• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[BUILD LOG] - Wonko's Gaming Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wonko

I’ve been working in and around computers since the IBM PC was released (I also played around with the Commodore 64, Apple II, Apple IIe and a few others). For the last 19 years, or so, I’ve worked in networking and security. I did build whitebox computers and servers for clients for a while, but I think the last system I built was a Pentium 4.

I’ve been a gamer since Atari changed the world with Pong, but I haven’t had a decent gaming rig in at least 15 years. So, I figure I might as well go all-out. I ended up redoing all of the internal cabling with custom cables. You can see my cabling guide for more info.

Here's what I've installed so far:
Case – Corsair Obsidian 800D
PSU – SeaSonic X-1250
Mobo – Asrock Z87 Extreme6/ac
CPU – Intel Core i7-4770K
RAM – 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series (32GB total)
Video – 2 x EVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB (SLI)
SLI Bridge - EVGA Pro SLI Bridge (2-Way)
Blu Ray – LG BH16NS40 16x 3D
HDD (Mass) – 4 x Western Digital RE 2TB WD2000FYYZ (RAID5, Hot-Swappable)
SSD (OS) – Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
SSD (Games) – Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Input:
Keyboard - Razer BlackWidow
Mouse - Razer Naga Epic
Mouse Pad - Razer Destructor 2

Other I/O:
Hot-Swap HDD Bay - Syba 5.25-Inch Dual Bay Mobile Rack
Card Reader - Rosewill 74-In-1 USB 3.0 3.5-Inch Internal Card Reader
The card reader is installed in SilverStone Aluminum Front Panel 5.25-Inch to 3.5-Inch Bay Converter which matches the case perfectly.
Sound - I ordered a Creative Sound Blaster ZxR SBX, and sent it back because it didn't have an HD Audio header which surprised me. I ended up with the Creative SoundBlaster Zx, which I really love.

Displays:
- HP w2338h (This is my old monitor)
- QNix QX2710LED (Pixel Perfect)

And I haven't ordered:
Display - Two more QNix QX2710LED (Pixel Perfect) displays. These are incredible.
Speakers - Haven't decided yet.
Headset - Haven't decided yet.

Cooling:
I've purchased and installed:
Top Radiator (3x120mm) - Black Ice SR-1
Top Radiator Fans - 3 x NB-BlackSilentFan XL-2
Rear Radiator (140mm) - Black Ice GT Stealth 140
Rear Radiator Fan (140mm) - NB-BlackSilentFan XK-2
Internal Chassis Fan (140mm) - NB-BlackSilentFan XK-2
3.5" HDD Fan (140mm) - NB-BlackSilentFan XK-2
2.5" HDD Fan (120mm) - NB-BlackSilentFan XL-2

I've purchased the following, but haven't installed them yet because I'm waiting on the pump, reservoir, compression fittings and tubing:
CPU Waterblock - XSPC RayStorm CPU WaterBlock (Intel)
Video Waterblock - 2x XSPC Razor GTX with Backplate
Video SLI Bridge - XSPC Razor SLI Flow Bridge
RAM Waterblock (yeah, I know) - XSPC Memory WaterBlock

I haven't purchased the pump, reservoir, fittings or tubing:
Pump - Swiftech MCP655
Pump Top - XSPC Acetal Top.. maybe. Not sure yet.
Reservoir - FrozenQ Liquid Fusion or XSPC Photon 270 Tube Reservoir
Fittings - Haven't decided
Tubing - Haven't decided

Last edited:
Before I continue, thanks so much to Knufire, Shadow300, wingman99, sobe, Culbrelai, Earthdog, and DScience who posted on my original thread for your insight, teaching, criticism, pointers, tips, advice and for being helpful, argumentative, encouraging, frustrating, etc. LOL!!!

TEST BENCH INFO:

Since I’m going to have to buy parts as I can afford them, I figured my best bet is to put parts on my test bench and get everything running as things come in. Three major goals here:

- Make sure no parts are DOA
- Make sure everything is compatible and I have no driver issues or buggy behavior
- I really, really want to play with this stuff

Here’s what’s on my bench right now:

- Power strip
- ESD mat
- ESD wrist strap
- MYOPENPC acrylic open-air chassis
- Screwdrivers, screws, etc.
- HP w2338h LCD monitor

I plan on getting my multi-meter and some other tools from my shop in the next few days.

BUILD PREP

Before I started, I registered all of the components on the manufacturer websites, made ISOs of all of the included CDs and downloaded PDFs of all of the user manuals and other documentation. I also downloaded the most current firmware and drivers for each component.

Before handling any components, I plugged the grounding cables of my ESD wrist strap and ESD mat into the ground of two different plugs on the power strip (which is plugged into the wall).

PACKAGING

The packaging of each component was about what I expected, with a couple of exceptions.

Honestly, I was extremely disappointed when I opened the box for the motherboard:

asrockbox.jpg

Maybe I’m being too picky, but when one opens the box and it looks like everything was just thrown in there, it’s just not very impressive.

One super-nice surprise was the inclusion of PowerDVD with the LG drive.

The SeaSonic packaging blew me away. I mean, I had seen reviews here and other places, but when I opened the box… wow. I wish I had taken a picture of the box as soon as I opened it. Totally impressive:

seasonicbox.jpg

All of the cables came packaged in the black and gold case on the bottom-right of the picture. The PSU itself was in a black bag (pictured under the PSU) and all of the cables are sleeved (although I’ll end up redoing that because I want different colors).

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention these two things.

BENCH INSTALLATION

The parts I have are installed on my bench chassis as shown:

benchbuild.jpg

I've run these non-stop for two days now and there have been no problems of any kind with any component. Not too big of a deal, but it's nice to know nothing is DOA.

The Samsung SSD is supposed to be here tomorrow. I'm going to start putting things in the chassis once that happens.

Looking good! Can't wait to see what is all looks like in the chassis. That's such a beautiful graphics card... I need one :D

Thanks, Shadowman!

The graphics card is pretty wonderful. So far, I'm amazed at how much better games look. :)

I'm kind of approaching this build in "layers".

Layer 1 - Component install. Basically getting everything where it needs to be
Layer 2 - Data cable management
Layer 3 - Power cable management
Layer 4 - Fans and air cooling
Layer 5 - Water cooling
Layer 6 - Lighting

Of course, I need to figure out my water cooling layout prior to finalizing all of my cable management so I know were I can and cannot affix the pump, reservoir and tubing versus where I'm going to route my power and data cables.

SSD drive came in yesterday and I'm moving all of the components into the chassis right now. I'm not reinstalling the OS yet because I simply don't have time. I am, however, going to put the cheapo drive I have now into the chassis and run off of that for now. Plus, I want to run all the tests for the benchmark team prior to doing anything at all with any upgrades, including the SSD.

Looks like your taking a very thorough approach to this build. Props on that. With the care you are taking with your equipment I have no doubt this build will be a complete success when you finish it.

Thanks so much! I appreciate the encouragement.

Here's the initial pic of the component placement. Already found a few challenges - for example, some of the power cables aren't quite long enough to go around the back for proper cable management.

Also, the 140mm fan on the hot swap bays is DOA. Sending an RMA request to Corsair today.

cominstall.jpg

So, I've got the PSU fan, GPU fans, CPU fan and two chassis fans running... and I can't hear this machine run. Very, very in love with this so far. LOL

Check frozencpu.com

They have sleeved extensions to make everything nice and pretty :thup:

LOL... you kidding? I've spent so much time on their site, I think the entire server is cached on my hard drive.

Wonko why are you using molex>PCIE connections for your GPU? Just run the PCIE power cables direct from the power supply.
I was wondering what those molex connections were doing so close to the GPU after further inspection... :facepalm:

That's what all that mess is. Yeah, definitely use the built-in PCIe cables.

Oh my gosh, that's only one of the many issues with the hideous way the cables are. LOL. I threw all this together right before I left town yesterday morning just so I could get the parts off the test bench.

I mean, in addition to the molex power adapters for the GPU, I've got a USB cable going from the front panel to the motherboard and another going around the chassis to the I/O shield.

The WiFi antennae are not connected to the WiFi card (which is under the graphics card - a fact I conveniently noticed after putting said card in place, LOL).

The front sound panel cable is not yet connected to the motherboard and is just hanging out the side.

The fan cables are just plugged in and lying on top of everything.

There's a firewire header cable with nothing to connect to.

In short, just about every single cable in the whole thing is in the wrong place. This is my first order of business upon return next week.

Yeah... a second 780 for aesthetics. LOL

Okay, so I'm back home and I'm staring at this wiring here and visualizing what I want it to look like.

On a separate note, I sent Corsair an email asking about a replacement 140mm fan for the one that is DOA. I never heard back from them, which is really disappointing. So, I'm going to RMA the whole chassis for a new one. It's silly to do that, but it's their fault, not mine.

Also, I think I'm going to move the SSDs to the bottom two bays in the chassis and populate the four hot-swappable bays with the platter drives. I was going to mirror the SSDs, but I think I'll just stick with backing them up to VHD images.

Next step is to get rid of this rat's nest and do a lot of sleeving. Should take pretty much forever, LOL.

I bought it on Amazon. Since I'm a Prime member, I got free shipping. Since it's defective, I shouldn't have to pay return shipping or shipping for the replacement. Problem is, they're currently out of stock, so I'll have to wait.

Back