• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Log] - Phantom Skies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Update: Prime95 Blend Results

The following screenshot is after 20 minutes of Prime95 Blend at 4.4Ghz - 1.200V
Ambient: 24C

P95 Blend 4.4z - 1.200V - 20m.png

Well, you have a delidding candidate right there... If you want to that is.

Could it just be a bad TIM application, or are the temps too far gone for that scenario?
It was my first time applying TIM, and I may have not done it perfectly...

It's possible that it's TIM application.

What TIM did you use and how much?

I'm a pretty careful guy, but delidding still scares me. I really would not want to brick a $300 CPU.

Prolimatech PK-3, and a (probably too long) grain of "rice"

Go ahead and pull the CPU block (YAY FOR QDC's!!!) and take a picture of the TIM application.

Clean it all up, put a small dot in the middle, and re-mount the block.

About like this size:
500x1000px-LL-8082d9a1_cpu2.jpeg

In an ideal application that dot will push out to the edges of the IHS, but not quite to the corners.

Go ahead and pull the CPU block (YAY FOR QDC's!!!) and take a picture of the TIM application.

Clean it all up, put a small dot in the middle, and re-mount the block.

About like this size:
500x1000px-LL-8082d9a1_cpu2.jpeg

In an ideal application that dot will push out to the edges of the IHS, but not quite to the corners.

Oooohh yeah, I definitely put too much, I think that's what it was (hopefully). Mine was probably almost the length of the cpu die underneath the IHS. Oops.

I had no idea such a small dot would suffice. I bet I have way too thick of a TIM layer.

Yes, yay for QDC's!! I'll try and do that tomorrow if I have the time. Thanks (as usual) for the advice :thup:

Oooohh yeah, I definitely put too much, I think that's what it was (hopefully). Mine was probably almost the length of the cpu die underneath the IHS. Oops.

I had no idea such a small dot would suffice. I bet I have way too thick of a TIM layer.

Yes, yay for QDC's!! I'll try and do that tomorrow if I have the time. Thanks (as usual) for the advice :thup:

Yeah, too much TIM will actually hinder the conduction of heat compared to a good application.

It doesn't actually have to cover the full IHS.
The pressure from the block (tighten in a star pattern) will spread the TIM evenly and thinly.

(I would do a mini leak test after popping everything back together, just to make sure you didn't jar anything pulling the QDCs out)

For the record, what should the blend temps look like with this kind of cooling and clock/volt settings?

Take a look through this thread, there's a lot of results posted (look for rge in specific) with custom loops.
All P95 testing, various speeds/clocks, pre/post delid.

Take a look through this thread, there's a lot of results posted (look for rge in specific) with custom loops.
All P95 testing, various speeds/clocks, pre/post delid.

Yeah, I'm still reading through the whole thing, but I just ran 20 minutes of Large ffts for comparison, and had max temps of 78-85C.

I'm almost positive it's just a bad TIM application. Once that's shored up, then I'll be able to see how well of a chip I actually got.

Ok so potential problem here.
Looked closer at the res again today and found the water to be murky - not good.

I initially put 3-4 drops of PTN in it as well as a silver coil, so I have no idea how/if something is growing in my loop and whether or not I need to start replacing the water.

Pics below - advice welcome.

Close Res1.jpg

Close Res2.jpg

Distant Res Angle.jpg

Distant Res Front.jpg

Edit: Do you think I could just syphon out the water and replace it with new distilled and re-add the PTN, or could gunk have already started to grow in the blocks, and if so, how is that even possible after two weeks with two types of biocide…

Last edited:
Yeah, too much TIM will actually hinder the conduction of heat compared to a good application.

It doesn't actually have to cover the full IHS.
The pressure from the block (tighten in a star pattern) will spread the TIM evenly and thinly.

Definitely put way too much on. Haha

Block TIM.jpg CPU TIM.jpg

Back