• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar A85W- Won't Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cobra64th

PC Build
Power supply-Antec 350 watt
Motherboard- Biostar A85W
CPU/APU - AMD TA8-5600k 3.6
Memory - Gskill F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL
HDD - WD 1 TB 7200rpm

I am having a hard time getting my computer to boot. If it does boot and get into windows it will crash shortly after (immediately-10minutes). I will get an error code 79 (APCI) the majority of the time but sometimes I will get code 54 (memory) followed by continuous beeping. The only way it seems to be able to boot to the BIOS is by removing the CMOS battery. Even if I do get into BIOS it will crash (79).

Troubleshooting so far
Tried various memory timings including
A) XMP 9 9 9 24 2T 1.5V 1600
B)Manual 9 9 9 24 2T 1.5V 1600
C) Manual^^^^^^^ 1.55V->1.6V 1600
D) Manual 8 8 8 24 2T 1.5V 1333 (Suppose to be most stable)
E) Tried (A-D) and increased APU-NB voltage by .1V

1) I have also RMA the 1st Gskill stick after completing letters (A,B,D). With the replacement I am facing the exact same issues.

Other possible solutions or concerns not addressed
1) Motherboard does not list "Gskill F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL" specifically, as being supported. (Does this really matter?)

2) Have not updated or flashed BIOS as I believe I have the most recent bios update as it is a new motherboard.

3) RMA the motherboard

4) Alter the ram timings other then the generic 9 9 9 24 2T. I do have the option to alter an extended list of timings but I have no idea what they should be.

5) Power supply is smaller then I would like but I don't believe it is causing the issue. I even tried running the computer with bare minimum (Motherboard, APU,HDD, RAM, PS)

If you guys have any idea what I could or should do please let me know. Can someone confirm that the memory is causing an error code 79 (APCI). Thanks in advance, I am not sure If I should RMA the motherboard or get a different Memory stick.

Problem solved

The issue was number five under other solutions and concerns. I hooked up my other 750 watt PS and the computer seems to be running fine so far.

Improvements
1) I no longer get error code 79 (APCI)
2) A drastic increase in boot time. Before it took up to a minute or longer for the BIOS menu screen to pop up. Now it pops up instantly.

Back