• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build List

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathscreton

Registered
Alright, so I had been discussing my future build with a few people (namely Mandrake) on another thread. We agreed it'd be a good idea to post my items that I was interested in purchasing before actually buying anything to help avoid issues like the Kingston fiasco and buying something that wouldn't be upgradable later on (The Asrock Killer Fatal1ty).

In any case, I'm going to list what items I have as of right now, plus the list I have saved on Newegg for later purchasing. Here we go!

Three Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120mm Case Fan
Thinking about getting two F12's to probably replace the SP120's on the H105 I have on the list as well.
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608038
-----

CORSAIR Hydro Series H105 Extreme Performance 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181060
-----

(x2)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

I think I'm gonna get just one to start off with the offset the high cost, then just purchase another one later on down the line.
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231488
-----

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz
Of course gonna get me an 8350. :3 I've heard with careful overclocking and a good cooling solution, you can pump these bad boys up to 5gigs.
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284
-----

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
I actually found an open box version on Newegg for about 35-40 bucks cheaper than the retail version. I'd like to get the open box one, but if you guys think I should just save the 50 and get the retail, then I will.
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877R
-----

DIYPC Adventurer-9601R Black/Red Steel Gaming
This is a simple Mid-Full sized tower with 5 fan slots all come preinstalled but I think I'm going to end up replacing them with Noc fans anyways. It also comes with a dual 120 slot uptop for the radiator I'm getting.

------------------------------------>>

Those are the things I'm planning to get, here's what I already have:

------------------------------------>>

Kingston SSDNow V300 Series
Unfortunately, buying this SSD was a mistake. I've already ranted about it in a seperate thread, but this is what I have as a boot drive.
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107
-----

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM
For storage, I have a Barracuda TB drive. Eventually, I want to switch to either a Raptor, or a WD Black, but this'll do for now. It serves my purposes.
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840
-----

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V
This here be mah PSU. It's done me well so far and has powered everything in my ancient build just fine.
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035
-----

ASUS DirectCU II R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 Radeon R9 270X 2GB
My graphics card which is pretty decent. I haven't been able to push it to it's fullest extent yet due to multiple factors, a few being the CPU bottleneck I have at the moment (Q6600), and cooling since the case only has two intakes and one exhaust.
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121802R
-----

And that's it. My current build isn't all that important since it doesn't matter. I'm not keeping anything besides what I listed above. So CRITICISM! Let me have it! :D

And thanks in advance.

i would not suggest getting the open box mobo, just put out the extra 40$ or so.
id suggest getting the memory in a single kit rather then waiting to purchase another one, theyre tested together so id suggest keeeping them together.
can you post a link to the other thread that youve mentioned? idk personally about this kingston problem so id just like to read what you guys talked about both for you and out of my own curiosity.
lastly you can get that 8350 up to 5 if you got a good cooling system but dont bank on that for sustainability. remember silicon is like playing the lotttery, not everything will be a winnner even with a chip like that. aside i do think its a very good cpu i just dont want you to be dissappointed later on if it doesnt do what you expected.
how long have you had that hdd? id set up a backup on it or just replace it sooner then you may be planning.
otherwise your system looks very good.

I like the build, except the Psu. Your ancient build is not the Fx 8350, they are pretty demanding chips and I wouldn't trust using that Raidmax on it. The Raidmax is not known for quality units and if it did fail could take your nice shiny new build with it. Do yourself a favor and buy a quality 500w Psu or 650W if you're planning on overclocking.

I would also not buy a single stick of ram get a 2*4g kit for gaming you're not going to need more then that.

It's also doubtful you'll ever run it at 5.0 even on a full custom loop, on the corsair with a good chip maybe 4.7 Ghz.

Last edited:
I like the build, except the Psu. Your ancient build is not the Fx 8350, they are pretty demanding chips and I wouldn't trust using that Raidmax on it. The Raidmax is not known for quality units and if it did fail could take your nice shiny new build with it. Do yourself a favor and buy a quality 500w Psu or 650W if you're planning on overclocking.

yeah i second this.

The sabertooth is the better board, but how is it "upgradeable" over the fatl1ty?

I was told earlier that the Fatal1ty is not compatible with the 9X series of the FX line, therefore, would have a hard time clocking an 8350 past 4.5 if I decided to do so.

I would also not buy a single stick of ram get a 2*4g kit for gaming you're not going to need more then that.

It's also doubtful you'll ever run it at 5.0 even on a full custom loop, on the corsair with a good chip maybe 4.7 Ghz.

That's fine. I'll push what I can with the corsair and get as high as humanly possible. Also, why do people not enjoy single kits? What's the 2x4 kits have over single sticks?

As for the Raidmax, it's brand new. Not a month old to be honest. But if you believe I should get something more reliable, I'll look into it no problem.

i would not suggest getting the open box mobo, just put out the extra 40$ or so.
id suggest getting the memory in a single kit rather then waiting to purchase another one, theyre tested together so id suggest keeeping them together.
can you post a link to the other thread that youve mentioned? idk personally about this kingston problem so id just like to read what you guys talked about both for you and out of my own curiosity.
lastly you can get that 8350 up to 5 if you got a good cooling system but dont bank on that for sustainability. remember silicon is like playing the lotttery, not everything will be a winnner even with a chip like that. aside i do think its a very good cpu i just dont want you to be dissappointed later on if it doesnt do what you expected.
how long have you had that hdd? id set up a backup on it or just replace it sooner then you may be planning.
otherwise your system looks very good.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747937

That's the thread there. The whole thing was my fault for not researching, but I still think it was a ****ty move that Kingston pulled. I shouldn't have to worry about whether or not I'm getting a certain revision of a product as long as it performs as it's supposed to.

The HDD is brand new. Not a month or so old. No problems with it. And I know about CPU differences. Each can clock differently from one another. Some can go as high as the sky, while others may not even be able to leave the ground. That much I understand. I just said 5 gigs because I've seen it done before. With tons of voltage and a free heater of course.

Why are you building a system with an 8 core when there are no games using more than 4 cores on the market? An Intel i5 with 4 more powerful cores vs 8 less powerful cores is the best choice for gaming right now.

I suggest you get a 4690K with an ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 motherboard. Pick up a CM Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler. No need for a 240mm cooler unless you want to squeeze that extra couple hundred Mhz out of the chip. It'll give you no gains in gaming with the Intel chip. Not today, anyways.

All your other parts can stay the same although a 280X would haul a lot more than a 270X, if you can budget it.

HTH

raidmaxes in general are fairly unreliable. you have some high quality parts going into this, and ive seen people's systems die entirely because of a cheesey psu.
As for the hdd, when you said you already had it i assumed that it was a pull off of your old system so i retract that.
as for the cpu, i try not to sway people in their decision because im a little biased towards intel, but i do agree with the ocnoob. (about the cpu. ik you already have the video card.)

Why are you building a system with an 8 core when there are no games using more than 4 cores on the market? An Intel i5 with 4 more powerful cores vs 8 less powerful cores is the best choice for gaming right now.

I suggest you get a 4690K with an ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 motherboard. Pick up a CM Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler. No need for a 240mm cooler unless you want to squeeze that extra couple hundred Mhz out of the chip. It'll give you no gains in gaming with the Intel chip. Not today, anyways.

All your other parts can stay the same although a 280X would haul a lot more than a 270X, if you can budget it.

HTH

raidmaxes in general are fairly unreliable. you have some high quality parts going into this, and ive seen people's systems die entirely because of a cheesey psu.
As for the hdd, when you said you already had it i assumed that it was a pull off of your old system so i retract that.
as for the cpu, i try not to sway people in their decision because im a little biased towards intel, but i do agree with the ocnoob. (about the cpu. ik you already have the video card.)

I don't do Intel. I prefer AMD for many other reasons. And CPU's aren't based on just gaming. I might be doing video editing, or photo rendering (though I'm more of a video person myself), or I may stream, or I enjoy having the headway for future compatibility with other programs or games. I also enjoy being able to multitask without having to worry about anything. It's not overkill, at least I don't see it that way. Besides, plenty of people go with AMD eight cores. They're affordable, and they perform nicely. Also, I fail to see how the I5 has 4 more powerful cores than an AMD's 8 core design. I can only assume you're not talking in terms of clocks since both can either be higher or lower than one another on either side. So there's that. As for the gaming side of it, People said the same thing about quad cores in the past, why should I not prepare for the future by getting an eight core? As for the watercooler, I plan on overclocking, so I needed a firm and reliable cooling solution. Nothing wrong with that right?

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot about the PSU, I'll be sure to check out other solutions. If anyone has any ideas or recommendations, feel free to leave them here and I'll give them a looksee.

I was told earlier that the Fatal1ty is not compatible with the 9X series of the FX line, therefore, would have a hard time clocking an 8350 past 4.5 if I decided to do so.

You were informed wrongly then. Very stout board. Edit: these are on an 8320, not an 8350. With binning conspiracies running amok, I'd say it would handle an 8350 even better.

tempss_zps1ca37372.png

20140628_173921_zpsfaee698a.jpg

As I said, the sabertooth is the better board for sure, but its not more "upgradeable" than the fatal1ty board. If they were 164$ when I Was shopping for motherboards, thats definitely what I would have gone with. Im pleased with my fatal1ty though, as are plenty of others!

Last edited:
See, they told me Professional was, but the killer variant was not. :| I need to take what I hear with a grain of salt then. I'll go look over my MB selection again, since the Killer was actually cheaper than the sabertooth.

Nobody said it wasn't compatible... At least not in this thread.

The 8350 is binned 100mhz higher. That's it. It is no easier than the 8320 to push.

See, they told me Professional was, but the killer variant was not. :| I need to take what I hear with a grain of salt then. I'll go look over my MB selection again, since the Killer was actually cheaper than the sabertooth.

Eh, I just looked at prices man, youre better off with the Sabertooth. Its 30$ more, and thats 30$ well spent.

When I was shopping for motherboards, the killer was 114$ and the sabertooth was consistently out of stock and around the 200$ mark. For HALF the cost it makes sense to go with the killer. But for 134 vs 164, for that quality of a motherboard, its kind of a no brainer honestly.

The 8350 is binned 100mhz higher. That's it. It is no easier than the 8320 to push.

The conspiracy theorists run wild on the 8320 vs 8350 vs 9000 series chipsets. Not so much here, but on other places (toms for instance), people are swearing on their mothers eternal souls the 8350's outperform the 8320's. I find my own results to be in contradiction to that, but I have seen some people that claim they can't get above 4.3ghz on their 8320's.

If it was purely that simple, then pretty much anyone who has purchased an 8350 is a complete fool for wasting their money (minus people that don't overclock of course).

Nobody said it wasn't compatible... At least not in this thread.

Actually EarthDog....

The 9590 is NOT on the Cpu support list! The Asrock 990 Fx Killer is a good board but not good enough for the 9590. The only board Asrock still makes, that they say is compatible is the 990FX Extreme9. It is doubtful it will run a Fx 9590 even at stock settings! Do yourself a favor and get a Sabertooth.

He said it wasn't compatible. Personally, I think I'm going to relook over my selection, and just go over it again myself. I appreciate the help you guys, but I think I'll stick my neck out on this one. lol

If it's not on the support list, it won't work or can't handle it. Look up the cpu support list yourself to confirm he is correct.

Bob pointed with his fingers the CHIPSET is the 9 series. That does NOT mean it supports the cpu but merely identified the CHIPSET and not the cpu compatibility.

If you want to take a chance against the advice given, that's your choice...but it either won't work out of the box or you risk frying things...especially if you overclock.

Last edited:
What list is everyone commenting about? Everyone keeps saying "list", but I don't know what that's referring to. lol

But it does say it right on the box. Hell, he's got his 8320 clocked at 5gigs with 1.5 volts running through it. I'm pretty sure that board could handle a 9x series at least at stock with no problems. I don't see a reason why it couldn't.

On a separate note, don't waste your money on a raptor drive lol. I have one, its "performance gains" are a joke compared to going SSD. In crystal mark its not much faster at all, just a colossal waste of money haha.

edit hold up haha

Read my post again death, I updated it. It DOESN'T say it off on the box I just said that....

The list we are talking about is the cpu compatibility list found on the boards website. Go look at it and see.

Edit:http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty 990FX Killer/?cat=CPU

You had edited your post, it didn't say that initially. My fault. In any case, I'll check out that thread, but I'm definitely gonna do some more research before hand before I do anymore purchasing. Thanks for the info.

Heres the dichotomy of this earthdog, something Im not totally understanding.

The 9370 is an overclocked 8350. The 8350 is an overclocked 8320. By its very nature, the 8320 overclocked to 4.4ghz should be the same as a 9370 then right? So how is it not "compatible"? This is an honest question right now, not being snarky or sarcastic. I really don't understand the differences.

As it stands, the guy wants an 8350 and sabertooth, which is a fine combination. If our logic stands, he should save some money and get the 8320 and overclock the **** out of it with some good cooling.

Back