• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SorryImSoAce

Registered
Hi guys, I have the Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 Rev 3.0. I have just done a completely clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro onto an SSD.

I have a question, with updating the BIOS is it a case of 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' or is it recommended to download every BIOS update?

I am looking at this website. http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4434&dl=1#dl

There are a lot of Drivers, BIOS and Utility. Please could you tell me, should I do them all and in any particular order?

Thanks for any help given :)

If the BIOS file you are using is listed as 8.1 compatible I wouldn't change it. Although small there's always a risk when flashing a BIOS. Like you said if it isn't broke don't fix it. The same can be said for chipset drivers. The BIOS file and Chipset drivers rely on each other . If you have an old bios and new drivers this can cause some low level issues between the board and OS. Because I bench frequently I will flash multiple different bios files just to see if some have a performance advantage over others and have run into the issue I just described with SATA drivers. They were too new and my bios didn't know how to work with them.
If you find you're having USB issues or something like that with peripherals then you may want to flash the bios otherwise I'd leave it as is.

NP Ace, that's what I'm here for but I do like beer.

Hi guys, I have the Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 Rev 3.0. I have just done a completely clean install of Windows 8.1 Pro onto an SSD.

I have a question, with updating the BIOS is it a case of 'if it isn't broke don't fix it' or is it recommended to download every BIOS update?

I am looking at this website. http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4434&dl=1#dl

There are a lot of Drivers, BIOS and Utility. Please could you tell me, should I do them all and in any particular order?

Thanks for any help given :)

I'm with Johan on this, if everything is running great, don't mess with it :) With that said, you can download them all for when something new comes along, but for now, don't mess with it :thup:

Last edited:
Back