• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Build Log] - Phantom Skies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well the tightening fixed that leak, that was user error.

Now there are two more, slower leaks. Both are out of the joints in the 45/90 degree fittings - those are out of my control, so I don't really know what to do about those…

The little mid-joint in the first pic is where there's a slow leak, and the joint that allows the 45 degree to rotate in the second pic is also where there's a leak.

Double 90 Close.jpg

45 leak.jpg

Update:

I realized I wasn't super clear in my description before, the pics below show more clearly the area that was leaking.

I decided to drain sections of the loop (QDCs for the win!) and replace the connectors in question, as it wasn't a tightness issue, rather an issue with the rotation joints (factory error).
Hopefully this will resolve the leaks!

Double 90 leak edit.jpg
45 leak edit.jpg

Sometimes elbows will leak tiny drops like that if you have a lot of side-force on them

Wow, this turned out very nice, great job man ..... :thup:

Thanks!

Sometimes elbows will leak tiny drops like that if you have a lot of side-force on them

Well, these are designed for WC, and they can't expect people to make perfect runs that feed into the fittings without putting any torque on the rotation joint - that's just not realistic.

I replaced the double-90 fitting on the CPU block inlet with an extender and a small single-90. That's putting less torque on the rotation joint of the 90 fitting, so hopefully that will solve that one.
The 45 fitting out of the GPU block I simply replaced with another one. If that one still leaks, I'm just going to have to put a regular compression fitting on there and be disappointed in Swiftech - hopefully that doesn't happen.

It will eventually work. Haha I'm disappointed I have to transport it back unfinished, but that's how the dice rolled.

Will update as I go!

Well, the way rotary fittings work they have an o-ring that seals the whole way around.
If you put torque on that it can cause one side of the o-ring to unseal.
That'll happen with any rotary angle fitting if it has too much torque put on it.

ATM is right, you want to avoid pressure on the fittings from the tubing. Also, not sure if I missed it, but did you add a drain line to this system?

Looks awesome btw...

ATM is right, you want to avoid pressure on the fittings from the tubing. Also, not sure if I missed it, but did you add a drain line to this system?

I did, in a way. The bottom rad has two of the QDCs screwed in to it's ports. It's a simple as disconnecting the closest one and pushing the spring thing in to let the water out over a bucket. I've already done it once to fix those leaks.

Looks awesome btw...

Thank you!
Hopefully I can finish it tonight or tomorrow, I'm getting excited :D

It's going to look crazy once I add the LEDs in.

I was just wondering about this build earlier today.
Did you get back to school good?

Can't wait to see it all buttoned up!

I was just wondering about this build earlier today.
Did you get back to school good?

Can't wait to see it all buttoned up!

I did, thanks! It's sitting on the kitchen table waiting for a new leak test!

Barring any more trouble, it just needs to be wired up and then it's semi-done until the LEDs and case painting take place :attn:

I did, thanks! It's sitting on the kitchen table waiting for a new leak test!

Barring any more trouble, it just needs to be wired up and then it's semi-done until the LEDs and case painting take place :attn:

Heck yeah!

I ran my leak test overnight (it also helped get some bubbles out) then topped off the res and carried (read: struggled) it up the stairs :p

Heck yeah!

I ran my leak test overnight (it also helped get some bubbles out) then topped off the res and carried (read: struggled) it up the stairs :p

Yes, haha, she weighs a good bit. I'll weigh it when it's done if I think of it.

It's not going to be an easy 50ft trip.

Back