried to change the time to 1 sec and the wait time got a lot shorter. I did not see many people change this setting, not sure why though. Will it do any harm if i will change the time or it is better to leave it as it is?

Thanks

Shouldn't do any harm - it just waits that long to see if you want to go into the BIOS.

Thanks for info, John. Looks like everything is stable. I also tried to plug my internet cable to the intel Gb lan controller but the connection was not established. I do not exactly know why. Google search did not help much. The drivers of a controller are not up to date thought, but it seems very unusual that it might interrupt the connection . Waht could i do at this point?

Thank you,

Newb

Not sure. Could be a number of things. Router setup, network setup for that particular device, something wrong with the cable...?

Download the LAN driver on youre laptop and put it on a flash drive, then install the driver on you're pc using the flash drive. I have to do it all the time when i do a fresh os install and the drivers are not there (mainly xp)

Cable is working normally, when i plug it to another internet port. The reason i decided to switch, i might get better download/upload speed with a new controller.

Keny, i have pc, not a laptop. Why should i put it on a usb drive?
Can you give a more detail instruction on how to do it, cause i what is the difference between installing drivers from a flash drive or from hdd/ssd.

Thanks,

Newb

I thought you only had the one port! But if you have a connection using the other port then use that connection to download the driver and forget about the flash drive,its a self installing driver that you download and just run the installer in the folder that you download, it works a treat , atleast on mine it does anyway. As for you're Internet speeds, I would put money on it that it won't increase you're speed, as most internet providers don't even come close to the limit of you're average Ethernet controllers speed

Back