• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Log] - Phantom Skies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How long is considered a "rest assured" leak test? I could either do 7 hours, or I could let it go overnight until I get up tomorrow, so like 18 hours.

I want to be able to put this away and be confident that it won't be leaking when I'm not looking.

Any thoughts?

Big Update: She's all finished And. She. Purrs.

Initial gaming load temps look fantastic. Had Rage maxed out and with a 28C ambient, was having 53C max CPU temps, and 35C GPU temp with rad fans at 1000RPM. LOL :D

Will update with pics of it all soon, and will have a few questions about a couple voltages just to tie up any loose ends I may have.

Then it will be case lighting and panel painting within the next 2-3 weeks :thup:

P.S. Oh yes, and she passed a 19-hr leak test, which I'm thankful for after those initial fitting leaks.

Final Build Pics Part 1!
With Q's! :p

So below are final build pics.
It's 'part 1' because case lighting and panel design addition will be parts 2&3 (hopefully) within the next week or two.

Following that are several screenshots of HWiNFO after a moderate gaming load, with some questions about voltages and OCing, because I'd like to make sure everything is running smoothly and optimally :D

Enjoy! :thup:

Getting ready to be sealed shut:
WindowsLogin.jpg

Three shots of the open final build:
OpenFar.jpg
OpenClose.jpg
OpenAngle.jpg

Cable "management" - it looks like I gave zero ****s, but I actually spend like 2 hours making sure everything would tuck away smoothly when the back panel was replaced (and it does!).
CableManagement.jpg

Computer as it sits next to my desk (it's a monster):
GroundUnlit.jpg
GroundLit.jpg
GroundPanelLit.jpg

Monitor/Speaker set up - for the record, that smaller second monitor isn't used for this computer at the time:
Desktop.jpg

Ok now for the Screenshots after a moderate gaming load.
Note the columns are current/min/max/average.

Have a look at the screens and note the questions below them:

Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (3).png

Vcore is about 1.220V under 4.4 stock turbo load. That seems a little higher than necessary to me. Thoughts? I think it's on auto, I should probably set it strictly to adaptive, but I'm not 100% clear on how adaptive works and how to set that.
On a related note: When OCing in the Bios, and you're adjusting the clock speeds, are you setting what speed the processor will top out at under turbo, or are you setting the max base clock, and it'll turbo past that?
Or do you disable Turbo and then you're setting the max base clock with no Turbo? I've never been clear on that….

The max core clock is messed up, obviously, I'm not running at 1,000,000 GHz or whatever it's saying. Should I chalk that up to an HWiNFO error or are there errors with my sensors? This happens on a couple other measurements as you'll see me point out.
I'm running the latest non-beta version of HWiNFO, but perhaps I should update to the Beta seeing as how new the Devil's Canyon chips are.

Speaking of errors, you'll notice HW reporting a 12V line reading of 22.xxx Volts, which I'm pretty sure is an error or everything would have died in a fire by now. The Bios reads the 12V line to be at ~12.249, but that's at idle. I'm also pretty sure 12.249V is within an acceptable range of deviation, but I'd expected better after reading the JonnyGuru review on it.

Now I don't see Vin on HW, although it might be called something slightly different, but the bios shows a Vin of 1.7xx Volts, which I believe is roughly the norm - is that true or is that a problem?

SSD temps maxed at 43C under gaming load - is that about normal?
The ambient was ~28C at the time.

GPU at 1.112V max on stock classified settings - sound about right?
Also if you look at the GPU temp/voltage section, you'll notice some crazyyyyy readings - 914C max temp, an average of 92,000V, etc….I'm chalking this up to HWiNFO error?? :confused:

I'd switch to HWMonitor, personally. Much simpler, typically more accurate.

Manually set 1.2V for vCore and 4.4GHz in the BIOS, test with Prime95 for ~15 minutes and post those temps.

Temps look about right for the CPU and GPU though.

I'd switch to HWMonitor, personally. Much simpler, typically more accurate.

Manually set 1.2V for vCore and 4.4GHz in the BIOS, test with Prime95 for ~15 minutes and post those temps.

Temps look about right for the CPU and GPU though.

Ah, didn't know that one existed, will do.

Will that keep it at 1.2V 24/7? Is there an adaptive way to do that so it's not at 1.2V when it dips to 0.8Ghz, or should I just stop talking? Lol :shrug:

Will do, though. Prime95 small fft's or blend?
Also, Prime95 28.5 64-bit?

I've always just locked freq/vCore.

You'll have to test the frequency and voltage settings with Prime95 to see if it's stable or not.
I use blend. 15min for a quick test, 2hr for a stability test.

I've always just locked freq/vCore.

Wouldn't that shorten the life of the chip vs letting it drop down during idle, or does it only really matter when it's at a particularly high voltage constantly… :confused:

You'll have to test the frequency and voltage settings with Prime95 to see if it's stable or not.
I use blend. 15min for a quick test, 2hr for a stability test.

Good advice, thanks! Will do :thup:

It won't hurt life if you're not pushing on the hairy edge.

Prime95 Blend tests memory also :thup:

Nice build G*M, well done. Just for giggles, think about getting the case up off the carpet. Even a piece of cardboard temporarily would help, but a carriage, stand, float, anything to get you a few of inches further from the dust.

Nice build G*M, well done. Just for giggles, think about getting the case up off the carpet. Even a piece of cardboard temporarily would help, but a carriage, stand, float, anything to get you a few of inches further from the dust.

Thanks!

I will look into doing that, thanks for the advice :thup:

Thanks!

I will look into doing that, thanks for the advice :thup:

Look at using black foam board. I used two layers of that taped together for a while at my other place.
It looks a bit better, and is stronger than most cardboard.

Look at using black foam board. I used two layers of that taped together for a while at my other place.
It looks a bit better, and is stronger than most cardboard.

Did you just do the feet or the entire surface under the computer?

Back