• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brand new to overclocking. need help and guidance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Two hours is plenty. Your motherboard is limiting further progress I imagine.

it wasnt so much "the cheapest hing out there" it was just what I had lying around haha. buit the pc up from parts with the intention to upgrade over time, but id say it is safer to learn to overclock things on a spare parts machine first than an expensive one.

Yes, don't guess it is a bad idea to begin with something (system) that is not so valuable and then buy better later after learning to adjust the system. However that idea can have short-comings when dealing with things like motherboards. The good boards are almost night and day different from their lesser counterparts.

I had not gotten a new motherboard in about 3 years when I bought one to use with the newer AMD FX processors. I had not seen the cpu and knew they ran h0t and required a lot of power from the VRM circuit to run fast. I did not buy a practice board. It would have been a mistake since the board would have severly limited my fun and could even have killed itself trying to keep up with my testing for outright speed.

I was not really thinking about the cost of the board you were using now, but rather thinking to the 'next' board and that it should be much better than entry level, since the better boards do in fact work better on the order of 90% of the time and is not the limiting factor in an overclock.

Good luck to you man.
RGone...

well im getting £150 this weekend which i plan on spending on upgrading. im a little confused as to wht i should get, should i spend it all on a new MoBo/CPU combo? or get a faster hrdrive (this ones not too great) or increase my ram.

or possibly a water cooling system since this is LOUD!

another thin which confuses me, my room-mate has a radeon 5750 in his computer and windows scores his at 7.9 in the experience thing, I have the 7750 and im scored at 7.6.... id have thought mine would have been a hell of an upgrade frm his.

Last edited:
well im getting £150 this weekend which i plan on spending on upgrading. im a little confused as to wht i should get, should i spend it all on a new MoBo/CPU combo? or get a faster hrdrive (this ones not too great) or increase my ram.

When building a house, you won't have a very good house if the foundation you are building on is poor quality.

In other words, you need a decent motherboard. I'm not up on UK pricing but decent motherboards without a CPU are likely to run you about 125 to 175 pound. The following boards are widely accepted as minimum foundations for 125W TDP chips:

Asus Crosshair V
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Asrock 990FX Extreme9

There are others, but these are most common and will provide for a good, solid foundation for any FX based chip you wish to use.

Back