• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED BSOD 0x0000001E, HDD related difficulties and other shenanigans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you just installed, it would probably be better to simply wipe the drive and start over. If you had a bad cable, who knows what else is wrong with the install?

Alright, I'll do that... Too bad that I just installed everything I needed before this happened though :/
Gonna go into safe mode first and make a checklist of which programs I had installed.
Also, what method would you recommend for wiping the drive?
I must admit I haven't done this before.

When you do the install and it asks you to create the partitions, click the Format button before hitting Next.

When you do the install and it asks you to create the partitions, click the Format button before hitting Next.

I have a quick question; Is there any benefit at all to having my games on a separate (1TB) partition, so that my OS is on a different one? (but still on the same HDD)

Different partition, same drive? About the only benefit is that when you reinstall, that partition doesn't get wiped. But, if the games require registry keys to function, you need to reinstall them anyway.

Personally, I don't do it and wouldn't suggest doing it.

Different partition, same drive? About the only benefit is that when you reinstall, that partition doesn't get wiped. But, if the games require registry keys to function, you need to reinstall them anyway.

Personally, I don't do it and wouldn't suggest doing it.

I just did...
860.gif

(Sorry, but I felt that was appropriate :3)
I also went ahead and converted my disk to GPT from MBR to support the fact that it's a 3TB HDD.
Going to install windows now, brb.

Meh.
During the installation of windows my pc had to restart to complete the installation, but after the restart it booted the windows installation dvd again, not the installation on my HDD.
I hit the restart button on my case and sure enough, my HDD was missing from BIOS again.
I hit the restart button several times and then suddenly it asked me whether I wanted to start windows in safe or normal mode, I hit normal and it resumed the installation...
Before getting a BSOD again, 0x000000F4 this time.
Even though I switched the cable and put it in a different mobo port earlier.
I've just replugged all the HDD cables again and hopefully windows will start now...
EDIT: Windows detected that it had stopped unexpectedly during the installation (referring to the BSOD) and now I need to reinstall windows again.

Do you have another hard drive you can try? We need to start isolating the problem. I think that narrows it down quite a bit, though.

If another hard drive doesn't work, then it is likely the controller or board. If another hard drive works on the SATA power/data cable, it is likely the hard drive.

Do you have another hard drive you can try? We need to start isolating the problem. I think that narrows it down quite a bit, though.

If another hard drive doesn't work, then it is likely the controller or board. If another hard drive works on the SATA power/data cable, it is likely the hard drive.

Unfortunately the only other hard drive I have is integrated into the laptop which I am using to type this on, so that's not going to work :/

Anything else we can try?

Does the motherboard have another drive controller? Most come with two, one Intel and the other some really crappy one.

If that fails, try a CMOS reset on the board. Failing that, manually set your RAM timings/speeds/voltages to stock.

Does the motherboard have another drive controller? Most come with two, one Intel and the other some really crappy one.

If by 'controller' you mean 'piece of plastic sticking out of motherboard with some sata data ports', then yes.

Although if that's not it then I'm not sure...
My motherboard is the ASRock Z77 Extreme6.

Also, I was installing windows while we were having this conversation, and the HDD seems to have disconnected again;
The windows installation was canceled (with an error code which I regrettably forgot to write down) and now I'm back in the 'where do you want to install windows?' screen and it says no drives were found.

My mobo has a 'clear CMOS' switch, is that how I would reset CMOS?

The black and gray connectors are different controllers, it looks like.

The black and gray connectors are different controllers, it looks like.

Switched the HDD cable from a gray to a black port.
It is being detected again, but we'll see how it holds up during windows installation.

Sure enough, I managed to install windows.
If this means that part of my mobo is faulty, I am NOT looking forward to replacing that xD
But if I have to, I guess I have to...

I would continue to use it and see if it has problems, but if you got this far, chances are that controller isn't doing well. As a test, you could reset the board CMOS, move it back over to that controller and reinstall one more time to see what happens. If it fails again, RMA time.

Okay so I was just installing all the drivers and programs again, first using my mobo driver cd, then evga's driver cd, but after the evga installation restarted my pc, it wouldn't boot again.
I got the exact same issue I described in this thread's first post.
This is leading me to believe that it's Nvidia's drivers that's causing this weird problem.
I forgot to make a system restore point right before I installed the drivers but I'm going to try to uninstall them through CCleaner in safe mode and see whether it boots again.

I just uninstalled 3 nvidia things:
3D vision driver
3D vision program (forgot the exact name)
Nvidia display driver

It now boots again...
...But this is rather disturbing because I do need the display driver in order to play any game properly :/

I really doubt it is drivers because you have issues during the installation of Windows, where no drivers are loaded.

If you can get it to boot normally, see what your temperatures are. If it wants to be nice, see what temperatures are while running LinX.

STOP: 0x0000001E

Probably a core stability issue. Likely too high of core temps. Most likely get it when gaming. :(

Gotten that one with Windows 2000 when overheating. (2007)

I really doubt it is drivers because you have issues during the installation of Windows, where no drivers are loaded.

If you can get it to boot normally, see what your temperatures are. If it wants to be nice, see what temperatures are while running LinX.

Probably a core stability issue. Likely too high of core temps. Most likely get it when gaming. :(

Gotten that one with Windows 2000 when overheating. (2007)

I got that after the installation of windows (i.e. the restart), not during.
I'll run Linx then...
I honestly doubt it's my cooling because even now it feels like an open fridge, that is to say, it seems like my cooling is overkill for what I've got.
I also wasn't gaming when the BSOD happened, it happened during startup.

Something strange just happened while installing the ASRock drivers from CD.

It rebooted a few times during the installation (normal) but then I get this:
2013-03-11%2007.59.28.jpg

(if images are not showing, right click and hit open in new tab)

And if i press any of the numbers listed I get this:
2013-03-11%2008.00.00.jpg

2013-03-11%2008.01.21.jpg

2013-03-11%2008.02.50.jpg

I guess it's saying 'disk too large' because I made it so my HDD now consists of one 3TB partition formatted to GPT?
Perhaps I should've made partitions after all...

Oh well, brb reinstalling windows again...

Last edited:
Back