• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget Power User Build Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeonCancerCandy

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mXvzkL
^ This is what i've put together ^

i'm building a desktop for my brother-in-law (who's in his 40's but is starting computer courses, i think networking?) and he doesn't have his own desktop (he's been using my dads).
He's not a gamer, a high end graphics card isn't important.
there should be some room for upgrade-ability as this is a computer he probably won't replace for 10 years.

This is about my budget right here, about $600 for a from-scratch everything included build (kb/mouse/monitor)

basically just looking for some people to say "that sounds great!" or "this part would be better"

only looking for parts specifically from newegg because of premier 2-day free shipping.

Thanks!

You forgot to include the OS. That'll be another $99.
It's a solid build. Too bad you can't move up to a better motherboard and an FX 6300. A 600W PSU (corsair CX600) would also improve future upgradability.
Another option you have is to ditch the FX 4300 and the GPU and get an A10. One of the new 7XXX ones. Get an FM2+ mobo in the same price range.

thinking outload here but i've been considering buying a 770 and then i'd likely give him my 660ti...

think that 430w psu would be able to comfortably power a 660ti and say an i3-4150 with no overclocks?

because i'm throwing around the idea of the i3 with a gigbyte GA-B85M-DS3H + giving him my 660ti.

The PSU would be plenty for an i3/660Ti. Even an FX and 660Ti.

Would the HD 4400 on the i3-4150 not be enough for him? My dad's machine runs this and its very snappy for Windows and most video. He only does card games so no need there. A 660ti sounds like seriously overkill for his build. Would maybe sell it to recoup some upgrade costs while its still a decent card but if you don't want to go through hassle obviously better than the onboard.

10 year upgrade-ability... you could get the best cheap Z87-97 board you can find now that you could pop in a used i7 in it with an OC in 3-5 years prolly pretty cheaply and breath some serious new life into the system if the MB is still working by then. If you have to replace both its never worthwhile as reliable old used MB's for cheap is never a good idea, better to just buy new low end stuff.

Get some 1600 Gskill for same price or cheaper as that 1333 team. The only thing I see from making it a very snappy nice machine is a cheap 120gb ssd.

If you want to give him your 660Ti, get an FX6300, not an i3, and a motherboard with at least 6 power phases and a VRM heatsink. I'd feel more comfortable with a 500 or 600 watt psu. The further away from the "wall" you run a PSU the less stress you put it under. The higher the efficiency will be and the longer the PSU will last (in theory). Obviously if you buy an APU you can throw this out the window as those don't draw a lot of power and your whole system would be under 250W.

If you get the Fx 6300 you should pick up a Gigabyte 970A ud3p. That's a solid board and will (just) handle an 8350.

If you want to give him your 660Ti, get an FX6300, not an i3, and a motherboard with at least 6 power phases and a VRM heatsink. I'd feel more comfortable with a 500 or 600 watt psu. The further away from the "wall" you run a PSU the less stress you put it under. The higher the efficiency will be and the longer the PSU will last (in theory). Obviously if you buy an APU you can throw this out the window as those don't draw a lot of power and your whole system would be under 250W.

If you buy an FX-6300 it's going to pull the same amount of power as a top-tier APU.
So the whole system (without OC) would still be in the 250W range, making it plenty safe for the 430W PSU.

:cool:

If you buy an FX-6300 it's going to pull the same amount of power as a top-tier APU.
So the whole system (without OC) would still be in the 250W range, making it plenty safe for the 430W PSU.

:cool:

Ya but the FX6300 system includes the 660Ti. It'll still run on 430W in all likelihood I just like having a higher PSU capacity to prolong lifespan.

Ya but the FX6300 system includes the 660Ti. It'll still run on 430W in all likelihood I just like having a higher PSU capacity to prolong lifespan.

Go ahead and do the TDP calculations, please.
I'll await your return at <300W, which puts it in the peak efficiency range for a 430W PSU.

so his system = $600.79 + free 660ti

think he'll be happy and a really decent price for the performance.

btw, 660ti overkill? hell yeah. but i want a 770 (ordering at the same time) and he's family so why not.

so his system = $600.79 + free 660ti

think he'll be happy and a really decent price for the performance.

btw, 660ti overkill? hell yeah. but i want a 770 (ordering at the same time) and he's family so why not.

Yeah, that's a killer price!

Look at the EVGA ACX version of the 770, it's the best heatsink on the market IMO.

fx? keeping it 10 years? is this really a good idea guys?
I would think an apu or an i3 would be a better idea.

Back