• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

buck naked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

It cost me a lot of "bucks." Going naked that is.

Tried it a couple of days ago and killed both my cherry 4790k and the mobo. Bent pins in the socket and could not get them straightened out. Not sure if the bent pins fried the cpu or if somenthing else happened to the CPU (no physical damage to the eye). But I tried the CPU in another compatible board and it exhibited the same restart looping over and over cycle with no boot, no post. Four quick bios beeps. Tried adjusting the tension on the mount up and down but no love.

And this attempt was made with the certified EK Supremacy Evo precision mount "naked" kit, their water block. Had all the right stuff.

Now I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I knew the risks. I've come to the conclusion that the socket just needs the lid to distribute pressure correctly. And with the retention clip removed it's so easy for the CPU to slide in the socket as you'r mounting the block.

So now I'm down to an i3 Skylake which, truth be told, is quite adequate for the kind of computing I do. It runs real cool with a 3x120 fan water system, even with the fans turned off running IBT.

Any CPUs I own will remain covered from here on out. Oh well, education has always been costly.

Oh, yea. I need to update my Sig soon.

That's a shame man... sorry to hear that. :-/

I hope people learn from this and really think things through (as you did) before trying it. It isn't worth it to many people, even here.

Dang that's a shame trents :( I'm wondering if there are any other failed attempts with EK's Supremacy Evo precision mount?

So... Was the CPU temp limited?

No, not really. At 4.8ghz/1.24 vcore it just seemed to run hotter than it should have on a 3x120 water system. Classic case of not heeding the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Really, though, I just had to try it. Like the kid who just has to make a modification to his hot rod so it will run a little faster but then throws a piston rod.

Now I can turn my attention to skylake and make use of the nice Asus 170 Pro board I got from one of you guys, can't remember if it was ED or Atminside or exactly who.

rip.JPG

On a serious note, sorry to hear this Trents. Sometimes we should just accept good as good enough I guess.

The woes of an overclocker trying for that little bit extra.
That's a shame Trents, you had one sweet CPU there. I do know your pain

Well, damn. I'm sorry to hear that, but somewhat (OK, a LOT) relieved over what I feared when I clicked on the thread.

I wanted the title to grab interest but I decided not to include any pics for modesty sake.

sorry for your loss. i took the IHS off my 2.4c and wish i didn't at the time. was hard on my heatsink face.
bought a 2500K when ivy was already out. didn't want to worry bout temps. don't plan on upgrading again until the IHS is better mated like on the 2500K.
hope intel is forced to solder them again.

again. sorry for your loss.

I killed a few learning to delid them, my neked ivy kit works fine.
are you sure you didn't catch the cores when you delided it? that's how I killed all mine.

Now I can turn my attention to skylake and make use of the nice Asus 170 Pro board I got from one of you guys, can't remember if it was ED or Atminside or exactly who.
I wish i would be able not to remember stuff like this, a present is valuable to me and i do always remember.

In General, i do consider naked-cooling a risky Thing because of many factors, so this post is just some sort of Validation. Certainly it will lead to better temperatures in term of success but instead of this Solution i really hope Intel will go back to soldering at some point, it will give increased cooling to absolutly any CPU without any risk to an user looking for Maximum cooling. Generally i do not enjoy it how Intel was behaving in term of CPU-IHS mounting, because once i had a 990X CPU (still in use) and even with a bad cooler attached this pretty high TDP CPU was easyer to be cooled down than a newer 3570K with almost half the TDP. :-/

Last edited:
The Asus 170 motherboard was not a present. I bought it from the forum member.

I killed a few learning to delid them, my neked ivy kit works fine.
are you sure you didn't catch the cores when you delided it? that's how I killed all mine.

I delidded it about a year and a half ago and changed out the TIM, put the lid back on. It was working fine until I tried going naked earlier this week. I've delidded several CPUs and have not broken any of them in the process.

Well, got my i5-6600k in place now and overclocked since ruining my 4790k.

I didn't win the silicon lottery like I did with the 4790k. This 6600k is just an average chip but more than adequate for my needs. Runs so much cooler than the 4790k that I can turn the fans off on my radiator even while stress testing if I want to and still not come very close to the Tjmax. Core #3 is weak and I kept having to add more voltage to get it stable at 4.5 ghz.

Attachments

• Newi5.PNG
    Newi5.PNG
    85.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Back