• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget Power User Build Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
from what Ive seen in benches and heard and read from others i might save for a while.
last month in the overclocktagon i was a little closer to the lowset 780 with my sli 760's than would make me comfy.

I'm with atminside on that. the 780 will take you a bit further down the road than a 770 will.

Given the 1 year warranty on the 780 (refurb) I don't think it's a bad buy. If it's going to fail it'll fail in that first year. Especially if you push it regularly.EVGA's RMA and customer support have high reputations.

Update!!!

He decided to spend more money. He wanted a better case, water cooling, and a better power supply.

This is what we settled on:

Case: Rosewill PATRIOT ATX Mid Tower
CPU: AMD FX-6300
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3P
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Seidon 120V AIO
Ram: 8GB 1600 DDR3 9-9-9-24 T2 Corsair Vengence
GPU: EVGA 2GB 660ti Superclocked
PSU: EVGA 500B 500w
Storage: WD Black 500GB HDD
Disk Drive: LG DVD-RW+
Other: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe Wireless PCIe card
Monitor: 21.5" Acer LED V226HQLAbd
Keyboard: Orange Ergonomic
Mouse: HP Laser
Speakers: Cyber Acoustics CA-2016wb

Free Items Include:
Ram, GPU, Mouse, OS

Total Money Spent on him:
$619.89 Shipped

Other:
$439.99 Spent on Reman. EVGA 780 3GB FTW

Total price Spent by him:
$1058.89

Total price spent by me:
$0.00

I bulid him the PC, give him my left over mouse, 8gb of my ram, and my old 660ti.
I get a free 780

Last edited:
Both of you got a great deal there!
Hope he enjoys it :)

I already know you'll enjoy your 780 :p

yeah i've been really annoyed with the performance of the 660ti lately. it was pretty decent when i first got it like a year and a half ago, but it can't run most games on max settings anymore. i mean duh, it's older mid-range, but still annoying. It didn't like Sniper Elite 2 on max very well. averaging 30-40 fps with some slower hiccups thrown in.

yeah i've been really annoyed with the performance of the 660ti lately. it was pretty decent when i first got it like a year and a half ago, but it can't run most games on max settings anymore. i mean duh, it's older mid-range, but still annoying. It didn't like Sniper Elite 2 on max very well. averaging 30-40 fps with some slower hiccups thrown in.

Heh, you won't have a problem maxing games out now :D
I'm very happy with my 780 for 5760x1080. Running it for 1920x1080 is smooth as silk!

you mean my person HDD? the wd green doesn't matter, it's my back up drive, anything i need to be fast goes on the SSD.

if you mean his computer (and you meant WB blue) it also doesn't matter, he wants to upgrade to a SSD eventually. and it was cheap. important.
i don't see how it would be slower though it's a 7200 rpm 6.0gbs sata drive

Last edited:
If you are getting SSDs I would like to suggest the Corsair Neutron line. I've had a very good experience with them.

Back