• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot loop Z87N-wifi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adelage

Registered
Hi everyone
I'm esperiencing a problem with my main rig (see signature), after a couple of weeks I haven't used it, yesterday I've plugged back everything, but the pc doesnt POST, nor makes any beep, but just keep on switching on(2sec)/off in a continuos loop...
what I've already tried:
1 Unplugging everything leaving just one RAM,the monitor and the keyboard (no VGA, audio, sata, usb)
2 Tryed different PSU
3 Unplugged power, removed battery, jumper on clear cmos (reset bios) for more than 30min
4 Separately tried both sticks of RAM in both the slots
no changes, always same response:boot on, two seconds,switch off, three seconds, boot on.....
I'm starting to think that the only solution is rma, but I have removed the chipset heatsink and I don't have it anymore...do you think they would accept it even without chipset heatsink (or with the customized one)?

note...I've noticed that two of the usb 3 header pins were touching each other because they were bent, might it be the cause?

I'm thinking there's a power or MB issue from what you've stated above. Have you jumpered the PSU to see that it is working? Or tried testing it with a MM?

Bent USB connectors? I wouldn't think anything wrong but you could have cracked the leads on it/them.

Missing the HS = no RMA for free. They will rightfully say you've altered/damaged the board. And perhaps your board's chip set is showing too much heat upon startup and BIOS won't allow further board activity ?

I'm thinking there's a power or MB issue from what you've stated above. Have you jumpered the PSU to see that it is working? Or tried testing it with a MM?

I've tried a different PSU,same result

Bent USB connectors? I wouldn't think anything wrong but you could have cracked the leads on it/them.

basically the odd pin (next to the missing one) on the mobo header was bent and touching the one next to it, that was the only alteration since when the pc it was working

Missing the HS = no RMA for free. They will rightfully say you've altered/damaged the board. And perhaps your board's chip set is showing too much heat upon startup and BIOS won't allow further board activity ?

the heatsink I've put now is much better and keeps the chip set way cooler, anyway the mobo doesn't post at all, I've tried to make it start without ram and the reaction is exactly the same, but it's impossible I've burnt both the sticks of ram...I'he also tried to force the dualbios short circuiting the BIOS pins,but nothing...I was thinking to buy a new mobo and get the chip set cooler from that one so I can rma

This likely shorted the board; seen it before. Board will be dead.

if you are sure about that ( and actually I was losing any hope) I'm gonna order a new mobo, I wonder if this board will be accepted by the RMA guys, if I order another one and get the chip set cooler from the new one, at the end there's no sign of aesthetic damage...otherwise I would rather order an Asus z87i pro

mobo ordered, I'll update once I'll have an answer from the RMA to see if this kind of "failure" is covered by warranty..of course I won't mention the USB short, the crooked pin has already been fixed :rolleyes:

got the new mobo, everything works fine, soon i'll rma the old one and let know if they will accept it

Hi everyone
I'm esperiencing a problem with my main rig (see signature), after a couple of weeks I haven't used it, yesterday I've plugged back everything, but the pc doesnt POST, nor makes any beep, but just keep on switching on(2sec)/off in a continuos loop...

Heard that it could be a bad transistor or pin.

just some notes:
- with the nvidia GPU the loop is more delayed (like 3s on - 4s off)
- with the igp the on off gap is shorter (2s on - 3s off)
- with or w/out ram the response is the same
- shorting some bios pins (5-6) the system shut down after 1s
anyway I'm 90% sure that the board is dead, so the only attempt is RMA and a lot of hope

the same model (ga-z87n-wifi), as I needed the original chipset cooler (I lost mine) to RMA the faulty one

well, after months I have finally found some time to get the mobo RMAed, and for everyone who has experienced the same problem I have got an answer:
if your mobo short circuited between the last pin (the odd one) and the one next to it on the usb3 header, and consequently it doesn't boot, but just keeps on switching on and off in an endless boot cycle, if still in warranty (3years from the manufacturing, or 1 year from the purchase), Gigabyte will fix it (of course there's no need to tell them how you burnt it!), in my case they have substituted the chipset, and now the mobo is working again! :D
the only annoying thing, in the UK you have to pay for the shipping costs (both, even for the courier that has to collect it from them after they got it fixed)

Last edited:
Back