• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blown Capacitor??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tibai

So i have this board, old as crap, EVGA Nforce 4, (nf41), and I recently heard a loud pop from inside my computer while i was using it, nothing happened to the computer, it stayed running and I didnt know what to think so I tshut it down and dicovered this!!!

DSCN1189.jpg

Now i think that is a blown capacitor right? My system is still stable and works fine. But that one is below the cpu and above the GPU.

Now upon investigating further I noticed that next to the ram i have more of these "exploded" wonders. about 5 in total and my system runs fine and has no problems whatsoever. Anyone have any ideas what it is?

That cap is right next to a coil my guess is it was heating up and then just couldn't take it and let the magic smoke out.Although you board is stable and works fine , some components might not be receiving as stable of current as intended. You can replace the caps if you can and if it is worth it to you .

Yeah, you have blown caps there. I wouldn't run that system like that because it's liable to take out your other components too. Doesn't eVGA have a lifetime warranty on their motherboards? If so, I would RMA it to them. If not and you want to fix it, I would go post over at badcaps.net and see what they recommend for replacement caps.

Or you could search ebay or maybe even a local radioshack for a replacement cap. If it isnt surface mount its easy as pie to replace, as i've replaced tons of caps where i work on a whole bunch of those Dell Optiplex motherboards. But thats most likely a filter capacitor and your machine will run fine without it, just if another one blows i wouldnt suggest running it, i had a GeForce 7600GT blow 2 filter caps and still run, it finally died on the 3rd one but just replaced them and it worked fine again lol.

bites the dust

I had one of those EVGA NV4 boards with the same crappy capacitors.
I had 4 blown and just trashed it. With that much going bad I felt it was just junk anyway.
I did find a nice Abit NV4 Kn8 ultra on Ebay that works fine.

Back