• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bricked mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I have a ASUS M4A785-M mobo that suddenly claims 'bad BIOS checksum'
I have the BIOS downloaded from ASUS on a CD , but the mobo claims it's not on the CD. I've tried two different disc players (one IDE one SATA) with everything else out , same results. CPU was running@ stock clock at the time of failure. Other than possibly having the wrong format type , I'm at a loss. Any suggestions? I'm trying to find a USB flash drive as a last resort. I've tried clearing CMOS and pulling the battery with no change. A new mobo means a new CPU and a hassle with M$ to re-activate my OS. Not to mention I can't afford it and I'm currently on a borrowed XP machine that is sooooo slow. :bang head
Rig is in the sig.

Have you tried redoing the bios from USB,? You can buy a new BIOS chip if needed. the ASUS store.. Hell you can even find them on ebay :)

Yeah , I've now tried a CD and a USB drive. Mobo says it's reading the file then claims the device isn't present. It's still under warranty , but that will be time consuming. Oh well. Nobody said life would be easy.

i just had to send mine in for the BIOS issue.. I updated to the new bios and it never booted right again.. :*( Still wating on it to get back... Its been little over a week now.. :(

Good Luck man.. It sucks :(

If you don't want to go through the RMA proces just buy a new BIOS chip on eBay for 10-15 bucks as already mentioned. I've done it numerous times.

Thanks. This computer has been through hell , I can't fault it the occasional hiccup. There's just never a convenient time for failure.

The one good thing about RMA.. They will pay for both way shipping(If you have multi RMA :D) Its very easy to change out the bios chip...

Too bad my board is obsolete. No chance of cross-shipping. On the plus side , the only replacement they have has better OC potential with more/finer voltage adjustments.

If you don't want to go through the RMA proces just buy a new BIOS chip on eBay for 10-15 bucks as already mentioned. I've done it numerous times.

I've done that last week for my fatality: well worth the €10!

RMA process can take quite a while...

I guess it can! I'm up to 8 emails and counting. :rolleyes: I'll take the blame for two of them-I read the serial number wrong , with a mirror , because the case seemed like the safest place to store the board until shipping. Oops. So while they sort that out I'm waiting...and waiting...:bang head I know patience is a virtue , but I've never been very virtuous and I want my computer back up!

Hmmmmmm....

Finally got my RMA number (I'm paying shipping to ASUS) , but after some research on POST beeps (3 short followed by 5 short) and remembering multiple CPU Northbridge failures in the W7 Event Viewer , I'm beginning to wonder if my CPU failed and not my mobo? Anybody have any experience with this or something similar? I've tried different RAM in different slots to no effect. Don't have a spare CPU to try.

3 short beeps=first 64kb memory failure
5 short beeps=CPU failure

Finally!

Got my FedEx box yesterday. ASUS sent me a brand new mobo. Everything works like a charm. I'm currently running a 250MHz OC on the CPU , with a 107 MHz OC on the RAM ( 333 to 440). At all stock voltages it's been stable as a rock. I have to say I'm satisfied with ASUS' customer service. My opinion may be influenced by my happiness at no longer having to use a 8 year old XP machine that receives zero maintenance. That kludge took longer to load the IE home page than mine takes to boot , log on , get to Overclockers , and start posting. :facepalm:
Now to get a LGA775 mobo for my freebie QX9650 ES....... :D

Back