• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build on a budget

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
I've got an AM2 6000+ 3.0ghz windsor. I'm most likely gonna use that and want an upgrade path for the future. This build is not for me but it's on a budget.

Here are the boards I was looking at:
  • ZOTAC GF8200-A-E AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Link
  • ASRock A780GMH/128M AM2+/AM3 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Link
  • BIOSTAR TA760G M2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Link
  • ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Link
  • GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-US2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Link

Seriously considering the ones in yellow. I want to go for the Zotac b/c it's only $50 AR!!! If that's a bad choice then I was strongly thinking about the AsRock, but again the Zotac is super cheap... just want to know if it's worth a shot.

The one in blue is also up in the air... the rest are mostly out of budget but just was looking at 'em.

What do ya think? I've a feeling most of you will say the Zotac isn't worth the headache and to settle for the ASRock?

Last edited:
My green friend you have answered your own question. Seriously, I built a system for my nephew in January with the ASRock and it has been solid ever since. Even the on board video is decent for general computing.

Good luck with whatever you get! :beer:

R7

I have a Msi 8400Gs for like cheap brand new like 40$ if you want...

Wow. You're are breaking forum rules by trying to sell outside of classifieds to a forum moderator?

Please, read the rules. Consider this your only warning. PM incoming.

g0dM@n
OCForums Moderator

Zotac has come and took the budget builds by storm, They have actually engineered boards with the builder in mine (shock and aww) I would build any budget build with a zotac imho. The only negative thing that has been found is there CD disc have appear to be a flaw (IE they dont work) and there links dont like to work either

Thankfully, Nvidia and Realtek still works :D

On a budget (not your own) Hmm
The Gigabyte board would be my choice, and I would not think twice. Even on a budget, I would budget the other parts to spend the money on such a beauty. HOWEVER I would go with the 8300 just for 8 channel http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131354 I also have to add if you want EE...add the 5050e :)

Zotac has come and took the budget builds by storm, They have actually engineered boards with the builder in mine (shock and aww) I would build any budget build with a zotac imho. The only negative thing that has been found is there CD disc have appear to be a flaw (IE they dont work) and there links dont like to work either

Thankfully, Nvidia and Realtek still works :D

On a budget (not your own) Hmm
The Gigabyte board would be my choice, and I would not think twice. Even on a budget, I would budget the other parts to spend the money on such a beauty. HOWEVER I would go with the 8300 just for 8 channel http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131354 I also have to add if you want EE...add the 5050e :)

Thanks for the post.

That ASUS board is out of my budget, and the reason I like the ASRock is b/c it supports AM3.

I want to go with Zotac but man the reviews on newegg scare me away. If there's one negative review, okay, but there's several, and at 27% 1 egg rating. :(

So I might just order the ASRock...

IMPORTANT QUESTION:
If I get the ASRock and it says "standard 1066 memory", can I still use ddr2-800 memory?? I've never built a ddr2 board that was standard 1066 with nothing else listed.

That's what I would go for. Heaven knows I understand "budget" but you often get exactly what you pay for. I don't remember ever hearing anything good about Zotac except, of course, the price ...

Thanks for everyone's advice. I went ahead and just placed the order for the ASRock. I've worked with their boards before and it's worth what you pay for.

$50 is just scaring me and I kind of want some room for upgrade, thus the AM3 support by the ASRock board. :)

GO with gigabyte or Asus the are priced the same and are identical , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131324 - ASUS

ASUS also supports AM3 chips , however giga is a new board but seems to be a promising product so they probably going to update AM3 support , both boards are feature rich and perfect for small builds , i wouldn't go with ASRock heard the costumer support is lacking and they don't warrant the boards they sell

Correction GIGA does support AM3 chips

Socket AM3
Motherboard Model GA-MA78GM-US2H(rev. 1.0)
PCB 1.0
Vender Model Frequency L2 Cache L3 Cache Core Name Process Stepping Wattage System
Bus(MT/s) 5200
AMD Phenom II X4 925 2800Mhz 512KBx4 6MB Deneb 45nm C2 95W 4000 F2
AMD Phenom II X4 910 2600Mhz 512KBx4 6MB Deneb 45nm C2 95W 4000 F2
AMD Phenom II X4 810 2600Mhz 512KBx4 4MB Deneb 45nm C2 95W 4000 F2
AMD Phenom II X4 805 2500Mhz 512KBx4 4MB Deneb 45nm C2 95W 4000 F2
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2800Mhz 512KBx3 6MB Heka 45nm C2 95W 4000 F2
AMD Phenom II X3 710 2600Mhz 512KBx3 6MB Heka 45nm C2 95W 4000 F2

cpu support list from giga website only partial , here is linky to full list http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2995#anchor_os

ASRock provide 1 year warranty service to Authorized Distrubitor ONLY, users should refer to the retailer or original vender RMA & Refund policy. For non Direct Customers, there is a $35.00 service charge + shipping for each item.

Just an FYI thats from ASRock site

Last edited:
All AM2+ boards "support" AM3 with a BIOS update if not straight out of the box.

The title of that Asrock board is misleading. It is not an AM3 motherboard. AM3 motherboards use DDR3 memory.

For the next couple of years AM3 processors will have both DDR2 and DDR3 IMCs so they will function in the older AM2+ chipset motherboards.

AM2/+ CPUS will not function in a AM3 motherboard however since it is a 938 pin socket to prevent this from happening (and AM2/+ CPUs do not have a DDR3 IMC)

<snip> i wouldn't go with ASRock heard the costumer support is lacking and they don't warrant the boards they sell

ASRock provide 1 year warranty service to Authorized Distrubitor ONLY, users should refer to the retailer or original vender RMA & Refund policy. For non Direct Customers, there is a $35.00 service charge + shipping for each item.

Just an FYI thats from ASRock site
The same can be said for Biostar unless you buy it straight from their site - only they charge $45 ...

Back