• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget Memory / Z107A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scj6771

Registered
Looking for some inexpensive memory for the mobo listed, I currently have an 8GB stick of the Kingston HyperX FURY Black, (HX421C14FB/8) which I believe is single channel?

At any rate I do a lot of gaming but zero OC.

If you're using only one stick then it will be single channel by default. There's a good chance you will be stable in dual channel just by picking up another identical stick of the same memory you are using (like used on ebay) but to be certain you would need to pick up a dual channel kit. In the latter case, brand makes no difference, just look for a good buy. Make sure you get "low density" RAM and not high density.

Oops! Thought is was the exact stick (shakes fist at google and myself for not double checking)... see if you can find it. If not, trents has you covered... same speed/voltage/timings/capcity stick, or get 2x8GB set. :)

Oops! Thought is was the exact stick (shakes fist at google and myself for not double checking)... see if you can find it. If not, trents has you covered... same speed/voltage/timings/capcity stick, or get 2x8GB set. :)
My point of the post was “budget”, I’m moving that 8GB stick elsewhere and need a cheaper option, I originally paid 35 bucks for that memory 2 years ago, I really don’t want to pay 75 for another stick, can I get 16GB of RAM for cheaper? Or is that the going rate these days?

I don't imagine it to matter... AMD ram just means it was tested on AMD platform to work. Either or will be fine in all likelyhood.

I don't imagine it to matter... AMD ram just means it was tested on AMD platform to work. Either or will be fine in all likelyhood.

AMD uses CR 1T instead of intel 2T the memory is programmed differently that is why it's specified for AMD.

Yeah, but I bet it would work with no problems on Intel, just like any most any memory will work on AMD Ryzen at lower frequencies like that.

Looking for some inexpensive memory for the mobo listed, I currently have an 8GB stick of the Kingston HyperX FURY Black, (HX421C14FB/8) which I believe is single channel?

At any rate I do a lot of gaming but zero OC.

First, there is no Z107A so it must be a Z170A. MSI made several Z170A motherboards while Asus had Z170-A. The HyperX HX421C14FB/8 shows up on the MSI Z170A Gaming 5 motherboard Memory Support list for dual channel use. The memory specifics are: 2133 MHz, SK Hynix, 1.2v, DUAL, 8GB, qualified for one or two sticks. You can find one on ebay for $47 shipped.

if you search newegg you can find some solid 2x8gb ddr4 for less than $100. if your mb supports faster memory speeds that will open up cheaper options. theres some weird off brand stuff i would avoid tho.
heres a solid ddr4 2400 kit that should work with your chipset. thats about as cheap as youll find for a solid manufacturer.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232546

What about this set of 2x8GB? Dual channel I assume? I'm guessing I will benefit from the jump to 16GB regardless of the timings correct? I believe these are "slower" than my current Kingston HyperX?

Or even this?

Last edited:
What about this set of 2x8GB? Dual channel I assume? I'm guessing I will benefit from the jump to 16GB regardless of the timings correct? I believe these are "slower" than my current Kingston HyperX?

Or even this?

It's DDR4 3000 so it's faster than your Kingston HyperX and it would run dual channel. I would go for the G.SKILL Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB).

If overclocking isn't going to be part of the program I would get the cheapest memory that meets the speed/timings you require. At identical speeds and timings it doesn't matter if it's Samsung B die ICs or Nanya. RAM is RAM. The only reason to pay premium prices is OC or to feel good.

Back