• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build-Log] MY FIRST EK WATER BUILD CORSAIR AIR 540

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys so here it is almost finished and looking pretty good. Performance are amazing under cutom water cooling i think I started something I can no longer go back to air. :rofl:

THE HARDWARE

THE CASE: Carbide Series® Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case White Edition High Air Flow ATX Cube.
THE MOTHERBOARD: EVGA X99 Micro microATX
THE PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7‑5820K 3.3 GHz LGA 2011‑v3
THE GRAPHIC CARD: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti CLASSIFIED
THE MEMORY: Vengeance® LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
HARD DRIVES: Seagate 3TB
SOLID STATE1: PNY 240GB SSD CS2111-XLR8
SOLID STATE2: Crucial 240GB M500
POWER SUPPLY: EVGA SuperNova 1000G2
THE AUDIO: CreativeLab Sound Blaster Zx

THE WATER COOLING PARTS
PUMP: EK-XTOP Revo D5 PWM
CPU BLOCK: EK-Supermacy EVO
RESERVOIR: EK-RES X3 150
RADIATORS: 2x Magicool 240 Slim G2 Radiator MC-RAD240G2
GPU BLOCK: EK GTX 780Ti Classified Water Block (GTX-980Ti)
VALVE: 1x EK-AF Ball Valve (10mm) G1/4 Nickel
ROTARY: EK-AF Extender Rotary
FITTINGS: 16x EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm Nickel
FANS: 4x Cosair SP120 PWM AIR Series High Performance Edition
PSU PLUG: EK-ATX Bridging Plug (24 Pin)
TUBING: 14ft of Primochill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing - 3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD - Crystal Clear
COOLANT: 2x Mayhems Pastel Red Pre-Mix V2, 1x Mayhems Pastel Ice White Concentrated

[GOOGLE DRIVE SHARE] Actual Photos of the build.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByY7HYYs_-1deGlQMjVrVkcxVjQ&usp=sharing

The Stuff.jpeg

1.jpeg

IMG_20160217_212655727.jpg

IMG_20160217_214713440.jpg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

8.jpeg

9.jpeg

4.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

10.jpg

11.jpg

IMG_20160229_195355731.jpg

**UPDATES**

2-16-2016 - Final piece got in today which is the GPU and EK Block to start the project.
2-18-2016 - Ran into some issues, 1. I rean out of tubing only had about 4ft that came with my stuff and looks like i could had use a bit more to finish up the loop. also other issues routing the lines and figuring out were all my drives are going to go into. Personally if I can't have my big drives along with my other SSDs this project will have to be canceled. Until I get a bigger case I would have to put all of this on hold.
2-22-2016 - Purchase more tubing so I can restart the project over again once I get the tubing in. thumb.gif I am also looking to see were I can to place my drives. biggrin.gif
2-27-16 - Got the loop all set and running a flush with PrimoChill Sys-Prep for 12 hours.
2-28-2016 - Sys-Prep ran for about 14 hours, drain and notice I need to get a valve on the lower end of the loop but need a T fitting that I will order to make this happen. 75% drained refileld with distilled water to re-run the system back again until the PrimoChill Fluid gets here on Monday.
2-29-2016 - Order from EK 3 parts to help with the drain valve modification.
*EK-CSQ Plug G1/4 (for EK-Badge) - Nickel
*EK-AF Extender Rotary M-M G1/4 - Nickel
*EK-AF T-Splitter 3F G1/4 - Nickel

Last edited:
I order 3 parts from EK to setup up a drain valve this upcoming weekend. Then I will be set with it but for now it seems to be running fine with distilled water.

OH!!! now I'm TICKED!!!!!!!!
yours looks better than mine!!!!!!!!
getting the pump raised to the right height is a pain in these.

OH!!! now I'm TICKED!!!!!!!!
yours looks better than mine!!!!!!!!
getting the pump raised to the right height is a pain in these.

Thanks caddi, It was a bit challenging to get that pump set but I manage to set it up. I wanted to put the drain valve on the side were the pump is but that will not work due to space limitation. Adding more pictures to the main post. By the way the picture with the res and pump I did cut that tube a bit more. i wanted to have an easier flow versus the pump needing to pull that water.

Nice work IT looks tight bro :thup:

Possibly take the FP audio cable under the board so bottom screw in the middle holds it up only coming out right underneath the connection

Nice work IT looks tight bro :thup:

Possibly take the FP audio cable under the board so bottom screw in the middle holds it up only coming out right underneath the connection

Oh yea I was looking at that too, good idea. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture playing battlefield 4 for a while and the temps were pretty amazing. Room temperature was 70F.

BF4-Test-980TiC-WC.jpg

Last edited:
need bigger pic , I am old :(

I go as Witchee in bf4, see you in the funny papers

time to update the sig

Subscribed!

Parts list (or did I miss that?)

Hi there sorry I forgot to add that to the main page but is there now. Updating it from work so taking a bit longer, can only do this while I am running test query codes. XD

- - - Updated - - -

need bigger pic , I am old :(

I go as Witchee in bf4, see you in the funny papers

time to update the sig

Oh sorry bud, i will add the bigger versions soon, doing this from work. XD I can do it much easier and faster from home. I can work on that tonight. =)

Last edited:
So I ran my first Heaven Benchmark test on the system to see how it does temp wise and this is what I recorded.

During the test today ambient room temp 70F and ran first run of Heaven after the system was on for a while. Here were the temps after the first pass of the test.

During Test of Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0
CPU: Intel 5820k OC to 4.5Ghz @ 1.267v @ Bios, but (Actual Reading During Testing Was) 4.2Ghz @ 1.209v
GPU: stock setting on bmod bios LN2
CPU Temp @ 40C
GPU Temp @ 33C

System at idle after test
CPU Temp @ 34C
GPU Temp @ 24C

During Test on Valley Benchmark 1.0
CPU: Intel 5820k OC to 4.5Ghz @ 1.267v @ Bios, but (Actual Reading During Testing Was) 4.2Ghz @ 1.209v
GPU: stock setting on bmod bios LN2
CPU Temp @ 45C
GPU Temp @ 30C

System at idle after test
CPU Temp @ 34C
GPU Temp @ 24C

Last edited:
Hey Witchdoctor, I added a modified picture size for you to see the temps. Click on it to expand it and see.

Okay guys, here is the setup now with the drain tube all set. I also decided to stick with PrimoChill ICE Water for my cooling is clear and would be easy to work with. I kind of like the clear look not to much red but still enough to keep me happy with the black and red theme plus silver around. :D

Drain_Setup_2.jpg

Drain_valve_Setup.jpg

Drain_Setup_With_Case_Cover.jpg

That looks awesome ITAngel. I love the drain port. I might implement something like that in my next build.

My only suggestion would be to make a HDD cover plate to hide the hideous HDD sticker.

Well done sir.

That looks awesome ITAngel. I love the drain port. I might implement something like that in my next build.

My only suggestion would be to make a HDD cover plate to hide the hideous HDD sticker.

Well done sir.

Thanks Sir, this entire setup is now going over a whole new upgrade build on the water cooling and case setup. Will start a new log with it, using the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M. A budget case so we will see what I can do with it.

nice I have the same case. I love how well its setup for watercooling but still small. best thing they did was put psu and ssd drives behind the motherboard there should be more cases like theese

Back