• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bricked my 3090 FE ?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rrul

Registered
Hi all, while re-pasting a may have bricked my 3090 FE, one of the super small cap thingies came off.

Anyone an idea what it is/was at the arrow in linked pics ?

Don't have it anymore, don't know someone who may be able to fix it, seems way to small to solder back on, 1mm long.

Only option seems to just try my luck and turn it on, but using it for mining and don't want a fire hazard...

Just discarding the card also does not seem the way to go. Am stuck here :)

bricked 3090 1.jpg

bricked 3090 2.jpg

Not sure if that's required either. Not likely to be a fire hazard and if it works that's great. If it doesn't I would try some conductive ink or similar to reconnect that point.

If it doesn't work you should be able to RMA it. It's only 6 months old at the latest.

If it doesn't work you should be able to RMA it. It's only 6 months old at the latest.
Physical damage tho... Sell it on eBay for parts and make a mint.

I would call nvidia and explain what happened. Worst case they cannot fix it. If they can't fix it pay someone to solder that back on.

Physical damage... you can't (shouldn't) rma that if you caused it.

You can try and explain it to them honestly, maybe they'll even give you a part number for the cap, but... yeah...accidental physical damage isn't RMAable (some would say it isnt ethical)

Physical damage... you can't (shouldn't) rma that if you caused it.

You can try and explain it to them honestly, maybe they'll even give you a part number for the cap, but... yeah...accidental physical damage isn't RMAable (some would say it isnt ethical)

This was my first thought.

We have some members (Dr McCoy) that can repair that area/item.. You would have to ask. He is on here occasionally BUT his home is over at Warp9systems.com. You could leave a request in the Computer Repair Section on here also :)

^ FYI - I had a HD-7950 that I did the same thing to it and he was able to repair it.

Correct. I forgot about the physical damage thing.b still they might be able to repair it for a fee of course.

Don't be a toddler! Plug the damned thing in!

It's not going to burst into FLAMES. I bought a motherboard that had TWO capacitors missing... and a third one was heavily dented. I ran that motherboard for about a month before getting the replacement capacitors in the mail and soldering them on myself. (There's a glorious victory thread about that on these forums somewhere...)

I sincerely doubt that missing that one little piece is enough to prevent the entire card from working.

(Also... why the hell were you re-pasting a brand new card??? :nono:

OP, just curious. Does your card still work? Do you still have it?

I knocked a cap off my Gigabyte 1080Ti Gaming OC recently. I fired it up and it still worked, but I think the cap or resistor in question had something to do with the DVI-D output, which I don't use anyway.

I knocked a cap off my Gigabyte 1080Ti Gaming OC recently. I fired it up and it still worked, but I think the cap or resistor in question had something to do with the DVI-D output, which I don't use anyway.

Exactly what I was saying! Who knows what that tiny little thing did... I doubt it was enough to prevent the whole card from working... That motherboard I mentioned earlier was missing an important sound chip... but even the sound still worked fine without it.

Back