• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[BUILD LOG] NASgul NAS Media Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Appreciate it Cuda. I wish I could see it more. It's tucked away running 24/7 now.

Update!

NASgul had her first error Sunday night just before bedtime. The RAID controller alarm went off with this ear piercing tone that sounded like a smoke detector. Since I didn't have time to trouble shoot I just did a full system shut down. Monday after work I delved into it and discovered the Drive1 had errored and needed to rebuild. I'm still not sure what caused the error but I'm guessing it was just a bad sector. Going to do a full diagnostic tonight when I get home as the rebuild should be complete. I was very,very, VERY, relived to find out that all my data was still there. Monday was a highly stressful day not knowing if all was lost or not.

why a 955 quad core? For a home storage box a dual core can be overkill, I know being a registered rodeo clown requires overkill on everything, and my storage box is a good example, but a little A6 dual core would do the job just fine.

Yeah, I was looking at the Odroid XU4 (pi killer) $62 from Ameridroid
CPU Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex™-A15 2Ghz and Cortex™-A7 Octa core CPUs
Storage eMMC5.0 HS400 and/orMicro SD
GPU Mali-T628 MP6
x2 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0, 1 Gigabit Ethernet,
Size ~ 3x2x1 in. incl fan
2Gb LPDDR3 RAM PoP stacked
Power 5V/4A
x1 HDMI 1.4a port
View attachment 197233
for about the same price a case (literally snaps together with one final screw on the back for assembly!)
View attachment 197234
with a small 7" TS, rear fan comes with the cloudshell2 casel btw, ssd, wifi, gps, etc a little extra.
Just add storage and emmc chip for actual os.
Nasgul is a beaut.

Last edited:
Re-UPDATE

So everything is fine with NASgul. Still not 100% sure what caused the alarm to go off but the array successfully rebuild so I'll have to assume it was a sector error or something to that effect. She's up and running at full strength again.

That's a pretty sweet little box there Habba Jabba. I will say I'm glad I went with the rig that I did as I do tend to do some minor web surfing and such for downloading minor software tools etc. (i.e. crystaldiskmark).

Back