• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bored...Swiftech MCW 6000 Waterblock Painting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jpm804

Just got in some swiftech parts for a new project i'm working on... I was bored and decided to paint the waterblock. Just wanted something different than the standard copper color of the block.

I saw on some reviews where the block was black, but it looks like swiftech dosen't sell a black block so I decided to make my own.

(also the reason the tips are unpainted is because i'm waiting to get some quick connectors for the block and it will cover that area.

st.JPG

Looks good, especially with the black retention bracket. It must look better than the copper since the copper can kinda lose its shine from oxidation.

I painted my hold-down Metalcast green (green candy-apple) and left the block as copper...looks great together.

How'd you leave the swifty logo w/o a blue background? Nice job!

RC64, I think the swifty is clearcoated on the top so it won't oxidize like that, otherwise you are correct that it looks bad.

Diggrr said:
How'd you leave the swifty logo w/o a blue background? Nice job!

I acutally didn't paint the hold-down bracket, it was black when I got it. I was debating whether to paint that red or keep it black...

Huh...thought they were all blue, like on swifty's site, like on heatsink factory's site, like the one in my computer (used to be blue anyway).
Never seen one in a different color.

Learn something new every day ;)

that looks really clean - good job man

and btw, leave it black - i like how clean it looks with the swiffy logo

Alacritan said:
How many coats and did you use a clearcoat?

Had to paint it twice since I messed up the first time. Used Duplicolor paint from autozone.

Used flat black primer and then used a glossy black paint. One coat each was good enough, since the first time I painted it I put way too many coats on it. I found out less was better and alot cleaner.

I thinking of putting on a clear coat to get a more glossy look.

Sneaky said:
that looks really clean - good job man

and btw, leave it black - i like how clean it looks with the swiffy logo

Yeah most likely gonna leave it black since I also like the logo.

My idea for painting came from seeing this :

wb1.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys...got the rest of my swiftech blocks in to match my black cpu block..it matched pretty well with the other blocks. :attn:

st1.JPG

Did you just mask off swiftech or did u have other decals to put on after or did they just peel right off then u put them back on...

Dukemurmur said:
Did you just mask off swiftech or did u have other decals to put on after or did they just peel right off then u put them back on...

The GPU and NB Block come in black so I didn't have to paint those. The mounting bracket for the CPU block is black so it didnt involve masking off or remvoing the logo. I only painted the CPU block itself.

Back