• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Log] - Phantom Skies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearingMass

Hey ladies and gentleman, and welcome to my first build log!

Please enjoy as I build a water-cooled, pure-gaming rig in a full-tower Phantom 630 body.

As this is my second build, and my first custom water-cooled build, I welcome any & all constructive reminders/tips, especially concerning the water-cooled aspects of the build.

For a quick peek at what will be in the build, please skip down to my signature, or continue scrolling down for some initial pictures!

Everything has now arrived, and I'm ready to put the PSU, MB, CPU and RAM together outside the case to quickly test for lemons, and then move on to the actual build!

- Below is a gallery of initial parts pictures as they came -

All the parts as they arrived:
All Parts On Fireplace.jpg

Case Box - Phantom 630:
Case Box.jpg

Open Case, HDD bays and bottom insert will be taken out. SSD will be mounted behind the MB.
Case Bare.jpg

SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 500GB
840 EVO 500 SSD.jpg

CPU - 4790K hyper-threaded quad-core
4790K CPU.jpg

DVD Drive - For Windows install & old CD games (Freelancer here I come)
Asus DVD Drive.jpg

RAM - G.Skill Sniper 16GB 1866Mhz
G.Skill Sniper RAM.jpg

GPU - GTX780 Ti Classified Hydro Copper (Super excited to OC this)
GTX780Ti.jpg

MB - ASRock Z97 OC Formula (Overkill & I love it - beautiful board)
Z97 OC Formula MB.jpg

PSU - EVGA Supernova G2 850W Gold (Solid Superflower unit - Plenty of room to OC everything)
Supernova 850 G2.jpg

TIM - Prolimatech PK-3
Prolimantech PK-3.jpg

OS - Windows 8.1 64-bit (Call me crazy, but I prefer 8.1 for a gaming rig)
Windows 8.1.jpg

Keyboard - Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red switches
K70 Keyboard.jpg

Noctua Fans
Left to right: 140mm 1500rpm Redux, 120mm 1200rpm Redux, 120mm 2000rpm Industrial
Rear exhaust, front intake, top/bottom radiator fans, respectively
Fans Closed Top.jpg
Fans Closed Side.jpg
Fans Open.jpg

Water Cooling Parts - AX360 & AX240 Rads, Apogee HD CPU block, MCP50X pump/res combo, PrimoFlex Adv. LRT Tubing, Swiftech QDC's & many various fittings
Water Cooling Parts.jpg
Rad Tube Block in Box.jpg

Planned Loop Order:
Pump/res -> CPU -> top 360 rad -> GPU -> bottom 240 rad -> pump/res combo

More to follow tomorrow as I begin the build!!

Got the test posting set up.

Everything turned on, would not display post, but the error code was a "problem" with the IDE/SATA drives, which were not plugged in.
So I'm taking that to mean that everything is fine, and it just wants a SATA drive.
I think I'll plug in my SSD real quick just to make sure it posts.

Test Post.jpg

(Intel Stock coolers are gross)
Test Post Closeup.jpg

Ok so I plugged my SSD and the MB error code went away. There is no error code showing, but it still hasn't posted.

The only indication of a "problem" is this small light next to the power bottom labeled "VGA" (pic below).

I'm guessing it wants a GPU plugged in? The only reason I haven't put the GPU in is because it comes pre-installed with a water block, so there's no way of cooling it as-is, and I don't know if the block provides enough passive cooling to do a test post (that may be a stupid assumption, but it's an expensive card, so I'm cautious).

I'm not sure why is doesn't just use the intel integrated graphics on the CPU.

Any thoughts?
Should I move on with the build, or plug in the GPU and just quickly test to see if it posts to the bios?

Test Post VGA Light.jpg

Alright, well progress has been disappointingly slow today, but it's coming along. Although I didn't achieve a post, I'm confident enough that everything's fine and it just wanted a GPU.

I've got to install the water cooling parts, then the GPU, then the tubing, and then wire management.

Tomorrow will be leak testing, then final touches! :D

Waterblock up close and progress shot!

Apogee HD Closeup.jpg
Progress1.jpg

You could always hook up a partial loop with just the GPU, pump, res, one rad, and QDCs to test with.
Just an option to consider if you don't want to plumb it all up to test :thup:

I thought of that, but considering I'm isolating each piece with QDCs anyway, I figure I'll just save time and go ahead with it, and if I need to take something out, it'll be minimum hassle. In theory.

I'm hoping I'll never have to find out! (Here's to hoping expensive parts work like they're supposed to! ;))

I thought of that, but considering I'm isolating each piece with QDCs anyway, I figure I'll just save time and go ahead with it, and if I need to take something out, it'll be minimum hassle. In theory.

I'm hoping I'll never have to find out! (Here's to hoping expensive parts work like they're supposed to! ;))

Very true! Ignore my late-night crazy ideas :p

Is the radiator dance necessary for the CPU block ATM?

Just rinse it out :)

The rad dance is to get water through all the different channels in the radiator.

Good Morning!

Small sneak peak as I start the day off building!

:popcorn:

%22Popcorn%22.jpg

Loving the look of the white AX rads already. Beefy on the edges, but I found a layout to work with it.

AX240.jpg

Bought fittings for pretty much every scenario possible (read: zombies)

Fittings.jpg

Sneak peak glimpse of the crowning piece ;)

GPU SneakPeak.jpg

Back