• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[BUILD LOG] - Wonko's Gaming Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, I ordered my cable sleeving, heatshrink tubing, etc. but that won't be here for a week or so, and I couldn't stand to look at this mess anymore.

cablemgmt1.jpg

Nothing I can do about that mobo power cable... grrrrr! It's just too damned short.

There is something you can do for the 8-pin. Buy an extension.

No, it exhausts out the back...

My bad, I dont know too much about the workings of a PSU but where would that gold honeycomb looking side come into play? The system previous to the one I currently used throttled badly because that side of the PSU was sitting on top of a thick carpet. (Not literally obviously but there was very poor airflow in that general area.)

The gold honeycomb is the intake, there's a fan there. Almost all modern PSUs have an active intake on one side and passive exhaust out the back. Most cases also have the area underneath the PSU vented, so you can mount the PSU upside down, and it both intakes and exhausts directly in and out of the case, making it's airflow and heat output isolated from everything else.

Yeah, the exhaust is out the back and the intake is on the bottom (in this config). Regarding buying the extension, I bought that and sleeving, etc. but it won't arrive until Monday. I figure it's not worth flipping the PSU... I can live with this for a couple of days.

Psyko - it idles at 33C and under load (just ran a quick and dirty SuperPi 1M), it spiked at 44C.

Just a few quick notes:

- I had everything installed to an old Seagate 250GB HDD I had lying around
- I just installed Win8 Pro to the 256GB SSD

Time from when I clicked "Install" until personalization: 5 minutes, 32 seconds
Boot time (from Power On until logon screen): 22 seconds, and 15 of that was BIOS

Not too bad. :)

Nice boot times with that ssd. Windows 8 also helps with that. I love my ssd :)

Last edited:
"Soon" is such a vague term... lol. I've got almost everything I need to start sleeving the cables, but I haven't received the stuff from MDPC-X.

I did get Noiseblocker fans to replace the case fans, but I haven't even installed them yet.

I hope to be able to make some good progress this weekend.

I thought the Corsair 800D came with a CPU 8 pin extension. Might want to double check to see. Maybe I am making things up but check just in case.

Minor updates:

The tools and parts from MDPC-X should be here today or tomorrow, so I'll start sleeving the cables.

I purchased a Pixel-Perfect Qnix 1440p 27" display... I can't find a single dead pixel anywhere and this thing is amazing.

I had mentioned a while back that I had opened a ticket with Corsair. I forgot to update that. I opened the first ticket and didn't receive a response for a couple of days, so I opened a second ticket to which I received a response within 24 hours. I explained that I had a dead fan and also asked about receiving a new front faceplate because mine had this tiny little nick in the top edge. Since the whole thing is black brushed aluminum, that little silver spot stood out like a neon light. I explained to them that it was very, very, very minor and I wasn't sure if it would even qualify for an RMA.

They asked for a picture of that spot, so I took a couple and attached them to the ticket.

The shipped me a new faceplate and a new 140mm fan and waived any requirement for me to return the defective parts.

I don't know what happened to that first ticket, but I'm willing to give them a mulligan on that. I ended up receiving fantastic service!

Just got my shipment in from MDPC-X... okay... it's the little things that just make life wonderful...

molextool.jpg

When I saw that it was the "Wonko Edition", I literally laughed out loud.

Hope to have some pics of spiffy sleeving soon!

Back