• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trolerai

Registered
Here's my new build, the only things that I have from a previous build are the hard disk and the processor:
- mobo: ASRock G41M-GS3 http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G41M-GS3/
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
- 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333MHz Corsair
- Radeon HD7770 from MSI
- PSU: MS-TECH 750W ATX
- sata hard disk

1.) I ran a full memtest with both RAM together and one at a time: 0 errors.

2.) Ran a full CPU test at 100% with RealTemp and Prime95 with no problem, so I guess the CPU isn't a problem.

3.) I changed the HD7770 with a GeForce 9500 GS but the BSOD still occurred randomly.

The BSODs occur randomly after something with heavy graphics has been played but not immediately. For example the last one occurred after 5 minutes from closing BF Bad Company 2 and listening to music on the internet. Even now I'm afraid that blue screen will appear.
Video card drivers are all up to date and the mobo drivers are from the CD.

I really don't know what to do or think. Is it the mobo's fault? Should I return it?

MS-TECH PSU.. scary. No clue who makes it. That said, it it puts out half its rated power, it should be fine.

*Have you tried reinstalling your gpu drivers? Going back one release?
*What is the code on the BSOD?
*Are you overclocked? If so, does this happen at stock speeds?
*Have you tried updating your drivers from the website. The drivers on the disc are usually old, especially if you bought this system when that stuff was new a couple years ago.

I have not overclocked anything. It's all at stock parameters.
I got BSOD again, only browsing and no music.
I don't think it's a heat issue since it's randomly occurring, with or without heavy graphics. I also tried putting a huge fan on the open case but the BSOD still comes randomly during the benchmark of 3DMark.

Here's the BSOD code:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1040

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1a
BCP1: 0000000000008884
BCP2: FFFFFA80033E7F90
BCP3: FFFFFA80033B67C0
BCP4: 0000000000000502
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\112712-34875-01.dmp
C:\Users\Ariel\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-60875-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I updated mobo inf driver from the website and it rebooted thanks to the BSOD so here I am now, hoping for the better.

*Have you tried reinstalling your gpu drivers? Going back one release?
*Are you overclocked? If so, does this happen at stock speeds?
*Have you tried updating your drivers from the website. The drivers on the disc are usually old, especially if you bought this system when that stuff was new a couple years ago.
I think that is a memory code... odd. Try adding .05v of Vtt or .05v to your ram and see if that helps (after answering the questions above of course).

Thanks for the tip: I added a bit of voltage to the RAM. I also looked around and seen that BCCODE 1a is a memory fault code.
I'm too tired now, need to get rest. Hope that solves the problem because it's very random and not linked to anything in particular so I guess it could be a RAM problem.

No, I did not overclock anything: all stock parameters.
I installed all up to date drivers of mobo and GPU.

Good Morning!

I started up the PC first thing, I manually put the voltage at 1.59V but the BSOD came anyway after 15 minutes of browsing. Should I add more? My next possible value is 1.65V.

The strange thing is that with CPU-Z I see no details about the HD7770. Is it normal?
Here's the pic:
Capture.PNG

EDIT: I downloaded GPU-Z and it shows me all the info about the GPU.

Last edited:
I'm running memtest again until pass 7. I'm almost at pass 3 now and 0 errors.
If nothing comes up I'm returning the mobo (bought it on amazon.it, I'm from Italy).

If anyone has any suggestions you're welcome.
Sorry for the triple post.

UPDATE: RIGHT AT THE END OF PASS 2 an error came up. I'll wait til pass 8 or 9 and I think I'll send RAM back.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong in saying this, could it be, the memory timings are off or would that be shown as an error with memtest?

I'm at PASS 7 with memtest and I've got 3 errors: I'm thinking it's RAM's fault for the BSODs and should return it.

What do you guys think?

I tried yesterday going with 1.65V on the RAM but no luck.
I'm not trying anymore. I already sent a request for a substitution. It's new RAM and I want it to be perfect.

The vNB is already at 1.25V. I'm not going higher.

P.S. Remember to run memtest at least 8 passes. :)

Thanks for the answers! I will post back when I get the new RAM.

I got the new RAM just some few hours ago and till now all 0k.
I will run a memtest all night to see if everything is fine.

I read on memtest's site that a PC should run it with 0 errors even for days so I hope this RAM is fine.

Back