• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brands that you will never buy from again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh yes, I forgot about UPS...

I was waiting for some very high importance and urgent tax stuff from the UK.

I thought UPS would have been fast and reliable, sending these papers from London to Corsica.

Wrong: They mixed up my address with some guy in Marseille! It took almost one month to finally get them and I lost something like €2000. Which I couldn't claim from UPS as the stuff sent was actually worth nothing...

like I said, bad things happen. Sometomes twice and with bad customer service. For every terrible story like yours there are thousands of other positive experiences with the same product.

I understand how this sours people on products/vendors. I just dont take it to the extreme of never buying again.

So if you're OK with brand even if they turned out to be lemons, I have a German made Zeppelin for sale. :D

+1 UPS. I think they go out of the way to damage every packages that are delivered to residential addresses. They left a new case out in the raid instead of putting them 2 feet further in the covered porch, they left a "signature required" package without any signature valued over a grand, and quite a few crushed packages. I try to get Fedex or USPS over UPS if that is offered. Someone at another overclocking forum even had issue with UPS who destroyed computer case, and destroyed the replacemenet case too!! (http://www.overclock.net/t/1197929/build-log-the-black-hole-where-the-money-went#post_16156890)

So if you're OK with brand even if they turned out to be lemons, I have a German made Zeppelin for sale. :D
i havent run across an entire brand of anything that lemons...have you?

@ thiddy - I guess I havent been wronged as harsh as some others. my patience and understanding being in customer service and managing a team of csr's gives me a bit of insight.

My issues with my sentra are as close as I have come to boycotting any business. But I know the issues will not happen agaun either.

50/50

Corsair
UPS

Will only support these companies if there's no other alternative. Fortunately there's always an alternative.

Corsair products, with one exception, have been stellar in compatibility, performance and quality across their entire line of products. The one exception, I received top notch service, free return shipping and replacement of the prematurely defunct item. Actually, Corsair sent me one level higher in their product line and 50W more power with a higher 80+ rating for my troubles. :shock: The original was still available, as it was from a newer model line also. It's hard to put them down for service that good!

UPS - U P - Slow - the reason they are so slow? They have to make sure they take the time to plan out the damage to every package just right before they deliver it. **True story...no really! I saw it with my own 20/20 vision. Picking up a package at the local terminal I missed them delivering, I could see the trucks backed up to a large conveyor. I stood there watching UPS package handlers/truck un/loaders, literally (That means for real!) tossing the packages out of the trucks, almost always bypassing the EZ-Roll ramps to the conveyor belt completely. What caught my eye were the several DELL boxes plainly stating FRAGILE/MONITOR/COMPUTER PRODUCT/HANDLE WITH CARE/DO NOT THROW, DROP, EXPOSE TO MOISTURE, printed on them clearly in bold large black lettering, come flying out the back of a couple trucks, hit the end of the EZ-ROLL and flip end for end several times as they moved down the conveyor! I asked the clerk attending me if the guys back there were playing football and who was winning? He turned, quickly dropped the blind and closed the slats and with attitude said, "We DO NOT play football with packages!" A few years later, supervising at a warehouse, I had a customer-important damaged package with missing content (broken open). The UPS rep came in that afternoon and refused to pay a claim because we had cut the tape on the package. We did so to get a count, this was an important customer and the order was time sensitive. The rep said since we opened the box and touched the contents they wouldn't pay the claim. Btw...It is in their policy to inspect damage and contents WITHOUT their rep present. He claimed we could have dropped the box and cause the break losing the parts. Is that nerve or what?! I asked him who won the football game played with the package and he got so mad he raised his voice saying, " We DO NOT "fourletterwordendingwithINGhere" play football with customer packages!" and walked out. I reported him. He was fired, as I had witnesses, but UPS still wouldn't pay giving no good reason. I strongly dislike U P - Slow! :mad:

Last edited:
thats funny my UPS guys are great up here in MI! i even got all my computer parts by them in 5 loads (i built over time) and they were in perfect shape! but on the other hand my USPS are morons! one time i was shipping me and my familys passports and we went inside to pay for there and back shipping insured in on the way but they claimed you cant insure in on the way back so we payed for there and back shipping. wel it turns out the moron did not put enough postage on the package for the return trip! so it was sent to the place where they hold unpayed mail! we even called USPS asking where our package is and they had no idea!

i now ship thru a diff USPS office where morons dont work!

oh and we needed our passports so we rushed new ones that was $200 per person! so about $800 total!!!

i havent run across an entire brand of anything that lemons...have you?

I have. :D That brand is called PCHIPS/ELITEGROUP. It is the only computer gear. That when someone posts on the forums here. I will not help. Not because I have an embargo on them, or dislike them from past (multiple) experiences. The fact is, I simply cannot help with such poor hardware. I even will pass up money for servicing... There is nothing I can do.

That is the only brand I honestly dislike and every product I ran across has had issue.

So the time for me backing up my thing....
I have seen caps on (more than one board (new items) not soldered right. I have seen drivers make a otherwise stable chipset, unstable. I have waited 7 years for an email(s,) that have yet to receive a reply. I sent it more than once from multiple accounts... The context was... "Are you going to support [specific] model [PCCHIPS branded] board on your official website?"

The brand is junk in more than a physical presence.

It amazes me the complaints about UPS and USPS.

I think antagonistic people often have troubles like this with vendors. I work with a guy that swears to have had, or know someone who's had, issues with every business in town. It's not the businesses, it's the people.

Specific to USPS and UPS, you need to pack and ship accordingly. Your drive comes all busted up from newegg? The problem wasn't the shipper, it was newegg saving money with paper instead of the peanuts they used to use.

I package my stuff so if it's airdropped from a plane it will survive.

I think antagonistic people often have troubles like this with vendors. I work with a guy that swears to have had, or know someone who's had, issues with every business in town. It's not the businesses, it's the people.

Specific to USPS and UPS, you need to pack and ship accordingly. Your drive comes all busted up from newegg? The problem wasn't the shipper, it was newegg saving money with paper instead of the peanuts they used to use.

I believe that, in my case, UPS is responsible for sending the papers to some guy in Marseille by mixing the addresses. It took one month for me to get the package...

Seagate/Maxtor and I guess now Samsung HDD's. When I worked in a small independent computer build/repair shop we'd buy boxes of 6 Hdd's at a time. There was a period of months where often 2-4 of the 6 wouldnt work right out of the box and within the first year 4-5 of the 6 were brought back due to failure. It was mind boggling how case after case could be shipped out with such a high failure rate.

I usually go with WD but bought a few Seagate's without knowing they had bought maxtor. I had 5 hard drives going earlier this year, 3 WD and 2 seagates. Both seagates have failed, albeit after 4 and 5 years respectively but the WD I purchased at the same time solider on.

Now that I see Seagate has purchased Samsung's HDD division I will stay far away.

Asus- Had a Asus mobo die M3N HD HDMI, Called customer service, they wanted me to call Support in UK. I live in USA. I told them that call would cost me a Crap load of money, they said sorry, I have to call them. blah blah blah. After about 30min of dealing with them and getting no where. I told em im not calling UK and they need to take care of me. I ended up getting a Gigabyte mobo to replace the Asus and just threw it away. granted the board was only $120, but I was to pisse to care. The Asus M3N HD HDMI laster 3 months. The gigabyte board is still chugging along.

Kingston- Had HyperX DDR2 1066 mem, 2x2 gig. Sent in RMA, Got 2 bad sticks back, Sent another RMA, got the same serial# sticks back. Sent 3rd RMA got 1 good stick 1 bad one. gave up, went with Corsair.

Altec Lansing
the products are usually good but customer service is broken.
i bought two small usb speakers. they started whining when the computer was off. i rma's them and they admitted to them being faulty. i send both but only got one back. after some back and forth i finally got the other one back which still made the same whining noise :(
to top it all of, it takes them 2 weeks everytime you send a message or update your case or any interaction with customer service so you can imagine how long this whole thing lasted. never again.

Dodge
cars are ok but customer service is bad. if your car is more then a year old you are already a 2nd class citizen. 2 years, you are of the grid. 3+ years, stop harassing already with your bucket. don't count on longevity here. i could go on but i think you get the point.

midas
good work, bad service. not the friendliness is the problem but they will not tell you about anything wrong with your car unless you specifically ask about it.
they make sure you come back for service

i had some good and some bad experiences with ASUS but lately they have rather been good then bad. all in all i think they have been trying harder lately. Gigabyte about the same. the EP45-UD3P was a blessing to most but a nightmare to me.

I agree to some degree. Especially with the antagonistic reps. It is still the shipper's job to get the package to you undamaged, IE: handle it correctly and with care.

However, I can order a computer part through Newegg, have it come wrapped in that paper, via UPS and it will be beat up every single time. Honestly! Since they switched from FedEx to UPS, I have yet to receive a nice looking - as it was packed box. I have ordered computer parts through other etailers, paper has been used for packing also, they ship via FedEx or USPS Priority and I receive a nearly pristine package every time. :shrug: In 15 years of building, upgrading and fixing computers, I have never had to make a claim with FedEx, the USPS or feel compelled to rip into a package to make sure that nasty looking smash on the outside didn't equate to parts of parts on the inside with UPS. I have had to file claims with UPS more than a few times. That includes the "peanut packing years." Fifteen years for either side of the discussion indicates more of an organizationally wide effort, rather than individual, to get it right or not.

Back