• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Block kids from install software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amandawilliams

Is there a software I can use to keep kids from downloading software and installing it on windows xp? (these are smart 12yr olds)

I only want them to be allowed to play flash games online.

Set yourself up as administrator and the kids as users with limited privileges: the system will let you configure each according to you, the administrator's, desires, such as the can go online but can't install (no "write" privileges), they have access to only certain files on the PC, etc.

There are some programs that can be "installed" without administrative privileges. If the program is able to run from anywhere, it is a bit more difficult to stop. For example, Chrome, "mobile" versions of Firefox, etc.

What exactly are you trying to stop them from downloading? If these are your children, it would be a good idea to sit down and talk with them to explain what is appropriate computer use.

Not my kids just what someone wants me to do.

Blocking the ability to download games with spyware and other not so good things. Limited account did not do anything.

Worst case using sandboxie (sp?) Could do the trick.

May need to use stricter local computer/user policy settings via gpedit.msc

Not my kids just what someone wants me to do.

Blocking the ability to download games with spyware and other not so good things. Limited account did not do anything.
The issue is that there is no "magic bullet" to this problem. There is no way to idiot proof a computer. I can personally attest to this as I work with adults that still manage to screw their work systems up running measures that I've installed to keep them clean. There are steps you can take to prevent things from happening, but it only goes so far.

The most (feasible) locked down solution would be to password protect the administrator account, create a password protected limited account, and have the parents log the computer in to the limited account when the kids are allowed to use it. That way, the parents know they are using the system, how long they are using it, and what they are using it for. If the kids can't be trusted to not completely hose the system, they should be watched during use. For increasing security, I would suggest using Firefox and installing the AdBlock Plus and FlashBlock addons at a minimum. If you can deal with the initial setup, I would highly suggest using NoScript. This should stop most infections caused by innocuous browsing. They should also be running an operating system that was released somewhat recently. For example, XP is from 2001 and should not be used. I would suggest Windows 7, or if they are buying a new computer, stick with the Windows 8 that it is likely bundled with.

However, the underlying problem still has yet to be addressed, as much talking as I've done and with the suggestions I've given. The problem isn't a technical problem and there is absolutely no technical fix that will solve it. This is a social problem. You don't fix social problems with technical solutions. There will always be security holes in the system and there are always around settings on the computer. They should sit down with their kids to explain appropriate browsing behavior and what is and isn't responsible/appropriate/allowed on the computer. If they simply don't understand, the problem is going to repeat itself, ad nauseum.

For example, give me a computer that is completely locked down, where I don't even have an account on the system, the absolute tightest software security installed, and I can be using the system for whatever I want in minutes; restart and boot another media source (linux on a flash drive, disk, etc). I could just use that environment or mess with the one on the disk to gain access, if I so choose. This would give access to local accounts on the system, which includes administrative accounts. Oh, it has a BIOS password? Cute. 10 seconds longer. This list just goes on and on. Someone that wants to use the system for their purposes will find a way around whatever you have setup. It just depends on how determined and knowledgeable they are.

Last edited:
Back