• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand new to overclocking. need help and guidance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very safe. 1.125 is quite low. Until you get over 1.5 CPU volts, temps are all you need to be concerned about as you increase the CPU voltage in the overclocking process. As you increase the volts, core temps and CPUTIN temps will rise and I've already given you guidelines for those.

mine was at 1.2500 already, it is now at 1.2750

my cpu frequency is now 225 and im still climbing at 20 min intervals.

Okay, it sounds like you're off to a good start. A 20 minute stress test is enough to establish tentative stability and is time efficient at the front end of the overclocking process. When you sense you have arrived at your max overclock I will have you run a two hour stress test to confirm stability and make final adjustments as necessary.

By the way, overclockers pay no attention to those "Max CPU voltage" lines in bios. They are very, very conservative markers. The motherboard companies are just trying to cover their backsides. As you now know, the "Max CPU" voltage corresponds to the stock voltage the CPU shipped at. It's not really a max at all.

ok, I am currently at 230 and it withstood 20 mins stress test with 42 degrees cpu temp being the highest. I did have to increase the voltage by another .025 to get it here so I am running at 1.3000 at the moment.

When i try 235, i dont even get to the windows loading screen before I get a checksum error.
is there anyway around this or am I at my maximum?

Trents is absolutely taking you down the right path. Your failed post is not uncommon, nor is freezeing/BSOD during overclocking. It's just your rig telling you it's "unhappy" with its current setting. I would like to add this is an excellent guide to overclocking these Phenoms. It's a great read and will not only explain what to do, but why.

Best of luck.

:popcorn:

thanks, ill have a read of that now.
I loosened the RAM timings with the settings on CPU-Z, seems to have fixed the checksum. I now havethe power at 1.3250 at 240 but I havnt tested it yet, just about to. Heat hasnt played any part yet, its still 42 max!

I hope I did the right thing by changing he RAM timings and increasing the CPU voltage :S

tbh, im considering stopping at 250. is there anything I need to do once I get there?

all cpu-z pics and HW monitor after stress test for 20 mins

Attachments

• cpu3.jpg
    cpu3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 49
  • memory3.jpg
    memory3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 49
  • spd3.jpg
    spd3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 46
  • hwmon2.jpg
    hwmon2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 46
OK, the only thing on those pics that concerns me is your CPUTIN(CPU socket Temp). 105C is ridiculous high, so I'll assume it's a false reading. Especially with your core temps still in check.

Also notice. On your memory tab that your RAM is now 630ish even though you still have it set to 533 in BIOS. Thats because your FSB affects your CPU, HT, NB and RAM frequencies. That would explain why it became unstable as you upped it. Try and match the SPD tab with your ram timings.

Also, watch that CPUTIN. If it's starting out at a normal temp but is climbing into the ridiculous level you may be pushing to hard. The max socket temp I push to is 60C but we each have our own comfort level.

:popcorn:

well i have looked on th internet and some people are saying that some systms get false readings.

I havebeen watching the monitor as th test go and not once did the value go past 53 or 54, yet the Max kept going up (usually to double what the value was)
Im paying more atention to the value for this rather than the max as i think something is wrong with he readings.

even at idle when i just start the monitor the max is double the value.

ok, now my bios wont boot if i try 250. so i think ive hit my wall at 245 (3.19ghz) which im fairly happy with for a 2.6 cpu :p

is there anything i need to do to finish up? im gona run a stress test overnight to see if it works stable. anything else?

also, do you think its worth looking into overclocking my graphics card? radeon hd 7750 or is it a bit pointless? lol

3.2 is a respectable OC for that CPU. I would write down your settings on a note pad for future use or save it to a flash drive if your mobo has that option.

As far as oc'ing your GPU, thats my next step also.

I think you can go higher if you add some more vcore (CPU voltage). Your vcore is still quite modest under load (max of 1.32) and your temps, both core temp and CPUTIN (which is the motherboard socket temp) have some headroom yet. I'd increase the vcore by another .025 volts and test again. I'd like to see you get your CPU frequency to 250 mhz so that you're getting the most out of your ram it's rated for. At 250 mhz CPU frequency you should get 666/1333 from the ram.

well, i ran a stress test overnight last night at 445, it last 30 mins and give me errors (didnt restart, just errors in the test.
I tried to put he voltage up, made no difference and if i ried anything past 456 my bios wouldnt boot even when i added .05 v to it.

so i hve come back down to 240 which i think is the safest bet and I am going o run a stress test while I am cleaning lol.
is it ok to play music through the pc while stress testing? XD

Try increasing your NB voltage to 1.225 along with the .025 CPU voltage increase I suggested earlier. If you will look at your last CPU-z pics you will see that your NB frequency is now exceeding stock by 154 mhz. And bump your Memory voltage up to 1.55 as it looks like your memory timings may be a little aggressive for the frequency (Compare the current timings in the Memory tab of CPU-z with what the manufacturer suggests in JEDEC columns 3 and 4.).

i tried running a stress test at 240 and again, it shut down after round 2 hours.

is it needed to run for 12 hours? ill try these new things tommorow.

There is no need to run it for that long, does nothing but cook the cpu. I do doubt that you run anything that is likely to stress the cpu that much. Besides even if you do pass prime for 12 hrs, you still may have a bad piece of software that will crash your system even if it is stable. I ran prime for 3 iterations, it crashed one core after teh second run, out of curiosity I did a one her flight n FSX which hates instability and it never had any issue, and it will run with most cores at 95% when in the air. Generally i try to get it stable for 3 to 4 passes, i am not going to cook my CPU just so I can say I did it for 12 hrs.

i tried running a stress test at 240 and again, it shut down after round 2 hours.

is it needed to run for 12 hours? ill try these new things tommorow.

Running a Blend test in Prime95 for 2 hours is enough. There is nothing you will do on your computer during day to day use that will tax the system like the Blend test.

If all cores are running with zero failures and zero errors and your temperatures are in line after 2 hours consider your system stable and have fun!

ok, as far as i can tell my computer really doesnt want to go past 445.

i have no seperate NB voltage option so I can not incrase that, my next memory power option is 1.598 which i thougt was a little too high and my cpu voltage is now at 1.475.

the downside of all of this is that my computer fan sounds loud as hell lol

Edit---------
ran a quick stress test, cpu-1 had an error within 2 mins.
gone back to 440 to be safe until anyone can suggest anything nice :p

Last edited:
until anyone can suggest anything nice :p

Probably the nicest thing you could do for yourself is to settle for what you can get for an overclock and quit pushing so hard or move away from >> asrock n68c-s ucc << that Nvidia chipset board to a g00d AMD chipset motherboard and not the cheapest thing out there.
RGone...

Back